1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I know - just saying I'm not looking exclusively at AMD hardware here.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yeah, I posted about that date yesterday :p Truly unfortunate. But, I guess it gives me more time to save money, and concentrate on other things ;)

4. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

We know, Kev, you are true green all the way, sitting there waiting until next Feb for GTA to port to your PC. Well, in the meantime, there's still Angry Birds. And nudity (all over the internet, they tell me - even the Hunger Games girl.) :D

Yeah, Sam, a 4 gig ref 295 to tide you over for now - that sounds like a possible plan. What is the word on 20nm out of our AMD buddies?

Rich

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

290X, not 295 - no such thing other than the 295X2, which is, apart from being something I'd never entertain due to being water-cooled, also a bit out of my league price-wise!

20nm well, depends on the Fab. AMD are apparently now prepping a 390X to take on the refreshed Geforces this christmas, but I haven't heard any implications it'll be a 20nm part, and really, it has to be in order to make top-end cards work now, they're just too big to fit in a reasonable power envelope otherwise.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I only play Angry birds once in a while now :p I have a great deal of patience. Though I must admit, I'm getting rather impatient for the sequel to Avatar! :S

7. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Yes you're right - those big power-hungry heat-generating monsters are out of fashion! If we're gonna get on the 4k 8 megapixel bandwagon with you - they're gonna have to get the heat down.

By the way, I'm sitting here sweltering in 100+ heat right now - they say this is a record-setting heatwave in So Cal. What's the weather like in Portland, Kev, and England, Sam? (DDP I know Canada is still frozen over from the last ice age so you don't need to respond.)

Where is Jeff?

When you say "sequel to Avatar" you mean the movie, right? I did read that they had an Avatar game, but I don't know anything about it. Has anybody heard anything - I wouldn't mind playing it if it was at least halfway mediocre (and not goddawful garbage!)

I've been seeing a lot of Zoe Saldana - (Avatar) - like in some TV bit parts, the latest star trek - and I just saw her at the cine in Defenders of the Universe, which was actually a pretty amusing flick, esp the raccoon. And the tree. They stole the show, but Zoe was still hot! (Not nude - for cryin out loud Kev it was rated milder than PG!)

Rich

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh no, sadly they're still in fashion. I just don't want one - or certainly not two! :p

We had fantastic weather in July, but August was a bit of a washout. September has so far been reasonable, about 20-21ºC (68-70ºF) most days, with not much rain. Still though, I don't imagine very good compared to over there ;)

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I live east of portland about 200 miles. about 50F at night, and 75 - 80F during the day. Temperatures Have been steadily dropping :D I'm so done with summer.

Yes, I meant the avatar movie sequel. And 'nudity' is always welcomed, but I certainly don't fantasize about it every waking moment lol.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nudity's overrated. Plenty more of the body that's acceptable to have on show, you know! ;)

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

A healthy mind(minus conceit), is far more attractive ;)

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

about 60f right now.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Just over 60 here. And apparently close to 90 throughout the week! Go away summer! LOL!

14. ddp

what summer as went from winter to spring to now fall here. so much for global warming.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You're quite a bit more north than I :p I live in a semi arid region of oregon. Any less rainfall per year, and it would be close to desert conditions.

The highest temperature I noted in this area, was 108F this year.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Finally took the plunge and ordered myself an R9 290X. I happened across an XFX reference design one that had a considerable 25% off, so ended up costing me £225 before tax, including delivery. ($366 at current exchange rate).
    For that sort of money I think the reference card is worth an experiment eh?
    Not entertaining crossfire at this stage as with MST on my monitor it's still an absolute pain in the backside to get working reliably, it's going to make my PC dump heat like no tomorrow, and would also see me needing to upgrade my 850W PSU for a 1000 or 1200. So I think just the one will do for now. If AMD finally release an efficient architecture with the 300 series, I can always upgrade again! :)

17. ddp

omega, i'm located in south central ontario which appears to be inline with the middle of your state. i think you are on the lee side of the mountains which explaind the dryness of your area.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yes, considerably drier than the west side of oregon. Portland is a gorgeous green, much like Seattle. VERY dry here. My town has had maybe an inch of rainfall since early June.

But my garden is usually a contradiction. From sunflowers to Jalapenos, I love growing things :)

Can't wait to upgrade next year Sam :p

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, the windows reinstall was a damn catastrophe. MS have lost all my subscription info, and won't accept any of the license keys I wrote down. So I'm unactivated for now, and this pirate install seems to have several unusual bugs.

My UP3214Q also isn't compatible with Windows 7 properly, the USB hub isn't supported and you can't switch it off with the PC on or you'll lose the displayport signal. I kind of miss Win8 for that.

Still, on the bright side I just played the opening 20 minutes of crysis warhead. At 3840x2160. All Enthusiast. With 4xAA. At 30fps. On a £270 graphics card.

I think I'm in love ;)

20. ddp

sam, which windows are you having a problem with?