1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Players, The Recorders, The Discs and The Films

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Nicklt, Jan 23, 2006.

1. mutapsyc

mutapsyc Member

2. koerwise

koerwise Guest

3. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

If you want to play ball, buy a PS3. The PS3 has superior processing speed to any of the Blu-ray players on the market for 60% of the price; and the thing plays games. For most PS3 owners it's the other way around (games and then maybe movies), but if you want to buy a player it should be a no-brainer. Processing speed may not seem like a big deal, but compare a PS3 to the next fastest player out there and you could be watching a BD-J (Java enhanced Blu-ray title) in a matter of 1 minute 15 seconds vs. 2 minutes 45 seconds and for less money. As long as an HDMI connection is used I can't tell the difference on any of the players -and trust me I've seen them all. Test me on any them if you have any doubts. And as for the LG Hybrid player, looks pretty, sounds pretty, and it's the most unstable unpredictable unreliable piece of junk I've worked with in this age of High Definition -nice try LG. 4 of the players out there are just dupes of each others innerds with identical results, such a waste. Support Blu-ray, it's got all the right stuff and is utilizing the coolest programming language known to man -ever wondered what language the first successful AI maid or house will be written with because I can assure you it will most likely be Java. Step into the future, spend 2-Grand on a PS3 and Plasma and start piecing together a 7.1 sound system as $$$ permits then live a more exiting life for it. Or... just save your money for 15 years until HVDs get the bugs worked out and are just as cheap at a higher resolution than the theater.

4. varybarry

varybarry Member

Do the benefits of owning a blue ray player and discs outweigh the initial investment? I'm curious because the system is expensive and the discs are much more than dvd's.

5. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Just wait. I have a PS3 and there are no games and the movies are pretty much the same quality as DVD. The only difference is it makes people look a little uglier.

Some movies look worse than DVD, but most are a bit better. It is not worth it now as it is way too expensive.

6. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

First of all, the resolution is 4X higher. Even on a 720p(minimal HD resolution display) display, this stuff looks faboulous. Unfortunately, a lot of BDs are Mpeg-2 encoded. Look for the Mpeg-4 stuff, it's a much more efficient codec allowing for a much nicer PQ. To say it looks the same as DVD is ridiculous; buy a proper display. Even DVDs look way better on the BD players, few people are aware of the "upconversion" feature available on new DVD players and all BD players. Upconversion is an alternative to stretching a standard def image and does a great job. Maybe, Jaguar, you are comparing a DVD on an upconverting BD player to an mpeg2 BD on a BD player; then maybe, just maybe I might believe what you're saying, but even then I would suggest a new prescription eyeware or maybe a decent HD TV. Try a 42"+ plasma from Sony/Panasonic 1080i on an mpeg4 encoded title should blow away any DVD.

Varybary, the answer is No. Only because the benefeits are only a higher form of entertainment and don't actually pay for themselves in any way. I'm big on real investments and this isn't one of them. I'm personally waiting at least a couple more years till all the kinks get worked out and the prices come down a bit because I, much like Jaguar am not impressed enough to drop the $$$ on what some may describe as a subtle improvement(I know I'm contradicting myself a bit here). -I work with the stuff, in case you're wondering why I act like I know what I'm talking about. Although, when I do put the $$$ together it's definitely going towards BD not a cheap DVD collection, or a dead-end HDDVD setup. A lot of people are overlooking the advancements in audio technology, these new home receivers and speaker systems are really starting to kick some butt and are responsible for at least 40% of the experience IMO.

Check out Master and Commander on BD to see and hear what I am talking about. Nothing on HDDVD or DVD can come close to this experience. Then come and tell me that the "people look a little uglier" is the memory you're left with.

7. asianm

asianm Guest

Sony players is good!

8. asianm

asianm Guest

Sony players is good!

9. tripplite

tripplite Guest

wow, great data base glade i saw this

10. dshah101

dshah101 Member

The blu ray players are great but very expensive

11. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

Sony players are good.

I've just experienced some of the newest mpeg-4 encoded video, the best I've ever seen. It's less than 15 minutes of video spread over a 50GB disc. It's not something that will be seen by a majority of the general public, but what it means to all is that when the medium starts pushing the envelope with 200GBs, that we're going to start seeing significant advances in quality for even the longest and grainiest of flicks. Imagine seeing the original Godfather on BD with grain so clear you feel like your watching it at the Imax on the first cut of fresh 75mm film stock. I don't know if the numbers work out, but that's how good it seemed. Another cool thing is now that HDMI 1.3 is available and is capable of carrying a resolution of up to 2560x1600p60, all TV manufacturers have to do is make TVs that big and all of a sudden HD can actually become somewhat future-proof -giving it the capability of 1 day having 13.33 times more pixels than our soon to become old Standard Def TVs(SD=640X480) could ever have. By then we'll probably have 70" computer screens that take the place of everything, including our windows -you know you love that part in all future movies. Making TVs/monitors that big isn't so hard, it's just expensive, but like cell phones and cars, once you have one there will be no looking back only forward to the next bigger/slimmer and better version like the one your neighbor owns. I hear Blu-ray may introduce the first 3D stuff, like real 3D. People have wanted this forever, so it's no big secret that it was bound to come out sometime, why not in our lifetime? I hear the idea has begun to materialize, but for now it may only be hearsay as far as I can confirm. Support the format, buy a PS3 or computer with a BD drive. It's worth it, the format is sticking. Some of the equipment is cheap enough, I'm sure you'll starts seeing it in most households, especially after this Christmas.

Remember, HDMI 1.3 is your friend; ask about it, or just buy it because it supports 1000 times more colors than its predecessor HDMI 1.2.

12. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

Back when I said this:

It was true, but fortunately now it's not. Thanks to the combined efforts of many of the CES members, many joint advancements in Blu-ray products, interoperability in-specific, have come to terms. All BD player-manufacturers now offer upgrades on-line that are easy to install and have made a world of difference. The LG has become much friendlier and is extremely reliable, sturdy, and is still kind of cute (you have to hear the beeps it makes -it's almost lifelike).
    LG, I apologize for not being more patient, I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. If anyone should make the first AI Java maid, it's you -can you program her to fold my socks like I like them too?

13. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i guess we wont be seeing a price drop in a while, i'll end up buying the xbox360 hd-dvd player

14. newyear

newyear Guest

I made some videos for christmas .

15. qbngixxer

qbngixxer Member

whats up all ... im new here, and new to the blu-ray world. I recently bought a 46" sony (full 1080p) lcd, and I wanted a blu-ray player to go with it, but my budget was kinda diminished after buying the tv so I got a really good deal on a floor model samsung bd-p1000 (which was about a year old). does anyone know anything about that player ... is it a good bd player, or am I missing out on any new technology?

also, what are the best movie titles to buy on blu-ray? I want to get the ones that really show off the full potential of the blu-ray!!!

16. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

You're going with 1st-gen BD equipment, that's actually the very first player to ever come out.

First things first, figure out how to download and burn the upgrade disc before you do anything -make this a habit every few months or so -try searching for a Samsung electronics support site. Second, have patience; this thing is and always will be slow as they come. It's a solid player and will display as good as anything else out there, but it does not meet profile 2.0 standards and lacks hardware to make it ever possible. Thirdly, use HDMI and nothing else! I know it's expensive, and it's somewhat fragile as well, just buy a good cable and never look back. Congratulations on the investment.

17. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I wonder who's going to win the format war? DVD-HD or Blu Ray?

18. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

Warner Brothers finally sided exclusively with Blu-ray -ever heard of them?

This may be coming to an end sooner than they thought.

19. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Are there any more DVD-HD holdouts? I hope not!! Still I'll wait until one format wins before I buy a player or the discs.

20. HiDefGuy

HiDefGuy Member

Forget about Warner for now, that deal is sealed. The talks now is Paramount excerising their get-out clause on HD-DVD. That would be the final upset. Between that, blockbuster, and now more stores dropping HD-DVD players and formats, this non-sense is almost done and the trumpets are getting ready for a victory parade