1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NBA Draft - A Question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Pop_Smith, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Ok, this may sound real weird to ask on a tech. forum but I figured I could anyway. I know that one has to be real talented to get into the NBA but what, in your opinion, is one of the best ways to get noticed by talent scouts?

I have seen people in the paper and heard about how they get drafted off their college team. Do you have to be going to a college to get picked for the team? - Answer: Yeah, I guess that kind of makes sense but I wasn't sure until I looked around a bit after I posted that question.

Also, do you think playing on a college basketball team is the best way to get drafted into the NBA?

Thanks for the thoughts on the subject!

Peace

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  2. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

kobe bryant didnt play college ball i dont think

college is the best opportunity i gues scause there are always scouts (even though i dont live in america) i hear about it so its really your decision

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Yeah, Kobe was (from what I remember) drafted while he was in high school or he was drafted just after he graduated.

I am going to look up the D-League I thought it was a thing where rookie/newer NBA players go to improve their game but I read a thing in the news that said due to changes in age requirement for the draft scouts will be at the D-League stuff too.

I am not sure what it takes to get into the D-League but I will look into that as that sounds like something that could help me as well if I don't want to go to a college.

Thanks for the feedback Phantom69 :)

Peace

4. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

5. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

I would say that a player MUST first go into college before entering the NBA. We're talking about the "BIG-league" baby...

Its a good experience for the players as well. They don't have to rush it u know...

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

@Schwaber, yes this is the best in the world stuff.

Although going to college isn't a requirement for the Draft it is, from what I have seen, a big thing and the experience is good if you really want to get into the NBA.

Maybe if I find something to go into I will attend college this fall, that way if I don't make it into the NBA I would have a good education to get a great job if the basketball thing doesn't turn out like I am hoping.

7. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Exactly. Am glad that someone realized that going into college is more important than going to the NBA straight out of high school. It gives you more options and you know how it gets really rough when entering the NBA. If by any chance, you did not make it to the NBA, then at least you are well-educated and can have a secure job in the future.

8. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

Well now the NBA has the rule that the High School player has to be one year removed from HS to enter the draft. And be 19 years of age for elgibility.

Strat

9. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

With fatstrat's comment, yes this is the new rule and from what I remember it was done to discourage scouts from just hanging out in the high school gyms.

From what I know it was done to encourage them to look at more mature, both mentally and in their ability to play the game, players such as the ones in the D-League.

Peace