1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The '"Official" Car-modding Thread!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by indienemo, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats a lovely car Nephilim. Unfortunately over in the UK we arent so lucky with cheap cars and cheap insurance.

I've gotten myself a 3door Ford Focus Edge with a 1.8i 16 valve 4 cylinder engine. Its a pretty decent car. However, i completed modified it to make it a lot more sportier

[bold]Brakes:[/bold]
    - EBC Turbo Groove Performance Front Discs
    - EBC Big red Brake Pads

[bold]Performance[/bold]
    - Quickshift Induction Forced Air filter
    - FSE Powerboost Valve 1.8 - injection booster
    - HKS Quickshift Clutch
    - Splitfire Performance Ignition sequence (includes remote control engine start)
    - Bluefin ECU Computer Chip upgrade

[bold]body style[/bold]
    - EGR Full Body Kit (front bumper, grill, side skirts, rear bumper & Spoiler)

[​IMG]

Also made a few cosmetic changes to the lights and other exterior systems. Inside i have all Pioneer, 7" in dash screen, two 7" screens in the headrests, Satellite Nav, 7" Sun Visor passenger screen, 12 CD changer, 6 DVD changer, MP3 player, TV Tuner, DAB tuner, Dolby Digital Surround sound system with decoder.

I upgraded the speakers - 4 x 17cm Pioneers + 4x tweeters. JBL Sub, non-enclosed, in boot.

Overall, the performance went from 0-62mph in 10.2 seconds, to 0-62mph in 8.8 seconds. The top speed is no increased as well, but i don't know what to as i havent tested it.

Its a pretty nice set-up i have to admit.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Didn't the Brits' get an all wheel Drive version of the Focus so they could rally race it. I think I remember reading something like that. And a turbo version as well.
    An American company gives the good stuff overseas and leaves us at home with the plain jane crap.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Neph, that's not a charger, man. that's a challenger. '71,i think. a very kickass car.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You're absolutely right Auslander and for the life of me I don't know why I always call chargers challengers and challengers chargers. It drove my buddy crazy that day at the races because I did just that all damn day. I was even consciously repeating "challenger" when cropping and uploading the pic because I knew I'd call it a charger if I got distracted - I got distracted.

I'm not old enough to have alzhiemers but I definitely have half-heimers :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Now this is a CHARGER!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Another great CHARGER!!

[​IMG]

*sigh*

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

lol, i find myself doing the same thing now and then, Neph. as long as there was a hemi or a 440 under the hood, there isn't a significant difference between the two ;-)

8. Nephilim

Fine, rub it in geestar! :p

9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

HA HA!! Sorry -Nephilim- I had to laugh.

10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Nice cars guys, I saw the the best and worse modded cars yet on the way into college.. Saw a relaly nice black dodge pickup, with black tinted windows nicebig chrome exhaust and big chrome spinners then almost straight afterwards saw an old vw golf, with the back roof cut off to make it look like a pick up, it was hillarious seeing them almost straight after each other!

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

When it comes to performance, Americans im afraid just cant make the cars to compete with the Europeans. Germany beats them hands down, let alone the Italian stalians with Ferrari and Lambo....

You'd think the Americans would mnanage to get more than 500BHP out of an engine less than 4 litres, but no....they still need atleast 6 litres lol. The new Japanese Mitsibushi Evo 8 gets 550BHP from a 2.0 litre petrol engine - now thats performance to kick ass...

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yep, you can hear those gerbels just a whining. in north america(i'm canadian) you need big engines for endurance to be able to cross this continent from coast to coast. also a lot of intown roads in europe are narrow if the town/city is old so you would need small to medium size cars whereas most streets here can take 2 full size cars no problem

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yeah, here in the large US of A, you need some mighty torque and that just doesn't come efficiently from small engines...besides, the big engines can run at a lower rpm for a sweeter sound that can be run quieter when needed. the size helps with taking the stress of power, as well. :) bitch and counter all you want, nothin's sweeter to me than a blown hemi.

14. Nephilim

Auslander's right. Us Americans subscribe to a different theory for how a motor should be. It isn't the fact that we need 6.0 litres, it's the fact that we like 6.0 litres. The little 4.0 litre high revving motors are for poofs that can't handle having their guts rumbled by big block brute force ;)

15. indienemo

indienemo Guest

You know what they say about americans hasving big engines to make up for small......gearsticks ;)

16. Nephilim

Oooooooh, the truth hurts!!! :p

17. ddp

us of a is not large compared to canada. we're 2nd largest next to russia.

18. ddp

big country big head, small country small head if you catch my drift

19. indienemo

indienemo Guest

so ur saying luxembourg doesnt have a big head?? ;)

20. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - here comes the bitchin :-D

Its actually wuite the reverse. European and japanese car makers can get twice as much torque out of a car with half the engine volume than most American manufacturers can manage. Big engines only go to waste fuel and cause more environmental harm. In fact, it seems unfair to me that America and Canada pay so little for their fuel (about $1.40 US for a gallon last time i was over) whereas our equivalent price is about $7 US a gallon.

Take a Mitsibushi Evo VIII. It has a 2.0 litre engine. Now, most of you will think, "2.0 litres??? - my lawnmower has more than that". But....the 2.0 litre engine is twin turbo charged and generates 550BHP, more than a 6.0litre Ford Mustang... It also can keep up with a lamborghini murcielago without any problems. Also, take a 1.8i 16v Ford Focus, a bit like mine, and change it slightly. Go a bit further and put a turbo charger onto it for around $300 fitted. It will go 0-62mph in 6 seconds, have a top speed of 150mph and still only be a 1.8i litre engine generating around 200bhp. Also, it will still get an estimated 35 miles to the gallon.

Now, I know its hard to get the great sound of a car, without having huge capacity in the cylinders, but really, its not about tourque, performance, durability, low revs or anything like that. Its about making a muscle statement....so don't be kidding yourselves ;-)