1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

ok cheers

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You gotta use it for a bit though... not just like 3-4 hours here and there but i mean like a WEEK. My PC2700 here was rebooting every 40 minutes of UT2004 or after every 10th movie encode or something like that. I slapped on the cooling for the ram and now she's happy :) (2+ weeks no anomalies)

3. erichm

erichm Guest

For checking video ram stability I check for artifacs while benchmarking. I go up about 5 mhz at a time and bench and rebench at 5 mhz higher until I start to see fuzzies on the screen. Then knock it down 1 mhz at a time until the artifacts go away. Then you should be good to go.

4. Praetor

Make sure you take breaks cuz paranoia and eyeball fatigue set in and soon everything looks like a fuzzy. It helps to kill all the lights.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Download a copy of 3dmark 2000/2003 and run it completely through once and if that works then loop it and let'er howl. If your board has the ability to monitor CPU temp and mainboard temp then keep an eye on it.

6. Praetor

3DMark isnt that effective for stress testing stuff though -- I ran a system through 4 or 5 rounds of complete tests and everything was superb ... only after using it regularly for another week or so did heat problems start to manifest.

You're prolly better off doing actual Stability Testing (i.e., Stability Tester 6.0 [Gilgamesh Build]) for 24 hours or so continuous. I dunno where you can download it anymore but if you'd like i could email it to you, leave me ur addy in a PM.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you set 3dmark to really strenuous settings such as high color, high detail, 1600 X 1200 resolution, if it's got a problem it will groan. My systems is pretty fast and I was able to make it shudder usin 3dmark2003 in the nature scene.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  8. Praetor

Yeah thats what I meant (i dont bother running it at 640x480 or 800x600 i mean 1280x1024 or higher) .. even then 3DMark only really stresses out the cpu and video subsystem and not so much the memory. There are some dedicated memory tests for that kinda stuff :)

9. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

My multiplier is set at 11x, i have a barton 3200+ i put it up to 12x but it wudnt start up except the 1st screen then it froze on the next. it works on 11.5x which is 2350mhz so wot shud i do. and how long does overclocking take off your cpu life.t ahnx alot.

10. erichm

erichm Guest

Hey Matty,

I have a suggestion. I have a processor very similar to yours. I have the barton 3000 with the 400mhz fsb. These chips do not overclock well at all. They get very hot and I think amd is pushing their rating a little too high. I have watercooled it and I could only squeez a couple hundred mhz out of it.

However, these chips can get you about 150 bucks on ebay. I would suggest getting a mobile 2400 or 2600 off of www.excaliberpc.com. I just hooked one up to my watercooling rig this morning and got 2.6 ghz rock solid stable. They are only 105 bucks for the good stepping IQYHA. You should ditch that 3200 and get the mobile.

I just got my vapochill so we will see if I can hit 3ghz.

Happy overclocking

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The lower clocked bartons and the higher bartons have the same core and as a result they have the same top limitation and either can only be clocked to about a XP3200 . As a result the XP2500 will overclock to an XP3200 and the XP3000 will overclock to an XP3200. If you want to get more numbers out of a chip don't buy one that's close to the chips maximum limit.

12. erichm

erichm Guest

I agree totally

13. Praetor

Then what might I ask the Barton3200s overclock to? Hehe ... the Barton core has an effective upper ceiling of approximately 2.5Ghz or so with forced air cooling.

14. erichm

erichm Guest

The mobiles on the other hand are a totally different story. These little guys are hand picked as the best. They nativley low operating voltage and low heat output give them a ton of headroom in the overclocking department.

I just saw that excalibure pc has updated their cpu's
    You can now get the xp2400 mobile at 35w. These guys go really fast, you WILL get a really nice overclock with those.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You might be able to push the XP3200 a little more with good cooling but it's right at the top of its game. But the cores are the same in the XP2500 and the XP3200 that's why I put the XP2500 in my wifes PC and clocked it to an XP3200 and you did the same. All I was saying is that the XP2500 and XP3000 depending on individual chips have the same ceiling. That's one reason why Erichm could only get his to clock to an XP3200.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Missed the part about you getting a VapoChill I've been wanting one of those since I first saw them on Tomshardware.com. Oddly enough,is that now I can afford one and I'm just waiting for a few technological advances in CPUs, memory fsb speeds, and PCI Express to arrive.

17. erichm

erichm Guest

The vapochill will support a pci express motherboard. The evaporator block that attaches to the cpu is extremely flexible. You can bend it in 90 degree angles no problem.

The only problem I think it would have would be with a BTX motherboard. But I am not worried about that. I don't want to change my form factor because intel's cpu's run to hot. Besides the only advantage it gives is for the cool air on the bottom.

18. cgram7

cgram7 Member

I realize that I'm a little late on this thread,but i was hoping someone would be willing to give advice I have a P4 (northwood)2.8 chip clocked @ 3.2. I had to reduce the ratio on my generic memory(no name 1024MB PC2700) from 4:5-1:1 to get it stable is there any other way of controlling Ram speed other than this? if i up the DDR voltage can i possibly get back to 4:5 or will i just fry it. thanks for any info.

Abit AI7
    P4 2.8
    2x Maxtor 160GB 7200 SATA (8mb)
    2x512MB pc 2700
    Geforce 5200
    Teac 8xDVD+RW(crap)

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I also have the P4 2.8 but at 3.149 with a high speed zalman heat sink/fan. I'm using Corsair Xtreme CAS2 PC 3200. I find that pushing the P4 any higher would require me to underclock my memory which isn't worth it for any small gains I might get if I have to set slower memory timings. My current memory settings are 2-3-2-6.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  20. Praetor

Get back to 4:5 -- what do you have now? (i was going to suggest you set your ratio to 4:5 hehe -- if thats what it is you probably dont have much headroom left then)