1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Graphics Card and PC gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by abuzar1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

When a game goes from single digit dips to a solid and steady 40+FPS, there's more than FSB and extra cache at work. Unless the Q6600 was truly that badly starved for more cache. And while the CPU was degrading, performance did not. It still benched about as well as it ever did.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Double due to gap in posting dates.

Rich, no there's nothing special about this Q9650 except that it has a higher stock clock. At your overclocked settings your CPU is faster by virtue of being the same exact chip at a higher speed. I'm not exactly trying to squeeze ultimate performance from the chip. I just need a CPU fast enough to reliably run GTA V and high bitrate 1080p, both of which the Q9650 does with gusto. It's quite a good CPU. It also handles Wildlands okay alongside the GTX970 but that could be better. Overclocking would help a bit.

As far as I'm aware, no Core 2-based chip ever had Hyper Threading. That was something that was axed with Pentium 4 and then resurrected for the i7 series of CPUs when it was a more mature technology.

The only really special feature on Core 2 CPUs was that the Extreme Editions had unlocked clock multipliers. Instead of OCing by turning up the front side bus, you just turn up the multi and adjust voltage to scale. That was something much more common in AMD processors at the time, and something Intel didn't do regularly until the K Series i7s. My Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition was a very notable one and also my 7750 Black Edition Kuma which was a dual core Phenom I in disguise as an Athlon 64 X2 on steroids. As well as all of my lovely Phenom IIs which were all Black Editions with unlocked multipliers. X3 720, X4 940, X4 955, X6 1090T, X6 1100T. Intel lagged behind a bit in OC-friendliness.

The Q9650 is certainly a bottleneck for the GTX970 just like the 4GHz 1100T was. Because of this, overclocking should see immediate results in most games the GTX970 is suited to. These chips seem to hit 3.8/4GHz pretty easily and I have a good cooler so I will be doing some fiddling. 3.4-3.8Ghz would be fine for me. Enough to raise the performance ceiling a bit.

My only long-term issue is I would like to increase the RAM to 16GB. Right now I have all four slots populated, so overclocking is limited(this era of Intel prefers 2 sticks only) and I would be forced to buy a new memory kit. It's DDR2 which is common but getting expensive for high capacity kits. Also, for 16GB I'm basically forced to keep using all 4 slots due to size constraints.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. harvardguy

harvardguy Regular member

Hmmmm - Ram memory - yeah when I finally do a cpu upgrade, I think I'll go for at least 16 gigs of memory - I'm running just 8 at the present time - but so far it's been enough.

I wonder about even maybe 32 gigs. That sounds like a lot, but my brother runs 32 gigs RAM in his Dell CAD workstation - of course CAD drawings are monstrous things.

Hey, game-wise, anybody hear anything about the new COD WWII?

I haven't downloaded it yet - I want to finish up Assassins Creed Syndicate first. I liked that Wildlands Fallen Ghosts DLC so much I half-way decided to play it again at hardest difficulty - but after a couple of hours, I don't know.

I DO like it, but normally I don't play a game again that soon - waiting a couple of years is a better idea.

I took a few hours and un-fogged the map, by travelling over almost all of it. I did a lot of it by river, and I realized for the first time that the water reflections are fantastic - I was travelling so much before by helicopter, I never knew river travel was so nice.

That was true also of Far Cry 2 - where you had to fight your way through a road block, then fight your way coming back again since all the same enemies had re-spawned.

Remember, Jeff, how frustrated you got with that aspect of the game play?

Sam, you played Far Cry 2 I seem to recall - that was the first game that allowed us to spread fire as a way of attacking the bad guys - which was awesome. Did you travel by river - or fight your way up and down those roads?

Kevin, did we ever get you out of Grand Theft Auto or Left 4 Dead long enough to play any of the Far Cry titles?

I didn't like those road blocks any more than anybody else. So I decided to take the river.

For the most part I enjoyed a tranquil, very beautiful, conflict-free ride.

I bypassed a lot of the frustrating repetitive conflict - fighting the same guys that had already been killed 30 minutes earlier - and so the whole gaming experience was more enjoyable.

Plus I am a total sucker for nice water reflections.

far cry 2 - very mellow, very tranquil, mostly conflict-free beautiful river travel
    [​IMG]

The river travel in Wildlands is as beautiful as anything in Far Cry 2 or in Far Cry 4.

Only Far Cry 3 is superior.

Far Cry 3 has, by far, the most fantastic water reflections of any game I have ever played. (The last Crysis was really good also but there was very little water in the game.)

Being set on an island somewhere near the equator, it seems like the Far Cry 3 devs took advantage of using equatorial warm lighting - which really is a different shade of light than what we get at the longitude of North America or of the British Isles.

(Is that right, DDP - is it longitude - or should I have said latitude?)

Gorgeous sunsets
    [​IMG]

I spent a lot of time in Far Cry 3 traveling the "croc river" which did not have any wave runners except for a wave runner in a race up at the top near the falls - at the end of the 3 minutes the race ended and you could not keep the wave runner.

But I found out that I could get the game to spawn a wave runner for me.

I ditched whatever transportation I had, and I went bow and arrow leopard hunting near the mouth of the river. I turned around, and there was my gift - my transportation of choice - a beautiful red wave runner.

And then I created a save point at one of the river safe houses, parking my wave runner right there so I could always go back to it.

Bow-hunting leopards resulted in Far Cry 3 spawning a wave runner for me
    [​IMG]

I spent hours on that river - not doing any shooting at all - just blasting up and down and sometimes colliding with the other boats that the natives were driving.

Sometimes it was fun to play "chicken" with the boats that were out there
    [​IMG]

But most of the time I didn't care if there were any other boats around - I was surrounded by intensely lush graphics.

The river was total eye-candy
    [​IMG]

Besides leopards, there were other dangerous animals.

It was especially fun to see the crocodiles eat a goat or even a native- I couldn't get too close or there wouldn't be any attack.

Man-eating crocs

[​IMG]

If you swam up behind the croc, he wasn't that hard to kill. But out of curiosity, I put myself in the position of a native one time, and I walked along the shore line to where I knew a croc was hiding. I knew exactly where the crocs were - there was always a group of lilies with distinctive white flowers.

The attack was swift and I was dead in one second before I even knew what hit me.

In addition to leopards and crocodiles, there were other dangerous critters.

Man-eating tigers
    [​IMG]

The river was probably only about 10 km in length - it went right by the airport. Here at the top it poured down into the sea about 10 meters below.

the very top of the croc river near the falls
    [​IMG]

Speaking in terms of equatorial lighting, a while back, I had the good fortune to visit Brazil several times - 3 or 4 trips - and the photos I took at Ipanema Beach in Rio had a whole different quality of warmth than anything I had ever taken before.

A professional photographer looked at some of the shots and told me that he always headed down to Rio for certain of his beach model "calendar" projects in order to take advantage of the unique lighting.

Anyway, so that was fun - running around on the Wildlands Fallen Ghosts river ways.

And I did pick up the crossbow - it's for sure not a blowgun, it's definitely a crossbow. :p

But it doesn't seem to come with any type of scope - maybe there's one lying around somewhere on the map in a gun case.

I tried it a couple of times and it makes a loud "click" when you fire it, which seems anything but stealthy (but maybe that sound is only local.) However, the enemies emit a short scream when they get hit with it - you would think that would wake up the entire outpost (but again, maybe that scream is only meant to be heard by me.)

I remain mostly underwhelmed by that weapon. :rolleyes:

I think I'll just head over to Sam's neck of the woods, and finish Syndicate over the next couple of weeks before I download WWII.

I'm also thinking of picking up TitanFall 2 since they created a single-player campaign for it which they didn't do for the first TitanFall.

Then after that, it's back to Arma3 and more of those amazingly good user-created missions - working my way through about 80 that I still haven't completed.

Unless, Jeff, you come up with another incredible tip like Wildlands.

Rich

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017