1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Office" is too large to shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mrmarch20, Jan 30, 2005.

1. mrmarch20

mrmarch20 Member

Trying to shrink "The Office" but DVDShrink will not go past 57%. The file is too large for blank disc. Is there a way around this or is that a limitation of DVDShrink. The dual layer disc are too expensive right.

2. mrmarch20

mrmarch20 Member

Also, the disc is over 8Gb and using movie only still will not shrink properly.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

what do you mean it will not go past 57%? encoding?

Do you get any error messages?

4. mrmarch20

mrmarch20 Member

no error message. 57% was the lowest it will go to. also tried doing custom and 57% seems to be the cutoff. at 57% i have around 4700mb when blank disc is 4400mb

5. flip218

do you have both AC3 and DTS checked?

6. mrmarch20

mrmarch20 Member

only have 1 english checked and 1 english subtitled check. if i uncheck both then file size will fit blank disc but then i won't hear anything. lol

i guess "the office" disc is too packed with data.

7. flip218

No you want to keep all AC3 audio. Usually DTS if checked makes it too big.

How big are the extras, unreferenced material, etc ...?

Have you tried inserting a still image or still picture for those?

8. mrmarch20

mrmarch20 Member

it is actually the main movie that is too large. even just doing reauthoring gets me a file size larger than a blank disc. the sound option is only ac3, no dts.

is that a feature in DVDshrink that encoding will not pass 57% to ensure some semblence of picture quality?

9. flip218

are you using Shrink 3.2?

10. mrmarch20

mrmarch20 Member

to be honest, i forget. i'm going to check when i get home but i know it is the shrink i downloaded in september.

11. Dukedawg

Dukedawg Member

easy way to get by all of this is to shrink the already shrinked files .....works everytime for me....might take a little quality out though

12. Schaf1945

Schaf1945 Member

I have had the same problem (with Shrink 3.2) at 52% and at 43%. Shrink says that the resulting size will still be to big and to make sure to select Auto compression (which was set anyway) Custom ratio will not go any lower than the Auto setting. To get the size down in the past I have just pealed off any extras selected.

13. davelarge

davelarge Guest

Dukedawg as the right idea, shrink it first time compressing or replacing with stills the crap that fills the disk leaving the most size for the main title, then when shrunk redo to get it down to the 4400mb limit.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

MrDVDShrink designed his proggy to be used X2 for those Ohhh, sooo, rare times when a DVD was extremely large. When using DVD Shrink in this manner, I suggest that you use all quality settings (I like Maximum Sharpness with the Deep Analysis on the first pass - it isn't required on the second pass)

If it can fit on a single comnmnerical disc then it can fit on a DVD-5. Having said that, I don't understand why all audio tracks are left in - there are always some that can be excluded even if you want to keep all the extras, etc.

Any loss of quality will sill be difficult to detect by the naked eye (or even the well clothed eye).

Should you wish to use one of the better compressers/encoders I like DVD2One which can be used in just a single pass. I have used this proggy to put as many as 5 DVD-5 movies and 4 DVD-9 movies on a single DVD so size just is not a problem while quality (in my case) was suprisingly good.

Cheers,

Pete

15. lesigel

lesigel Member

I was able to you dvd shrink by making an iso using the backup button. Than opening the iso again through shrink and backing up to the dvd. Works great.

16. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Can reduce size of movie even more by using the Start/End feature of DVD Shrink. Remove credits entirely. Can even forgo one of the opening screens, especially if there is more than one. These measures should reduce size to allow less compression.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi guys,

The small problem with using DVD Shrink's re-author feature ~ You lose your menu functions BUT by using Nero's Recode2 (works just like DVD Shrink), you retain your menus so navigation through your DVD is possible.

Recode2, the most under-rated, under used proggy around. To use it is to love it :D)

My 2-cents,

Pete

18. flip218

I have to agree w/ Pete ... excellent program. Right now is my program of choice.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh,

Another satisified customer :)

Thanks Fred