1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. redice

redice Regular member

thanks for that info will keep that in mind for down the line.

2. redice

redice Regular member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends what for. The 5820K is a powerful CPU but in games you're looking at 15-20% more performance at best, so it depends if that's worth it. In production applications, however, it's substantially more powerful.

4. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks sam. i am not not really big pc gamer but i do play some. However, do some video converting so would i see a big difference in that with the 5820K cpu?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Assuming your video conversion software uses the CPU to do the work (most still do) then yes, the 5820K would be substantially faster, by at least 50%, possibly more.

6. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks sam. its starting to look like the 5820K is the better system to go with.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

This is my current setup, more or less. I am extremely pleased with the end results.
    18894_909839855725791_4484738462275821389_n. 11329903_909839959059114_5689597016769411726_n. 11350655_909839705725806_291703487326548440_n.
    Not bad eh? I could clean up my wiring a bit and get some stuff put away again but it works.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not bad - I can't get the third picture to load for some reason. Cable management is tidy, you know how I feel about water setups but it does make good use of the top exhausts on the HAF. I have to be honest though, I'm not a fan of the unpainted finish of the side mesh (I'm aware it's not factory fit) and all the stickers on the left hand side :p

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The last pic loads fine here. Used AD's own upload file tool.

I've added even more stickers since :p My current fan setup works very well. Not pictured is the other 140mm intake in the optical bay and the second set of fans on top of the rad. The unfinished side was easily remedied today after you mentioned it. Painted it red. I think it'll look quite striking :)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh well it's just a shot of my desk layout which is pretty simplistic.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Just an update. I finally made the jump to Windows 10. At first glance it seems like more Windows 8. But after a few hours of poking around and customizing, it's become clear that it is substantially different. Picture Windows 8's improvements over 7 but actually designed for a mouse + keyboard and you're very close. Haven't seen a single hint of Windows 8's forced version of Metro UI. My first boot took me directly to my desktop and the Start Menu is simply that, a Start Menu. There are still some visual elements from Metro such as tiles and the like, but those aren't a problem if implemented properly, which they seem to be.

It's very fast and easy on the eyes, and they un-screwed file system and OS navigation to the point that it's usable again. I have had zero compatibility issues so far as well. There are numerous things I could comment on, but the general idea is that it is NOT like Windows 8 OR Windows 7. It is definitely different from both, and seems to include the best of both worlds.

This could tentatively be a pretty good OS. Windows 7 is solid but nothing special, so if they can improve upon it without inconveniencing the hell out of me like Win 8 did, I won't complain. As of right now it satisfies all of my major nitpicks.

I have two complaints. First is that they need to re-implement transparency for the GUI. I absolutely love the transparency from Aero, and it has utilitarian purposes as well. Second is that there are an awful lot of options that allow Microsoft to collect insane amounts of data from you. It's easy enough to turn these options off during installation, but I find the sheer number of them and what they send to Microsoft alarming. I can foresee this being a major issue on mass mfg hardware. There are already several guides to disabling them on an already installed OS.

I expected to be disappointed based on the week I used Win 8, but am quickly warming to it. There is no sickening urge to format my SSD and go back to Windows 7. Instead, I'm a bit curious as to how deep the improvements go, and am eager to become more familiar with it. Overall, I like it and can see myself using it long-term.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have a customer who upgraded his win7 laptop to win10 the day after it came out, screwed it up that same day & compounded it by spilling water on the keyboard. I got the laptop that night, saved his info thru my tower to his external hd, ordered a new keyboard as his enter buttons didn't work & used 1 of my scraped keyboards to reload win7 plus his info back onto the laptop. customer picked it up yesterday.
    bought a new 1tb hd for my win7 32bit computer & will use the original 500gb hd to load win10 64bit onto my win7 64bit computer upstairs but disconnecting it's 1tb hard drive 1st so can do a clean install of win10 to see what it is like.

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've serviced a few like that already but with Win 8 installs. In every single instance it was because the user interrupted the install or otherwise tried to do something while it was happening. In my experience most computer issues are caused by stupidity/lack of understanding, not the software. Of course software is bound to screw up once in a while, but not in this scale. There's usually something else going on.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

win10 was installed ok he just screwed it up using it so it was an O.F.U.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Windows 10 is so far pretty solid. Can't say I've found anything to complain about yet. Only minor nitpicks that will probably be ironed out.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So I'm curious. I recently was given multiple machines, and one of them which is more intriguing to me has me in a bit of a conundrum. Is it more valuable for its metal properties, gold plating, steel, aluminum, etc... or do I sell it as is?

It's a very old Dell server. 1999 - 2000 era. It's a Dell poweredge 2450. Pretty much everything about it is outdated to me. It appears to have dual slot Pentium III processors. The first Ultra SCSI hard drives I've ever touched. Not sure about any of it working yet. But nothing suggests that it's fried. The thing is a friggin beast! Haven't weight it yet, but it's quite similar to my 60 pound HAF 932!!!

Thoughts?

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'd hang onto something that special personally.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

For what reason? Other than learning the server OS aspect, I see no reason. The processing potential is far too outdated.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not going to a be a very efficient use of power or of space, and I don't think it's quite enough of a relic to be worth a lot to sell. If you've plenty of spare space then you could hang onto it to see if it becomes that relic, otherwise if you've no real use for it, eBay or Craigslist...