1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The pains of the MSA

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Auslander, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Well, I guess I just miss my computer. I'm here at the Missouri Scholars Academy for 3 weeks, living in unused college dorms and going to a major (3 hours a day) and a minor (2 hours a day) almost daily. This is quite a chunk out of my summer, but seeing as I'm one of 330 sophomores representing 65,000 here in Missouri (maybe Misery), I guess it's kind of an honor. No bragging is intended. But I'm 150 miles away from home, with no real friends and no family. I have no real privacy, and no access to a decent gaming rig or dvd/cd burner. I've just got a little whining left: the mattresses suck! I get 3 hours of decent sleep a night, and lately I've been sleeping through breakfast. Not good, lol. To be honest, it wouldn't be so bad if the activities here were voluntary (square dancing and boring lectures) and if the teachers weren't as boring. Also, I have a stupid one-hour-a-day class call PSD, or Personal and Social Dynamics, which is supposed to help me to understand my gifts and my responsibility to the world, etc. It's a litte too touchy/feely. I think I just narrowed the problem down to one: way too f***in' social. Oh, and "HI MOM!"

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

I just read my post. As I suspected, I come off very whiny. Be nice, please. I've never been this far from home for this long, and I feel I'm missing out on more important things, like playing Mafia and running like a nut with my dog. I'm going to try to change today and have a more positive attitude now, I think, lol: have a nice day, all of those readers who can stand me!

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Just remember it isn't forever :)

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Five hours of classes per day... DAMN you're lucky.

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

lol...yeah. the classes suck, but you have my sympathies, Praetor. 13 classes??? whoa. I just only have a few summers left before college, and I hate to be spending part of one here.

6. Praetor

It's only 13 because of two schools. Even then 6/7 classes is higher than the norm of 4-5. Meh.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Still, Praetor...I envy your apparent devotion and discipline. I, myself, am very weak (mentally, lol) and hate to (or can't) focus on anything. I wonder if I have ADD? Anyhoo, how's everyone doin today?

8. Praetor

Devotion and discipline my ass .... it's all about the money at the end of this long, long, looooooooong road... 'sides I dont sleep much :p

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Tell me, Praetor: do you stay up on your own, or are you constantly tossing back Penguins and drinking Bawls?

10. Praetor

About 4 days on my own and then I go on caffine-assist.

11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

LoL ;) Praetor posted the appropriate response!
    But he is too modest, money yes but Waterloo grad's the cream of the cream of the crop. (I hear Bill G. keeps a trailer in the parking lot, to grab them when they come out the front door.)
    Most would take this as second-year university. Are you saying you are in grade 10? Man, I've 2 cars (and a motorcycle) older than you :) LoL But, I am very ancient!
    What will you study in college Auslander?

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Well, I hope to major in Astronomy. NASA's budget is being cut, so I probably won't get to work there like I dreamed, but with space becoming a private-sector affair, maybe I can get hired by a tours company or something. And OGS, yeah, i'm 16. i'm one of the two sophomores from my hick high school.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]can you see what i see? Or are you blinded by your own vision?[/small]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  13. Praetor

OMFG -- THAT'S what that creepy van is!!!! EEEEEEK! LOL Nah on a serious note, a couple of my friends fresh out of CS are slotted for positions at MS with some very nice paychecks to boot :)

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hmm...if B.G. decides to start space tourism, I may go to work for him. He alone could be the next major trust. Can you imagine a world where MS ran everything, fromm the subways to the factories where they bake fortune cookies?