1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That's a good question Rich.

What I mean is that to get the super smooth motion of a genuine 120Hz TV, you need to run a game at preferably 100+FPS. Cheaper monitors and TVs are sometimes really 60Hz but use simulated 120Hz like the SVP Smooth Video software does. They can take regular 60FPS and interpolate it to make it look almost like real 120Hz. This means less performance demand to get the effect. It also means I can have it work in concert with my software, and be even smoother.

The downside is that it's not quite as good as real 120Hz and requires tweaking. The upside is that it can enhance 60FPS content universally, which isn't always an option on real 120Hz TVs. Many real ones require the 24FPS signal from a Bluray player directly decoding video, to do their enhancement, or a real 120FPS signal.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

So that 120Hz technology is simply not in the TV. Not the first time as the HiSense was supposed to have it as well... Kind of disappointing, but not really a downer because I did not buy the TV for that feature.

However, the TV does scale just awesome with my older 480p consoles. The Xbox in particular looks great now that the games fill the screen properly. It looks good on the monitor, but none of my previous TVs have been able to stretch the 480p image to fill the screen properly. This meant muddy graphics because the pixels were not matching to the screen like they were intended. Only happened in 3D. In the menu, the Xbox runs 720p and fills the screen properly.

It has to do with how TVs process a 720 x 480p signal, which is wider than 640 x 480, but not properly 16:9 widescreen. On a 16 x 9 TV it will show black bars on the sides in direct mode, and it needs to be stretched to the TV to give a proper pixel aspect ratio and make the game or movie look proper. DVDs do this a lot, but the player usually does the stretching for the TV. It's literally meant to have horizontal rectangle shaped pixels. Likewise, if a game is not in widescreen mode, that resolution needs to be squeezed down to 4:3 to look proper, which are vertical rectangle pixels. When presented with 720 x 480 games, my older TVs are assuming a true 4:3 signal, not 3:2, and won't fill the entire screen in stretch mode. This makes the pixels square instead of stretched horizontally as they need to be. The new TV's scaling modes allow me to scale the games as they need to look proper, as it is scaling the actual signal instead of guessing what it is. It's noticeably better looking.

The internal resolution of the games is somewhat different per game and per console. Some run 640 x 480 and some run 720 x 480, etc etc. The Xbox and Gamecube are pretty consistent 720 x 480 or 640 x 480 res for all games because development for those consoles was well regulated and standardized. The PS2 is all over the place for resolution, with lots of cool hacks done to get certain games to run weird resolutions. The Dreamcast outputs basically only 640 x 480 and Progressive or Interlaced depends on the game. The N64, PS1 and Saturn were very inconsistent and went everywhere from 320 x 240 to doubling only vertical or horizontal resolution, or even full 640 x 480 interlaced/progressive.

I am playing Metroid Prime in 720 x 480 stretched properly, and it actually allows me to expand the game wider within the signal as well, right in the game's menu. The black bars in that particular game are part of the signal, not created by the screen as with my older TVs. It is scaling to fit the entire screen. I am about 3 feet from the screen and Metroid Prime looks astounding in Progressive scan. These $200 component cables with integrated video DAC chip can really flex their muscles! The game is so detailed and clear that I don't mind having my face right in the screen. It looks very sharp for its age.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 likewise looks great! The scaling was definitely NOT right on the Coby or HiSense. On the TCL... wow, just wow. The Gamecube was incredibly capable. I'm talking almost as sharp as many 360/PS3 games under its own power! The graphics in Rogue Squadron were famously hard to emulate because of how deeply they reached into the Gamecube's abilities. Truly incredible, and worth playing on the real hardware!

PC gaming I have done very little of on this monitor, but it looks good. It shows films superbly, and it plays my older consoles in a whole new way that is superior. Color is another long tale for another day, lol but I've gotten the color to a quite reasonable setting. It's not perfect, but close. A bit on the cooler side, but very vivid. 43" still isn't too large to use as a desktop monitor. Contrast is limited but just about perfect, and brightness is pretty good.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  3. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Jeezus - gamecube, ps/2 how many games do you have - a zillion!!

I wish you were an Arma 3 guy - I just looked at an ad for Arma 3 DLC - they sent me a teaser e-mail.

https://store.bistudio.com/products/arma3-dlc-bundle2

and they have a whole new map in the tropics in a DLC arma 3 apex. The culmination of 15 years of all the work they've been doing (since the first clunky arma.)

https://store.bistudio.com/products/arma3-apex

[​IMG]

There are probably thousands of new user-generated scenarios. I could probably just play Arma3 all day long. But if you got into it - you could tell me which ones are the best bits!!

LOL

4. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Holy Moly - I just thought about Sniper Elite, and they released #4 about 3 months ago. I'm goin for it!!!