1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've had to do some creative stuff to my secondary to run cool with that beast! Now, at full load I never see it go over 51 - 52C. And that's high load(X264 encoder). Keep in mind that its heat sink is the 965's stock cooler. Nothing fancy, just a stock cooler, with a 500mhz overclock.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've found it to be quite different Sam. The only Phenom II I remember running hot at stock was my 140W TDP 940(YES YOU READ RIGHT 140W NO IT'S NOT A TYPO). It was one of the original "AM2+ only" chips. In stark contrast this 955 ran quite cool with the stock cooler. Not any better or worse than the several Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads I've seen and used.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Again, I'm not referring to the actual operating temperature of the chip, I'm referring to the physical heat output of the chip, which of course is directly related to its power consumption. At stock, an X4 965 [it may have been a 140W stepping chip though] was being used in a system with a top-exhaust cooler and case fan, and the amount of heat that was coming out of it was enormous, probably slightly more than my Q9550 was when it was overvolted all the way up to 1.4V for 3.87Ghz.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

As far as energy dissipation goes I'll give you that. AMDs do throw some heat. Even my 955 will warm the room up a bit. But for the kind of staggering heat output you're talking about it almost has to be a 140W C2 chip.

Haha well aware Russ! Actually kind of nostalgic for older chips though. Really miss my 4400+. AFAIK it's still around and currently unused, should see to getting it back.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I dont have my old AMD's running anymore but I can say these new i7's can put out some heat overclocked. Even on water, keep in mind, if is is removing that heat, it has to go somewhere and in a aveage 10x10 room, it warms up well. My notebook with a Core2 EE gets hot but not like the i7 model, and my Core2 Quad EE (older QX9300) is a big 45W pushing 1.24v at 3.064GHz. I melted my laminate (back ridge) on my portable laptop table, lol.

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i was gonna post, if its outputing the heat surely its workingwel then?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    Yeah, but as what, a warming tray for the Barbecue Grill? I've seen some outrageous temps for some of the Core i7s on some of the overclocking forums. 80C is far from unusual. Our Rick managed 103C with a Q6600 in an old fashioned case, with 2 80mm fans. He says, "it slowly get's up to 103C and crashes"! LOL!! I got him to redo the thermal paste with MX-2 and he says, "it don't go over 96 anymore!" ROFL!! Oh! His isn't even overclocked! :)

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can't blame a CPU on a faulty cooler. The Q6600 in my friend's PC runs well within spec at stock speeds, in a dell case with nothing but a small intake case fan, and the PSU fan. Likewise, my Q6600, even overclocked, ran fine with the CPU fan at 500rpm, and all the case fans switched off in my compact NZXT case.
    This is turning to an Intel hatefest with increasingly less credible tales of how they supposedly run crazy hot.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

This is not an Intel hatefest at all. Go to any of the big overclocking forums, find the core i7 threads and there are many people complaining about being uncomfortable hitting 80C with them. Rick's temps With his Q6600 have been documented here before, and he has a "new" Old style, no name case that he bought years ago and never used. He doesn't even know what brand the fans are. He says they came with the case! The Phenom II owners on this thread have stated that they haven't had any heat problems with theirs, except Oman7 with his original 940BE, and Nuck with his older X2 6400+

You also said, "As for the heat argument, maybe in terms of CPI temp because of the larger heatspreaders on AMDs but the heat the Phenoms put out even at stock is phenomenal." You also mentioned the Phenom IIs pushing massive quantities of heat out of the top of your friends case with the 965BE. As far as I know, the 965BE came out at the same time the 125w C3 955BE did and was 125w and C3 from the beginning. The original 940BE and the 955BE had C2 stepping and were 140w. Even the 940BE is now 125w, but still with C2 stepping. I think the "massive" heat you mention was the combination of everything in the computer. Chipset, video card, Memory, VRMs, HDDs, and anything else in there that makes heat. I'm sure the CPU contributed it's share, but I doubt that it was the main source. My ambient temp in here right now is 26C, and I just got done checking the air temp of the 2 exhaust fans and the PSU. All are reading 27C with the CPU running at 29-30C.

I don't see a thing I wrote here less credible at all, and I personally resent the remark, because enough people have complained on other Overclocking forums about very high temps, to validate what I said. Some of them do run crazy hot, at least I think 80C is crazy hot!

Just google "core i7 running hot" and you will get about 2.970,000 results. On the first page alone there's two at 100C or over and two at 90C. I didn't even have to open anything to see that! One guy burned his leg with a core i7 macBook. He said the CPU was running at over 100C. I don't think you can OC a MacBook! If 100C isn't Crazy Hot, then I don't know what is!

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No Russ, as the graphics cards were rear-exhausting. This is simply CPU-only heat coming out the top of the case, as it was in my case.
    What google returns you is a completely baseless and irrelevant search as it will bring up links to cooling products and so on, or even completely random posts, such as graphics cards running hot, posted on forums where people have i7s in their signatures.
    As much as you resent lack of credibility, I resent the heat accusations against core 2s and core i7s having built several systems to these specifications and maximising quietness, not cooling, having had no real cooling issues to speak of. An early i7 940 stepping with a huge voltage increase running overclocked to 4Ghz didn't even reach 80C on an air cooler. To say the CPUs overheat stock is simply false, and people reporting such results have problems with their cooling setup or are being downright stupid with voltages.

Also, what does laptop chips have to do with it? Everybody knows sticking top-end CPUs in laptops causes heat issues, it has done right from the start. AMD laptops statistically overheat far more than the Intels, so that's also completely wrong.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I don't need a war here as somebody(s) will loose & it won't be me, understood!!

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not trying to start a war. I just don't want false information blindly plastered here.

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i agree. DDP (diamond dallad page?) puts out the most heat! Can we all agree on that and move on?

:p

<3's, ya ddp :D

14. ddp

shaffaaf, my intials predate diamond dallas page as those intials represent the 1st letters in my full name minus 1 letter.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

was a joke btw, but that actually a cool fac to know :)

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I know i'm no overclocker but my Q6600 runs at stock, Antec 900's fans are always on full and i run Seti@Home/MilkyWay@Home the whole time the machine is on, and with a homemade filter covering the front fan grills the temps (as shown by Core Temp) run between 58C and around 65C. I know some of you don't rate Core Temp but it's all i use in Windows and all runs stably. (I also run Seti & MilkyWay 24/7 on my stock Vostro 200 at work (E2180 Dual Core but i can't get the temp sensors running in Puppy linux on that machine so don't know the temps, however Vostro 200 fans are totally silent so all is good).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  17. ps3lvanub

ps3lvanub Regular member

I've got one of them Q6600. The thing also has out of the box cooling. (I'm running an Acer Aspire E700 with 4gig of RAM and a 5450 HD GPU) I'm suprised it's lasted this long. Good thing it's not possible to overclock the f**ker with my mobo because I don't think I could trust myself :D

-James

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

ermmm spam?

19. ddp

fried spam anybody?

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, you've got more experience than I overclocking the northbridges on the gigabyte boards. When instability is met, how does it manifest itself?