1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Core temps are totally irrelevant because of how often they're wrong. The main CPU temp is what defines throttling/shutdown, and that's what I've always used.

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

If you've been talking main cpu temp the whole time then my WC temps will match what you think I should be getting a lot better lol. I go by core temp because that's what I see everyone else going by; completely slipped my mind that you go by main cpu temp. Couple minutes of linpack/IBT and my main cpu temp is still below 40C :)

IIRC that's close to what I have, would need to check bios to get the actual numbers though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I sincerely doubt that it was actually below 22-23C. A 70F room is 22C, and a very chilly room temp.

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I don't like it when my digi says 69F LOL! Which it has. That was a fairly chilly night. Gotta heavy blanket though :D I believe the CPU temp was between 26 and 27C idle.

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

That's a good buy for 1G of GDDR5 (the video card)
    I edited my misquote on my 4GHz profile temps and vcore for i7 920 & 930. The 930 only needed 1.283v where the 920 needed close to 1.30v with idle temps of 34~36c dual fans in low. The CPU IHS on mine are almost always 12~15c below ocre die temp. So mine in idle reads 20c at that same 4GHz (IHC temp) when die is 34c. (36/34/36/33)

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

once again im only reporting what i saw. I have no reason to lie.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Didn't say you were, merely saying coretemps are unreliable at best :p

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,

That was the furthest thought from my mind. I just know how unreliable Core Temp can be!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Had a really long BC2 session this morning. Got the vent closed so my room is slightly cool.

[​IMG]

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

idle temps are meaningless on the 45nm 775 cpu as they got so far off track the further away from the tjmax but i also have doubts about intels claims that its 9c for the q9550. if my tjmax is 95c it means my cores would currently be sat around 21c, which is above ambient but 3c bellow the socket its in :/ i use 100c tjmax as a guide but tbh i only pay attention to it at silly high speeds if im trying to work out whats causing any crashes.

having said that they are more realistic than the amd stuff i have seen, i was playing with an athlon x4 the other week and it thought the cores were in the 35/40c range while the board was reading 50c for the socket under load and 13c cores at idle. amd run cool but not that cool.

temps are just meh, if stuff gets too hot it will slow then shut itself down and thats about the only time you need to worry about them.

any how, i cant believe this thread is still alive and kicking :eek: it was a couple of years old when i first posted and i now have a daughter thats younger than it xD

erm yea, been a while. bye.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ummm, look at my temps and tell me they are unrealistic... Those sensors have been reading the same way since I started OCing Phenom II and they have never given me unrealistic temps. I do trust them.

Also remember that not all motherboards are created equal. 35-40*C certainly does sound reasonable for an Athlon II X4, considering I have been OCing AMDs for over 5 years now. The 50*C at the socket is the temp I would be wary of. My OVERCLOCKED Phenom II barely hits 50*C at the cores let alone at the board. I have no problem believing an Athlon II X4 at stock speeds can do 40*C under load with the stock cooler.

Well you are behind the times then. Phenom IIs especially are sensitive to heat. When OCing, 55*C is the cap for increasing clockspeed. After your CPU starts going above 55*C, it starts eating into your overclocking headroom. So I would say watching temps is VERY important.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

How cool us as well. We had 2 new arrivals since and oldest is 3 back in November.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Fair enough but you're arguing a generation and a half behind. The X2 6400+ was a 125W TDP Windsor dual core that was famous for running hot. Those temps aren't far off from what my Windsor X2 4400+ pulled at 2.6GHz with a Freezer 64 Pro. Idled in the high 30s and loaded in the high 50s.

In argument for the Athlon II X4, it is a much more modern low-end quad chip with its L3 cache disabled. It has a 95W TDP and is based on a 45nm process. The Athlon 64 X2 6400+ was based on the 90nm process. The newer chip is going to run cooler simply by its design.

Also, check out my specs before you decide whether or not my temps are real. I'm using the same closed liquid loop CoolIt Eco 120 that Russ is using with two high pressure 1600RPM fans. I assure you these temps are quite real and were recorded at about 70-75*F. No special tricks here.

The 6400+ was a Black Edition correct? I would assume it'd be easier to OC with the multiplier than with the FSB. And no board limits that way as well.

Every i7 I've ever seen runs WAY hotter than any modern Athlon since Brisbane debuted back in 2006. Both sides have designs that run hot, but the i7 runs hotter than everything else. I've seen lots of people switch up to liquid cooling just to OC it at all. If you want to make a fair comparison the Intel Pentium D was more akin to the i7 in heat output.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 6400s didnt overclock much as they were right at the end of the possible clock speed range of the chips back then. As for the heat argument, maybe in terms of CPI temp because of the larger heatspreaders on AMDs but the heat the Phenoms put out even at stock is phenomenal.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Phenoms no longer exist! AMD stopped production on them a while ago, and I think the only Phenom based chip left is the 7850 Kuma Dual Core, and it runs very cool on air.

There's exactly 1 socket AM2, and 3 AM2+ CPUs left! All the rest are socket AM3, modern 45nm chips, and all run cool! Even the Phenom based 7850 ran cool. My 955BE ran cool on air with a Freezer 64, overclocked to 3.8GHz. It's 78F/25.5C in here right now and mine is idling at 28-29C with the CoolIt!

Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ, You should know I'm referring to Phenom IIs. I wouldn't bring original Phenoms into the discussion when they aren't being discussed, for no reason.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Then you're suggesting Phenom II's are hot. And yet the only hot one i'm aware of is the 940. It is, it really is LOL!

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Sorry, but you did say Phenom. I'm with Oman7 on this one, although I think all the C2 stepping chips ran warm. The 125w C3's all run cool! The only one left with C2 stepping is the 940BE, so that's one chip out of their entire lineup that runs warm!

Russ