1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the NEW NINTENDO DS

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by rio001, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

XLink Kai is a program that simulates a connection between let's say two gamecubes (with bba) and lets people play network games such as mario kart over the internet. so if you have lets say a pc or laptop with 802.11 wifi support, you can use the nintendo ds to play network games with other users using the same program..i don't know how the network feature that is implemented in the ds really works for internet play, but i think if it doesn't support this feature, XLink Kai will make it work. i've read somewhere that these people might even try simulate the network comfiguration used by ds for short distance network multiplay, over the internet using this program..if this is done then multiplayer games that can be played using only one copy of the game can be played over the internet with only one person owning the game!! that would be something

2. StoneRain

StoneRain Member

So does anyone know what happens when you want to play a normal GBA game in linked mode? There is no cable to link with GBAs or DSs.

3. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

you cannot play gba multiplayer games on ds..there is no way you can link a ds to a gba, or use the wireless connectivity of the ds to play gba games with another ds

4. rio001

rio001 Member

so u are telling me that i can't play lets say shining soul II multy player even if both of us has a ds... the GBA part of the DS is only for single player only if thats so OMG THAT SUCKS!

i hope u know what i am saying..

(can the ds play multy with a another ds if the game they are playing is a GBA game?)

5. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

no you can only play gba multiplayer games with gba units only. it's not that bad considering you have a gba already and what's the reason anyway? once you get a few ds games you'll forget all your previous games. i think nintendo tried to cut the costs as much as possible so as to give ds a very competitive and attractive price

6. ikumalof

ikumalof Guest

alright i got this thing. i got super mario ds. and the controls are horrendous. first off you have to hold the y button to run. then its the b button to jump and the a button to attack!!! so you have to press three buttons to jump and attack with any speed. and you push so hard on the dpad to try and make it control like an analog stick that your hand totally cramps up. graphics are basically ps1, which just wont cut it in this day and age. then tehre's the metroid prime demo. ok you walk forward and back and strafe left to right with the d-pad. then you aim with the stylus on the touch screen, but thats not where the action is the action is on the top screen so you're moving the stylus around on the map screen. and you have to shoot with one of the shoulder buttons. its a mess and your hand feels like its gonna die after like 20 seconds. as usual a horrendous release for another nintendo failure. gc nintendo ds. its time for nintendo to simply just dissappear.

7. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

you've got something wrong with the buttons..and use the thumbstrap instead to control the touch screen. you are making your life difficult

8. rio001

rio001 Member

ya it takes time to get used to.. and for the graphics are great like come on its the 1st hand held system that is 3d and looks and is so much better then ps1 crap. and the psp doin't even get me started JUNK

9. Cuthbayne

Cuthbayne Member

well first off, change your controls, thats the easiest thing to do. and look at the size of the ps1 even though it only has ps1 power. arer you going to carry a ps1 or 2 around with you in your pocket and pulls it out anywhere to play? and why is the gamecube a fialure? its had alot of great games that are GC only

10. brian3

brian3 Guest

I just got a DS a day or so ago. I could fill a few pages with little nitpicks I have. the buttons are too close together, the thing could be lighter considering they want you to hold it one handed while manipulating the touch screen, the wrist strap is a little too short. and id be happier with a thumb ring or thimble like accessory instead of a strap you wrap around your thumb.
    That having been said, Lets look at it from a realistic point of view. The DS has the hardware to take things in a new , creative direction. thres a great deal of potential in using 802.11b wireless because with a little effort, you could have DS players sitting around their favorite WiFi hotspot and being connected Via internet server to other DS players around the world (which would certianly help in overcoming inherent troubles of handheld multiplayer gaming) a built in microphone, and last but not least, the touch screen, which im sorry but its just cool, and adds an entirely unexplored level to hand held gaming

Sure, the PSP will have better graphics and multimedia capabilities beyond anything the DS is capable of but Sony has time and time again made a point of shooting themselves in the foot by going a little overboard in their crusade agasint copyright violations (or have you already forgotten the Sony Mini-Disc Players)so admittedly, although I dont know one way or the other, im fairly skeptical that taking advantage of these new capabilities will be more work than their worth. the biggest question that came to my mind was "How will the PSP store all this multimedia? seeings how it has no means of mass storage:
    and seeing how only sony is going to be making these UMD disks, youd probably be better off sticking to the medias native format (DVD or CD)

last but not least. Whos going to publish PSP games? I speculate that the DS will have a distinct advantage in this area due to the fact that Nindo is already backed by a large number of development teams whove been working wtih Nintendo based handheld systems since the good ol days of the toaster sized Gameboy

11. dsepT

dsepT Member

ROFL, im thinking "shit" im going out to buy that DS no matter what but i think in like a year or so im going to get sick of it, but really the truth you cant get sick of nintend.

12. rio001

rio001 Member

ya i got one but man 1 thing i HATE ABOUT IT.. all the good gaems come out in 1 year... someone has to get a server up or something to play multy player online and or figure out how to make the games.. like how ppl can use the flash cards for the GBA... lets go ppl lol

but i think nintnedo is doing well for its self. other then the fact like i said before that 1 year for more of the good games... but wow the ds my g/f plays it more then i do since she love the lil bonus games on mario 64 ds.. i might just have to get her a system as well ya know :)

13. halohype

halohype Guest

So is it worth getting anybody???

14. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

hell yeah!! it's one of the best and most promising console nintendo has produced. and in a year's time there will be a lot of AAA titles in stores plus don't forget that is one of the most accessible consoles for hombrew developement. a month hasn't passed yet from its release and a lot of people have found ways to exploit it one way or another! very promissing stuff from developers and they even try to port linux! so it is a hell of a machine. i'd say wait a few months for its price to drop down (it is expected that nintendo will drop the price up to $100 after the psp will be released to go head on)

15. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

let me explain the whole thing in detail for every one

yes nintendo did realease the nintendo ds no it is not a replacement for gba sp nintendo has already announced they will be realeaseing a new gba in 2006 based on nintendos n64 processor technology code named extreme gba right now

16. hijacker

hijacker Guest

Personally I don't like kiddie games which ninitendo mainly has in their library.The PSP is better with 3d graphics, so I will go with that system.

17. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

who said that the ds has kiddie games? have you seen the game line-up of either ds or psp? psp has mainly ps2 ports which would be a nightmare to play on a handheld. sony dooesn't have its own games to back-up the system and a few days back, sony made an anouncement commenting on the strong support of the ps2 and ps3, but saying nothing for the psp. so before buying the psp make a research to what's best for you and don't just say that nintendo makes kiddie games because nintendo has finally learned from their mistakes and they are changing their whole approach to the video game industry. if you want to buy the psp go ahead but in a year's time you 'll be stuck with a bunch of ports that you may already own on the ps2..

18. rio001

rio001 Member

the ds has from what i have seen a small # of kiddy games like come on.. the game XY/XX man that does not sound like a kiddy game to me.. lol

19. rio001

rio001 Member

20. Ivan1

Ivan1 Member

This is my standard response to "Nintendo makes Kiddie games":

Nintendo makes quality games for all ages. Just because I cant decapitate anyone in Super Mario Sunshine does not mean that it is only for kids, the gameplay is fun and the game concept is new and refreshing. You are suggesting that for a game not to be "kiddie" it needs to be explicitly adult. The truth is, I prefer most of the games I can play with my 11 year old sister over those "adult" games which I also play such as halflife, halo, etc. Your argument also suggests that cartoons are only for kids, or anime is only for kids; If this is the case, i'd much rather be a kid. Nintendo's gameplay and concepts are always cutting-edge, and for you to miss out on a game like Zelda - Wind Waker because it is cell shaded and "kiddie" (I actually vastly prefered it this way), well then that's your loss.

Whats so fun about "adult" games anyway? I'd rather be playing Kirby, or Mario.

Wario Ware for the GBA is "kiddie" and is one of the most unique games ever.

Denki Blocks is "kiddie" yet I cant imagine a child having the attention-span to beat all of the puzzles.

The super mario series is "kiddie" but I just played through Super Mario 3 and guess what? still fun.

Paper Mario is another example of a great game concept that is presented in a form sutible for all ages, and my sister loves it, as do I,

so on...

I prefer color over blood, I prefer laughing over being scared... call me kiddie.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004