1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Active member

The main reason for buying the dock, is that it supported drives larger than 2TB.
    Says it supports up to 4TB, but I can't imagine why a 6TB would be a problem. Unless they intentionally put a limit on it :eek:
    I understand how the wraparound would occur on a dock that doesn't support it. In any case, I had already exceeded 4.5TB, and had no issues. It was when I put it internally, that things went down hill.

Now you're probably wondering about write cache. Not sure how it's currently set, but I always restart windows. And I also always make sure the tower is discharged, before connecting/disconnecting drives.

Aw well. Live and learn. This will take weeks to replace the data. At least it wasn't my precious data drive lol Which currently has a redundant drive :cool:

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that drive is 50% over the capacity of the dock can handle. I presume the usb port on your computer is usb3?

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Active member

If a device can handle SDXC, you'd think it can handle more than just a mere 64GB card, right? That is where my logic is coming from. If 4TB is the absolute maximum for this dock, they did it intentionally. Or through sheer ignorance.
    Yes, USB 3.0. USB 2.0 would be painfully slow lol

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

when was that docking station manufactured as connectland.eu does not list it so maybe predates 6tb drives?

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Active member

I would wager it does predate 6TB. However, I would doubt that each new hard drive revision(Size), needs unique code. Now, problems PERHAPS could arise down the road as drives get super large. Problems that were not anticipated. For example a petabyte drive, might require updated coding. Though the theoretical limit for GPT is 16 exabytes.