1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

On the right motherboard you may get 700 Mhz, but finding one cheaply now is a false economy, if you want to stick amd, go for a 6 core piledriver if you want to OC or if you want performance out of the box with OC potential an i5 rig.

Sam Have you tried the thermalright True Spirit 140 I find it an awesome cooler for around £30 outperforms the corsair closed loops except the h100. but has made me build a case extension because of its 170mm height, super quiet too :)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've used Thermalright coolers almost exclusively for the past few years, have about four Ultra-120s and one HR-01 4U for my rackmount case. I haven't tried any of the newer ones as it has been a while since I've bought a full size one.

I'd obviously like to point out that if upgrading to a new AMD CPU you'd need a new board anyway!

3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Ah well the True spirits are top notch, even @ 4.5 ghz my temp only just peaks at 50c under full stress, idles @ 30c and whisper quiet fan never needs to go faster than 1000rpm, the size of the cooler is a problem for most cases, so currently in a prototype case extension I had fabricated, And flat packed Cases are in the pipeline too, all panel dimensions are the same, but you can choose the material and finish is the aim :) Prototype case has my old 5000 x2BE in it @ 3.4ghz and even with the freezer 13 running full tilt its silent :) to the point you can actually hear the tiny squeels the monitor makes at times XD and only 1 case fan needed, did have my Fx8120 in it for a short while and with just the 1 140mm case fan the temps were the same as the case its in now which has 3 120mm fans :) I have to thank the thermright cooler for coming up with the idea's used in the case, may even have to bundle a truespirit 140 with each case as its such a great combo :)

I nearly went rack mount for my pc too, as I have some space in with my synths and rack, but it made it quite a task using it at other premises, will prob build an i5 system up to leave in the rack so I can carry my baby around with me.

@ aldan if you copy across your settings from the foxcon OC software to your Bios you may be able to get a tiny bit more out of the cpu on the foxcon motherboard. but to be honest I think you wont go much further, you may just get rid of the unnecessary process you have running in the background running the foxcon OC software, thus freeing your system up a little. if you are running x64 based operating systems you will benefit more from extra ram if you have 4gb or less in the system.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

thanks for the input guys.i am using speedfan and the highest temp i got from anything was 63c.i think i will leave it as it is.it was just an experiment for me.you are right about not going much higher than 2.7ghz. it got unstable when it hit 2.8ghz,so i backed it off to 2.75 and so far its fine. the system is an old one: motherboard foxconn m61pmv. cpu amd phenom 8650 @2.3ghz. ram 4gb ddr2 400mhz. amd radeon hd4870 video card. power supply 550w,antek i beleive.win7 ultimate 64 bit os.this was my first venture into overclocking so i was ultra cautious.right now its running very cool with the stock cpu cooler.i tend to beleive speed fans readings as i have had the cover off and checked it with a thermal probe and the readings were pretty close. thanks again.Al

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

aldan, that is a very respectable OC with that hardware, the CPU especially. It usually takes quite a capable motherboard to coax an OC like that out of a Phenom I. And you're also running an nForce 430 MCP chipset(basically nForce 4 for AM2) which makes it doubly impressive as those chipsets are not very flexible or powerful. I used one quite some time ago(ASUS M2N) to OC my 5000+ BE to 3.2GHz problem free, but that was a much less sensitive CPU.

6. aldan

aldan Active member

got it to 2.9ghz now.under normal conditions temp 1 (with speedfan) is about 37-40c.leans towards 60c when stress testing.just have a stock cooler right now with new thermo paste.sure perked up the old girl.thanks for the input guys.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah it will definitely have a noticeable effect. Glad everything is going so smoothly for you. around 60*C isn't bad as long as it doesn't go much higher. Sounds like you have a general clue about everything so you're fine :)

Aftermarket coolers are fairly cheap, by the way. Phenoms are very heat sensitive and heat will be the limiting factor on your overclock with most of them. An Arctic Freezer or CoolerMaster Hyper or similar would work just fine and be a major upgrade from the stock cooler for about $20-40. Also helps protect other components from heat damage a little bit.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

yep,a cooler is definitely next.i know its old but at the moment its all the budget can stand.besides,the only way it wouldnt be quick enough for me would be if i tried something newer and faster.have to stay away from those.lol.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha soooo been there. No shame in enjoying what you have :)

10. navskin

navskin Regular member

Hi guys can anyone confirm this for me i think i just broke the word record for Fastest FSB... I built this system just for this task for a bit of fun.. i cant make any sense of this because it not updated the record if i have...

Mine
    http://valid.canardpc.com/82czwr

World Record...
    http://valid.canardpc.com/vr08l7

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member