1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The '"Official" Car-modding Thread!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by indienemo, Dec 9, 2004.

1. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Has anyone here modded their car? Bodykits, engine ups, exhausts, clutches, chips, nitrous anything at all... Please post details here, I am very interested to hear about it! My current project is to increase my Pegeot 106 by about 35bhp... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2005
  2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hehehe...the mods to my car include a seat cover and new floor mats. it's not really worth putting anything into. lol, being a student, i can't afford a decent car either. besides, i don't want to do anything to inhibit my 33 miles to the gallon of fuel :)

3. indienemo

indienemo Guest

nice mods! :);) what car have you got?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2004
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There's a exhaust kit, a K&N filter set and a set of Yokohama AVID S/T 235/70/R15's to be added to my '96 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 in the near future if that counts :)

Oh, and then there's the 40mm Bofors I'm still trying to fit in the bed :p

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

your truck a stick-shift or automatic, Neph?

6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

please dont tell me is auto :|

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i was just wondering because i have driven several automatics and manuals (currently drive a 5-speed with a clutch quickly dieing) and IMHO the stick-shifts are better for everything except drag racing, and only the well-built ones at that. lol, plus manuals are more fun. i'm betting it's an auto, though, isn't it, Neph?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  8. indienemo

indienemo Guest

autos are really bad for most things :p, especially acceleration...XD

9. Nephilim

Mine's a standard - the only way to go :)

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

lol, yeah, it's those damn torque converters. lose up to 30% of your horsepower through it. worse mileage, less reliable, and a hell of a pain to fix. have to be a certified technician to crack one open. almost anyone can work on a manual. oh well, autos are still good in pro drag racing. build them right, and they just work a lot better for that purpose. and in city driving, not having a clutch to worry about it a plus. however, i love playing with that third pedal. that matched with the e-brake on my front wheel drive car, and i do some fun stuff in parking lots :)

woohoo! go Neph! 5-speed?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  11. indienemo

indienemo Guest

im gonna go for a new exhaust slip, take out the back seats, strip it down and get a ECU chip...

12. Nephilim

Here's the new exhaust I'm looking at.

[​IMG]

Free up a few horses and give it a nice rumble :)

13. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I'm hoping to get a RWD car next year to tinker with.
    I'm debating between a '85-'87 Toyota Corolla
    [​IMG]
    or a '86-'91 Mazda RX-7
    [​IMG]

I'm really not concerned with straight line speed. I prefer tackling the twisties personally. I'm leaning toward the RX-7 for the uniqueness of the rotary engine, but that is also what scares me away because of the cost of parts.

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ah the rotary engine....developed, i'm pretty sure, during the WWII technology boom. it's quite efficient....rather surprising we haven't seen much of them in the past 60 or so years.

15. Nephilim

My buddy has an '83 RX-7 that's torn down at the moment and is in the process of being rebuilt for for road racing. The Mazda engine is a modified version of the original Wankel rotary and has a very unique sound to it. They're gas hogs but you get alot of power for the displacement :)

If I was filthy rich there'd certainly be a Mazda RX-8 sitting amongst many other cars in my garage!

On another note speaking of mods, I went to an all Mopar day (I love anything Mopar) at one of the local tracks where a guy was racing this Plymouth Roadrunner and managed the quarter mile in 8.8 seconds at 143 mph - that is friggin fast!

[​IMG]

16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

*whistles* dammmmmmn...i love Roadrunners, but that one is especially beautiful :)

17. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Definitely a nice road runner. I love the horns they put in those things. always good for a chuckle.

A buddy at work had been building his Mustang and decided to see what it could do. He takes it to the track and runs in the 10's. They greeted him at the finish line and told him not to come back until he had a rollcage in it.

One reason I like the Corolla is that it's small and light and you can fit any of Toyota's 4 cylinder engines in it, including the turbocharged 2.0 liter out of the MR2. Makes for some serious get up and go out of that small of a car.

18. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I'd personally go for the Rx-7. They look really cool, and theyre pretty cheap as well, my dad had the cahnce to buy one a couple of weeks back for $1400 for an '88 Rx. Parts are sure expensive..but hey.

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

woo! i watched a rally race this morning on tv before heading off to school and guess what i saw!?!?! My car, a Hyundai Accent (highly modified, of course), won! it beat a subaru WRX! crazy world, isn't it? oh well, it was still pretty cool. back to work before the administration catches me on a forum. damn...they're strict.

20. Nephilim

Rally's my absolute favorite type of racing. Those boys are some damn good drivers. On an asphalt track you know with great certainty how the car is going to handle and grip but when you're on the dirt all that flies out the window!

Here's another pic from Mopar day - this CHALLENGER (thanks to Auslander for reminding me) made me drop to my knees and weep with joy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004