1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, since everyone seems to be affected in different ways, I would definitely wonder what's going on with the cookies and or temporary internet files ;)

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It'll be nothing to do with cookies/temporary files and all that annoying Windows nonsense, it's 'just' a new page bug. Also it's nothing to do with the old thread being many pages long, it's just that when threads get that long it's a good excuse to start a fresh one. We've let the Admins know a few times, don't know they're on holiday or anything as i only really frequent a handful of regular threads these days.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It was worth a try. :p

I haven't had any troubles with this thread...

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Would love a Kaze Maru 2, but they're only sold in the US, and expensive to import :p

As for big cases, they're wholly unnecessary for all but top-end systems, I support Russ' opinions on that matter.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I use Mid Tower cases Only why have all that extra room if you don't need it. I agree with Sam...

@ Red_Maw

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146002
    I have a few of those NZXT in my 690II cooler master at the Top they work well for me getting the heat out and there not loud Sam suggest them back when. I was about to build the my AMD Rig:)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  6. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Just realized the Kaze Maru's are 120mm screw spacing so they won't fit.

I've ordered some stuff from the UK before and shipping wasn't outrageous at all imo.

The NZXT's eh. I have a few 120mm NZXT fans which are reliable but not exactly quiet lol. The white blades put me off though since it'll clash with rest of the system making it look like I scavenged parts for it :\ Such a tough decision lol.

As for cases, I like the huge ones. That's just my preference though, nothing to do with necessity. I really wanted to get a MM U2-UFO but spending that much on a case is just insane.

7. creaky

Did some testing on the new Hitachi drive at work, it's quiet as anything, and have now almost finished copying the contents of one of my 500GB movie drives over to it. (Mounted both the source and destination drives internally for the copy, didn't fancy USB2.0 for that amount of copying).
    Plus i got a 1TB 'WD My Passport' drive today, very nice indeed (once the crappy WD software was removed), it's for carrying around to different work branches. Loads of room for a ton of movies and music too :)

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Should be getting my WD20EARS today. Hope it was packed well. Or newegg is gonna know the definition of angry ;)

9. creaky

Mine was well packed, though the main supplier we use for miscellaneous PC bits and bobs are always very good at packing stuff, plus it's always next day delivery (which i don't have to pay as the postage is absorbed by whatever else we order), plus i don't have to pay the VAT for staff purchases either. Bargain. The Hitachi has just finished copying, time to shutdown and take out the original 500GB and boot up to stare in awe at all the free space. By the time i get around to replacing the other 5 internal 500GB drives, i'll have a whopping 12TB!. There's going to be 13 500GB drives spare by then, using them as backups for internal 2TB drives might be a tad confusing, i'll have to come up with a labelling system (it's either that or buy another 6 2TB externals for backups)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ebuyer?
    Been a while since I ordered a hard disk from them. Scan's packaging is soso, CCL's was pretty good last time I used them for a drive.

11. creaky

No, Misco. I did used to use Ebuyer and Amazon for (new) PC component purchases but as i can get VAT-free stuff off Misco i use them, i just wait until we're ordering work stuff hence how i don't pay shipping or VAT.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah Misco seemed more of a business provider. I don't think I've used them as last time I tried they didn't accept any Debit cards except full Visa Debits. It's unusual for a store to not accept Electrons or not accept Maestros, but to not accept both is downright bizarre.
    Thankfully I have a proper Visa Debit now.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! Best packing job I've seen yet! They packed it in bubble wrap, and cardboard, and in the center of all the packing foam. If the drive is damaged, it would have been during the original shipment, or during manufacturing.
    I'm betting I have a beauty. Of course time will tell ;) I don't have enough time to install it right now unfortunately. Well...I do, but I want to watch the transfers, and format process. Essentially, I want to watch it like a hawk for the first few hours ;) I don't want to do a rush job either...

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Already did that. The problem is probably this P.O.S. Oopstiplex 150 I'm using at the moment. It constantly runs out of memory, and bogs down horribly! It can only address 512MB of memory, so I'll have to find a better 1x-4x AGP card for the Precision 420, as a 4x-8x doesn't work in it. It addresses 2 GB of memory and doesn't experience any memory problems at all.

Russ

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Hats off to NZXT for sweet full tower case for gamers here below me and Sam touched base on the design of this case and the way it cools. I would recommened this case to a full tower lovers (NZXT Phantom) it done dropped in price $25 sense it first came out

Black
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068

White
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxhvfSVLpM

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

WD20EARS is connected, and formatting (4096 Allocation size). I'm allowing it to do the long format. Not sure how long that will be. But if it survives it, that's one more point in my favor, for having a reliable drive ;) If it isn't done by morning, I'll likely stop it, and do the quick format though :p

I'm still pretty new to a lot of stuff. Namely, the 4Kb sector size. I'm betting that windows 7 is automatically ready and able to handle this technology, without my intervention. Much like Solid State Disk. Please, if i'm mistaken don't hesitate to call me a fool LOL!

At the current rate of format, it should be done in 4 - 4.5hrs give or take :p I formatted in the GPT partition layout. I realize now that this was not necessary. GPT is for hard drives in excess of 2Tb - 9.4 Zettabytes. Ha ha! Windows can handle some serious bytes now!!! :D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

@sammorris

Sam,
    Is this the old 1x 4x AGP, or is it the 4x 8x? I need a 4x AGP card for the old Dell Precision Workstation. This Oopstiplex 150 is driving me crazy. I can't seem to find anything with more than 32 MB. The old matrox Dual head was 64 MB! I'm open to suggestions, but it has to be the old standard 4x, as a 4x-8x will not work!

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Russ

18. creaky

Russ, just get hold of a Geforce4 MX400 or 440 series card (i think it was Sam who suggested that a few posts back actually), that's the card of choice i go for in most old machines, 32MB or 64MB, would the GPU RAM make any difference to your use of it ?. Come to think of it i have an MX4 series card in the Quad machine, driving the 3rd monitor. They are some of the best cards you can get on older machines, i recently spent ages researching the best card i could get for my Athlon 2800 machine, it was AGP, i forget if it was 4x or 8x slot now, but basically the PSU in that machine is only 192W, i was after something of a Nvidia flavour for the few games i have running under linux (Quake1&2, Doom1&2, with various OpenGL enhanced mods). I was running a 32MB MX400 but it was only single monitor capable. After much researching and experimenting with the loads of spare cards i have accumulated over the centuries i plumped for a (fanless) Geforce 6200 (i'd used one for 3 yrs in my Quad machine as the main/only card), this runs 2 monitors, one via DVI and the other VGA, works perfectly in linux (no small feat i can tell you).
    Anyways, i'd found that a 6200 type card was approx the max card i could run off a 192W PSU, i forget now which was the max card you could fit on, say a 360W-ish PSU, which i'm guessing you have in the Precision ?. But again, i reckon an MX400/440 should do you fine ?, see what you can google on it re the 4x/8x AGP aspect as (as per usual) i've forgotten the specifics) :p

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have an MX400, and I had a 6200. I won't part with the MX400 though. Its all I have left in AGP. And that system requires it. No onboard video...

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thanks Creaky. The problem is I have both the MX400 and the MX440, but they are not the old 4x standard and won't work in that machine, as they are 4x-8x. I have an Ati Rage Pro as well, but it is 4x-8x too and only 4MB of memory I'm pretty sure that the card I posted is the old standard, and it's only $10, but I wanted to be sure before I purchased it. I'm not happy about having to give up half of the video memory, but I can't find anything that will work with more memory. This Oopstiplex 150 is a piece of junk. One of Dells bigger mistakes! It can't address any more memory than 512MB, and it constantly runs out of memory, and works the HD to death, trying to keep up. The Precision 420 can address 2GB of much faster Rambus memory. I have 4x512MB in it now. Great computer, but I'm getting a little afraid because it's 9 going on 10 years old.

Best Regards,
    Russ