1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ddp, Sep 13, 2010.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Good to know. Thanks ;)

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so is the 2tb green drive better to get over the 2tb black for the big price difference?

also ive heard the 2tb drives have fw issues? you cant just plug and play so to say. they have to be updated or something to get max usage/volume out of them???

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They don't have to be updated, nor do they have firmware issues.
    They are 4K Sector drives, which means by default, they can only be read by Windows Vista/7/Server 2008. If you're still using XP, you need to set a jumper that converts them to the old sector size.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so they are going back to the pin type action again? like master-slave selection.
    that could be messed up if your doing what i am right now. i have 2 different hdd's with OS on them one as XP and one has 7 on it. im ok if im useing the hdd with W7 on it but if i use the one with XP i need to use the push pin to allow max usage out of the 2tb drive. am i looking at that right in this sense? or will W7 still see it as 2tb with the jumper pin in it?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, it's not really 'going back to' - but simply put, XP isn't any use for hard disks this big. This should be a subtle hint to anyone still using it to get with the times, if they're buying cutting edge hardware.

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Sam whats up with the double post??? lol

its been awhile since my last visit here..lol but has anyone seen or mentioned the new Antec cases? i just seen the Dark Fleet DF-85 over at microcenter.. this case is sweet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Antec-_-11129087

right now micorcenter as it priced the same as the HAF X $159
    i like this case alot. maybe even better than the HAF's(yes i said that) only thing i see against it is that it can only hold 3 ODD's.

i would use W7 all the time if i could get my printers to work with it. i know i need to get new printer/scanner due to the fact mine dont have the drivers for W7. but i cant see tossin 2 good printers cause of lack of drivers for a OS when i have 1 that they work fine with.

ok back to hdd's as ive mention'd before i will be doing a new build within the next 4-6months. peace by peace. for my OS i do want a ssd for it. i know nothing about them what is a good 80-100gb ssd drive.who is makeing the better ones right now?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

aD is really bugging hard today. If I edit a post, it sometimes creates another identical post, and if I post one message, it creates two identical ones!

I saw the Darkfleet in the flesh, it's quite a nice case, it'll no doubt be better built than the HAF, but it's not quite as high-spec. Still better all round than the Antec Nine Hundred though.

For SSDs, basically I'd say a 100GB OCZ Vertex 2, or an 80GB Intel X25-M G2.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, the OCZ is slightly faster, slightly bigger, and quite a lot more expensive. If you can get away with 80GB, the extra speed of the OCZ is likely to go largely unnoticed, so you may as well buy the X25.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

80gb is more than enough for just windows i can install the programs i use on another hdd

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Rob, I have no complaints with the WD20EARS 2Tb drive. ish...

I'm not positive yet, but unloading of the heads, may screw with the Optical burning process of some write strategies. What I mean is, my 7261, and 7241 when attempting to burn at 12X cannot reach that speed, so they only top at 8X. The drive unloads its heads, RIGHT as the optical drive is ready. So it thinks the hard drive can't keep up. Perhaps I should mention this to the right people. So the optical firmwares can be updated. My 7200A and 7200S are fine though :D I don't plan on doing a lot of burning from the 2Tb drive. It's more of a storage drive.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That doesn't sound right to me. Program bug?

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm not sure who to blame here LOL! I would have to say the firmware is most to blame though(Optical drives)? 2 drives are fine, where 2 are not. I haven't reached that conclusion however. I'll be doing more burning today...

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Damn! If there's a way to shut off the unloading of the heads, i'm gonna find it. It just irritated the hell out of me! I really should have realized this before I bought it. But I didn't realize the unloading of heads was so detrimental to the kind of performance I require ;) And if unloading and reloading frequently, causes wear and tear, I'd rather it just behaved like other drives. Perhaps I should just get some kind of Sata switcher, that way I can literally power it down, and power it up when I run file transfers ;)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not detrimental to performance in anything. If you've got software problems, it either isn't the heads causing it, or the software you're using is terrible.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It's the best burning software available ;) Though nero is good also. I really should try nero to compare.
    imgburn

Sam, don't take this the wrong way, but you don't burn, so I don't expect you to understand. Optical drives can be somewhat picky about constant bandwidth. If it doesn't have it, it will adjust write speeds accordingly. To prevent buffer underrun.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I use ImgBurn all the time. Not only did I burn from WD Greens, I burned from them over network shares. No problems burning at 10x (max for dual layer discs)

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I edited sam.

So you do burn eh? Interesting ;) LOL! Perhaps the WD20Ears idles quicker than yours? If you have one, I'm at a loss...

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah they don't idle any quicker. I don't own one yet...

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

All I know is the WD1001FALS drives do fine. :/

I may have to try a different media. Sometimes that can be the culprit. Even though they're rated at high speed, the firmware overrides that...