1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well it would work in my cases the 590 & my 690II cooler masters for the sound it would'en be no louder than what we got hooked up now to are single Rad with the push & pull with scythe pulling and factory pushing and there not loud together at all...Good Luck with that Third Charm from my luck with my AMD Board Back to Gigabyte it goes My LAN went out completely. I can't connect to the internet at all. I installed both systems Win7 & XP nothing happen my eyes veering towards another board and whole new setup and case for the AMD system...I'm back on The UD3P and The Q9550 Rig for now so the 690 II is tore down and the board is packed ready to head back to Cali again:(

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Definitely the network port then is it, and not something on your network? The board is certainly not the first thing I'd blame if I had no internet.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Just bought a Hitachi 2TB hard drive, only £83. (was going to go down the WD20EARS route but can't be doing with the different formatting that those drives need, lazy i know but a change is as good as a rest). We use the Hitachi's at work, they seem like very good/fast drives, can't vouch for their noise though as they're in a very noissy server room.
    So i've finally got around to starting my replacement of the (6) 500GB drives in my Antec 900. Have to do it piecemeal though, maybe one or two drives a month as i will need a backup 2TB drive for each internal one. Going to buy an Akasa DuoDock also, for easy mounting of the external drives as and when i make changes. I read that the Hitachi's can be noisy, which might well be annoying after 3 years of 13 silent WD5000AAKB & AAKS drives, but if the drives are too noisy i read that there's an acoustic utility that can be run to silence them.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think you can still get the WD20EADS which uses the old formatting system, but ah well. One of my friends' servers (who I bought four of my EACS drives off) has been fitted with 2TB Hitachis and so far so good I think.

In my experience AAM tends only to mildly quieten drives, if you need it at all, you still aren't likely to be satisfied in the end, but not everyone cares that much about noise. Just when you use a dozen drives, you want them to be quiet :p
    Either that, or just use a nice silencing case like I do.
    The 750GB Seagate 7200.10 I have is hideous but from the outside it really doesn't seem that bad in the NZXT Whisper case thanks to the dampening foam, and me having fitted it in one of the rear slots in the bowels of the case.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I imagine that coolit will fit in the HAF932 :p

LOL! A dozen hard drives chirping away could get a little irritating ;) I imagine I'll understand that perfectly one day...

I'll be buying the WD20EARS today. Looks like they updated their firmware though. I wonder if that addresses their supposed longevity issue.
    I also will be purchasing a glorious 15 foot USB printer cable. (A male to B male). Can't do without it anymore LOL! I work on peoples printers...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A dozen hard drives still make less noise than one single Optical drive :p A lot less noise in fact.
    There is no longevity issue with the WD20EARS, pretty much all the faults are DOA, and a lot of them are from bad packaging on newegg's part, that's a complaint that crops up against all drives on the site.

Enjoy your 15-foot printer cable, nothing else USB will work over that distance, as USB's max specification is 10 feet :p

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! No new page bug! Loving that part.

I know people who use that long a cord. It'll be fine :p USB Hubs on the other hand. I won't be doing that any more.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Bought it! The badboy is on its way. I also bought the following UV LED Bulbs.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800888058
    That way I can modify my secondary PC's front light. The stock blue ones are almost dead. Half of it already is dead. The other half takes 30minutes to become partially visible. I didn't look at the current style, but I'm betting that they'll work just fine. If not, well...the UV bulbs were not that expensive.

I Next day aired the lot :S

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, I had a Lazer LED identical to that, but with Yellow LEDs. With UV it won't be so bad, but they're actually a single light source deflected through three LEDs, so you get a bright beam in the middle, and two weak beams out the side, it looked crap :p
    I'm after a set of 4" yellow CCFLs for the front of my case. They crop up on ebay every so often, but I'm usually too tight to spend the £7 on them :p

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm dissecting that light. I just want the bulbs. I'm hoping they're a typical design, and will go right in my current setup. Just replacing bulbs.

You know what I just realized? I have one Beige Optical drive in my Black case. In essence, the ugly duckling LOL! The ugly duckling (As it were) is quite possibly the best burner in my case! *knocking on wood* LOL!!!

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice shopping skills. I wouldn't have noticed it was superimposed had you not said :p

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I practice everyday. Its my favorite program. Though I'm starting to fall for FL studio :D

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good stuff, I love playing around with FL Studio :p

15. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Nice find, didn't realize they finally made a 240mm rad. Might consider getting one if I ever put decent cpu in my old case if they're cheap enough.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    I don't like huge cases at all. That and I don't have any heat issues at whatsoever. The R-120 should work fine with an 1090T, as it's about the coolest running chip out there! Even overclocked to 4.1GHz, it only hit 44C in a 23C room, fully stressed.

Maybe you got one of those bad Southbridge 750 chips. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the Lan is controlled by the Southbridge!

Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

This is nuts! Now I can't edit my reply to Will. It kicks me back to the first page, but no edit! Some pages are still messed up and I'm not getting any notifications at all except when I'm on AD!

Russ

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

You made that known to me once b4 my friend. I was only making a statment that would fit perfect in mine. I don't have any heat issues either at the moment with mine. I was touching on the noise part about the matter it would'en be making with dual fan setup push & pull on the Radiator...with the scythe's 120mm Fans pulling these right here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...85058&cm_re=120mm_fans-_-35-185-058-_-Product

I still got 1 in it's packaged not even opened yet.Lol(Scythe SY1225SL12M) Great Fans
    [​IMG]

If you be the First here to get One Please share cooling info>...Lol I'm goin to try for the Coolit Vantage A.L.C. on the next Build..Instead it's caught my eye..for sure

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/vantage.html
    http://shopping.coolitsystems.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2125/.f

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey russ, have you tried wiping all of your cookies and temp files clean? I haven't had one bug with the new thread...

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Will, it's pretty unlikely I'll ever use that case again but sure if I ever come across one I'll share my opinion on the performance.

---

One of my 140mm fans has developed a squeak and needs replacement. From what I can tell there aren't many 140mm fans on the market so it looks like my options are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608017
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146002
    http://www.jab-tech.com/Yate-Loon-140mm-Case-Fan-D14SM-12-pr-3594.html
    http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-Kaze-Maru-2-140mm-case-fan-1200rpm-pr-4626.html

I was going to get the YL since I've heard nothing except good things about them but the noctua looks good since it's supposedly nice and quiet. The other two just got thrown in for good measure. What do you guy's think; YL, noctua or other?

TIA

redmaw

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010