1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastaprk, Apr 17, 2004.

1. spaul40

spaul40 Member

spaul40,
    Please do me a favor and humor me. Just leave the Frozencpu.com and see if it changes anything. If I go back to the previous page the problem disappears.

Thanks,
    Russ[/quote]

Damn! Why didn't the link take you/me to the exact page I was on? I guess I need to test the links I post to make sure they don't take you to where you don't want to be. Thanks again Russ.

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Hey, does anyone have any experience with phase cooling? I've been thinking about it for a while but can't decide if it'll be more of a pain than it'll be worth.

3. navskin

navskin Regular member

Hi guys

dose anyone know of this cooler for the old Pentuim 4 HT its a CoolerMaster CI4-7I52A-X2, well thats whats it says on the box.
    i have done some google searchs, but only ome up with jap sites
    and they dont give any about or pic about the product.

Description of the cooler its self.

It has an 80mm fan on the top with a cooler master logo on the fan. The metal heat sink on the bottom of it half steal then on the bottom the steal it has a big copper pad with four screews in each corner.

i have had a look om cooler masters site but i can find any thing on the main section and the legacy section.

thanks for any help

graham

4. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Anyone know of a solid long lasting 60MM fan?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

6. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Those looks pretty standard to me

Currently i am looking at this
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3890

Its a shame they don;t make fans with magnetic bareing in the 10-15MM spec.

I forgots I needz them in 15MM thinkness or less.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZippyDSM,
    You won't be finding any long lived 60mm fans in that size then for obvious reasons. Not enough room for decent bearings! Generally I used to buy two, knowing they would fail within 6 months or so. Now I use the Antec and Vantec for all my chipset cooling, particularly on old AMDs (AM2 on down)!

Here's two that I've used before when space was tight. They do last better than sleeve or Hydro bearings!
    Rexus 15mm
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705034
    Rexux 10mm
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705049

Russ

8. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Well I need them for HDD cooling, just mainly to have air flow on the HDDs, I do not trust a fanless HDD.

I wonder I uld fit a mag bearing enermax on the end of the HDD... mmmm it should fit..mmm then again mag bearing+HDD = bad idea? LOL

I have a speed fan to extend the life of those lil bastards some.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZippyDSM,
    Not to burst your bubble, but anything but a ball bearing flat doesn't last. Mag bearings are the worst, as they get dust in the mag parts and start making noise fairly quick as soon as they wear off the Teflon surface. The rpms going up and down because of the friction is annoying. Also, that fan you linked has a bunch of flaws to it. First thing is the blade design is poor and noisy. Second it ain't ball bearing. BTW! Avoid Silenx, they suck and they lie about the noise level badly. They know that they won't last the warranty, but who wants to ship a fan where the shipping costs more than the product? They take advantage of that to their own profits! Mag bearing and all, the Silenx 40mm didn't last three months before it started screeching and vibrating!

Russ

10. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Dun pop my noob cherry :p

I been running the enermax mag bearing for alil more than a year now and its not failed,slowed or made noise I have 2 80/80 and 120, its done better than nearly any over fan I have had.

the 60MM like going out in 9-14 months, I have a hand full of 80X8- go out over the years but every since I been running HDD fans ...well....UHG..... almost yearly fan changes for them... I have managed to grease them to get another year out of them..but its a annoying and messy process.

Would I be wrong in amusing noise level=lower speeds=longer life?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZippyDSM,
    My oldest Silverstone, 120mm and 80mm were 3 years old in August, and I sold the computer about 2 years ago to the same person who bought my E6750!

We live in a very dusty environment here in So Cal, and I smoke! That being said, it looks like we are going to have another Spring like in 2000, where it drizzled every day for the better part of 2 months. You haven't lived until you catch a bad cold and break a rib coughing, with a very loud and painful snap! I was in the Hospital Emergency room, and every head turned! That's how loud it sounded. I actually thought I had been shot, but no blood! LOL!!

Pneumonia is something you have to be very careful of in Dry Enviroments. The Fatality rate is much higher as well! My Brother in law died in 95 from that! He drowned in his sleep from all the fluid in his lungs! They were living in las Vegas at the time! It don't get much drier than that!

Russ

12. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

ya I know some fans can last 5 years if not more, but I constantly run my system so I have more issues with fans, got a aero case with a nice 19CM side fan and finally my case temps are down to responsible levels, enough to where my 88000 dose not over heat anymore but I am still crazy about HDD levels.
    I dig the mag bearing fans I clean them every few months and seem like they are doing well, if they last till the end of the year another year that's almost 2 years of constant running if they last then they are pretty decent lil fans.

Just got a new mobo as well and loving it.

I really need to get a 700+ watt PSU while I can tho..my 550 X connect is getting old..
    -------------
    Have gall balder surgery then sneeze, god I was in the hospital a week due to being infected....

I also suffer from constant head colds and sinus infections(mildewy bwains perhaps). LOL

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In my experience, Ball bearing fans tend to fail more often than Sleeves (though agreed, this isn't always the case for 15mm thick fans). Save the silverstones which were potentially destroyed by being run through an inappropriate controller (the third is now on its way out - max speed dropped from 2400rpm to 2200rpm in one night - I'm using it as a modem fan, full speed is necessary, a 1600rpm Scythe didn't cut it!), I've had 4 or 5 ball bearing fans fail, some cheap Casecoms, a couple of generic (I think Sunon) and a Thermaltake. My FDB Hiper 80x15mm fan is still going strong at 2 1/2 years, as are all five of my Nexus fans of various age, all five Scythes (3xSFF21F, 2xKaze White).
    I've had one PSU fan bearing go out, in a Hiper 480W non-modular, before they used the amphenols. The Noctuas didn't exactly fail but they got noisy after a couple of weeks, a problem that seems to affect at least 3/4 of all Noctua 120mm fans sold.
    I've actually yet to have a graphics fan fail, though I'm sure I've tempted fate by saying that.
    In short, Ball bearings fail often (especially cheap ones), Sleeve bearings not so much. However, I don't come from a dustbowl like Russ here. I strongly agree that's the most probable cause.

14. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I don't like dust build up in my PC when I see it I clean it...now its it in my room hell will freeze over before I clean it....LOL

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha quite right too. Even so, despite the dust buildup in my case, it's nowhere near the scale that Russ seems to have.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    This house was empty for 6 months, and Russell had to muscle the door open. About an inch a month! The Old lady that owned it wasn't able to look after it properly. He shoveled the floors! LOL!! Right now the weather is all screwy all over the state. I'm pretty sure it because of that Volcano in Alaska. We are right at the beginning of the San Andreas Fault, and we've had a couple of strong and long earthquakes in recent months! Now California's Suddenly are having a drought in Northern part of the state! Strange happenings! Strange happinings Indeed!

Russ

17. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Is there a PSU thread around here?
    I need a 700-1000W PSU that's well built(doh!) has modular cables that's under 150$.

I guess a enermax modu 82, 625watt for 150 is not to bad..I don;t think coolmax,theremaltake,logisys,BFG,Danya power are quite up to snuff...

mmmm 99 for a 700wat raidmax brand ...nice..... but is it worth it?
    http://www.directron.com/rx700ss.html

Cheap or bad brands are simply not worth the time money and effort PSU wise.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Trouble is, a 700W Raidmax is not a 700W PSU. You could get a 550W Corsair VX for that money which would be miles better.

19. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

As I said how bad is the brand :p

I do know about the low brands are about 100watts off or roughly 25%

but the only high/mid high brands I know of are Enermax and Antech.

how bad is this ??
    http://www.directron.com/cmpsu850tx.html

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh no, Raidmax are far worse than that...

Bad:
    Raidmax
    ColorsIT
    EZCool
    Coolmax
    etc.

Average:
    Enermax
    OCZ
    BeQuiet
    Antec
    Hiper