1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

It usually doesn't complete the boot into windows and resets, BSOD's and resets, or BSOD's and resets under load! Sometimes it just resets!

Russ

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

When it's a voltage problem, my screen artifacts then the system resets. When it's a northbridge problem, it usually BSODs or resets about 10 seconds after you put any load on it.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok. I'm gonna doubt my NB then. I used to think that firefox was locking my system up. Now I don't know what it is. Hope my second velociraptor isn't acting up already!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

The one thing I never encountered was lock ups. I could run DVDRB/CCE and it would get anywhere between 1/4 and 2/3 of the way through it, and very briefly Blue Screen and then Reset. Lockups would be more likely some sort of memory problem, and be related the the memory controller in the CPU, rather than the data transfer between the NB and the Memory controller. I don't know what speed your NB is running at, but I had mine at 2600MHz, and the HT link frequency set to 2200MHz, and it would do as I just described above. I lowered the NB Frequency to 2400MHz, and it hasn't blue screened or rebooted since! The end result was the computer runs much smoother, and the performance hit is very minor, as is a very slight decrease in memory bandwidth. Heat is a total non-issue!

Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

When it does lock up, I notice that the hard drive activity LED is FULL on. And yet there's no clicking away from the hard drive. It's like the hard drive is working, and yet not. Weird eh? It's like nothing nothing nothing, and then I hear the hard drive come back to life. Weird...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know I've only really been overclocking Intels, but I almost never see a system lockup with the HDD led still on. When that's been the case, usually it's been the drive at fault, not the board/an overclock. Still, AMDs might be different, I don't know.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's what mine was doing when it started not posting. The HDD light would be on all the time and you could not shut down the computer by pressing and holding the power button. It would just hang like that before the post and I would have to turn the computer off manually via the switch on the PSU. If I let it sit for about 5 minutes and then turn the PSU switch back on, it would usually post and start right up. I thought at the time that it was the PSU because of the very low 3.3v reading, but now I'm not so sure. The day after I installed the new PSU, it shut down on a re-boot. At the time I thought that I must have chosen Shut Down instead of Restart, and didn't think anything about it, as it hasn't done it since. Now, reading Kevin's last post, I'm not quite so sure. I know that I have some messed up files in XP Pro, probably caused by the low voltage, because a number of little things just don't work properly, like Newegg. I can't change anything in my Profile or delete an item from my cart, only move things to my wish list' It shows the wrong zip code, and I can't change it. It reads correctly in my profile as 92410, but in my cart it reads as 92350. I think it's making some sort of random calls based on the registry entries, and that's what caused the shutdown. I get strange error messages when running some things, where it says a needed file can't be found. I'm going to do a fresh install of XP in the next few days and see if that takes care of the problem. I tried to do an upgrade on it yesterday, and it shows a file that can't be found, and stops the install. It's always worked before, but this time it was no go! I'm going to wipe the partition and do a fresh install with XP-Pro SP3, and see how that works. I have a feeling, that might just be the problem. I have a very strong feeling that this might be one of those new worms that is going around at the moment that attacks the registry and hard drive. Russell's has been doing the same thing for a month now, only his has gotten so bad it takes two or three tries to get the computer to run right. Once up and running, it will run for days with no problems. I suspect this is all related, because my next door neighbor just had his eMachine repaired under warranty and they didn't put any Anti-Virus in it (the original Mcafee was expired). I wasn't feeling well so I didn't get to look at it, and I told him not to use it, but you know 14 year old kids, they think they know everything, and his is now showing some of the same signs. The only common denominator is that we all have the same version of Malwarebytes that was given to me by a friend. I think I will go back to the free version or else buy the Pro program. It could even be a bug placed there by Malwarebytes for all I know. That's what I get for using nackered software! LOL!! Someone offered me a nackered copy of Secure Systems '1 Click Fixer', and he had problems until he removed it from the computer. One thing is for sure, only the free version of Malwarebytes will be installed when I wipe the drive and install XP-Pro SP3, unless I buy the pay version. M$ is getting worse too. It not only searches your hard drives and removes cracks, it disables and removes the installed programs using those cracks as well! When I say removes, I mean literally removes everything, registry items and all. You can't find a trace of it even with Registry crawler, and there is nothing left in the program files, not even an empty folder to show that it was ever there. No Cookies, no nothing! I'll let you know next week how it all works out. I do know that I am 100% certain that it has absolutely nothing to do with my current hardware, or my overclock, and I won't be putting anything in it unless the software is 100% legitimate.

Stay Tuned,
    Russ

8. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Omegaman If your running AVG 2011 on win7 64 bit I had this happening along with you tube locking up. Had to revert to AVG 9 .

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

@ChrisC586,

One thing is for certain, I'm going to find out! I've changed every piece of hardware in my computer at least twice. The only thing that hasn't been changed is the fans and case itself! The motherboard has been changed 3 times, and Gigabyte reported that nothing could be found wrong with the three motherboards, save the first one that had a bad Southbridge. I've been building computers for over 22 years, and I've never seen anything like it!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No, no avg. I only run Malwarebytes. I'm gonna reinstall windows over the weekend probably, and watch the system like a hawk. I'm really hoping it's software based.

11. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

I would personally recommend something along side Malwarebytes, I find Comodo I.S. to be very good and not a resource hog, also overclock friendly :)

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Malwarebytes has always found all the nasties. That's why I'm so comfortable with only that. Plus it seems to be the most powerful at removing the SERIOUSLY nasty. When I google, I'm highly careful About whose sites I enter. But who knows. I do like AVG's link scanner ;)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

Here's a little something that has saved my butt a few times. AVG's Recovery CD! It's very useful, and doesn't matter what AV you have on your computer. It boots up from the CD, so there is no resident OS or drivers involved.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd-download

I downloaded the ISO so it boots from a CD. I prefer that to using a Memory stick, because not all memory sticks are bootable, and it's more reliable than a memory stick. BTW, I have had a system reset on bootup, when I forgot to remove the ATI drivers when I switched back to the 9500GT video card. I brought it up in safe Mode and ran Driver Magician. No more crash/reset! LOL!!

Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Why would I need that russ? If there is a nasty bug on the system, Malwarebytes in safe mode has always worked. I don't mean to knock your method, simply curious is all.

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Please explain. Not all machines boot from USB due to BIOS limitations but I've never seen a USB stick unable to be format as FAT32 and have a DOS bootup added to it.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

It's just something good, for free, and works! It does remove things that Malwarebytes doesn't!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Noted ;)

You did have to remove your motherboard to remove the NB heatsink eh?

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Friggin spammers...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,

I was going to answer it with "You go fly Kite! Attach key, wire. Free electricity"!

Russ

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL!

So russ, you don't do any X264 encoding do you? I'm sure curious to know your NB temps while stressing your board at the maximum. X264 is more strenuous than your average Stress test.

I seem to average 48C on the Northbridge while 3 of my cores are peaked. MAN I want the 1090t :( I also want a Wii though. Priorities, priorities ;)