1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The possible end of the infamous 3 red lights? It's serious, please read!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Blogjones, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Blogjones

Blogjones Member

Please, ATTENTION: I'm NOT THE ONE who made this! It's just a "copy and paste", ok? Do that, ONLY if your 360 have 3RLs AND is out of the guarantee... in this case, what do you have to loose? This method is cheap, easy to do, and does not modify permanently your console, you can undo that anytime. Many people are having success with the
    method it is worth a try...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Attention, people... this is just a "copy an paste", i saw this articles, and, since MANY people have this 3 red lights problem, i think about "why not post here, so, many could be benefited?". Here it goes(please, SPREAD THIS!):
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The end of the infamous 3 Red-Lights! The solution is an simple eraser(from the same type of the picture)
    I'm not kidding Sounds funny but it really works.
    This solution comes from Brazil (a guy, with the nickname "Chiaroscuro")... it is another showing of the "Brazilian way", perhaps? So far, in the last 2 days, more than 37 X360 "dead units" have been fixed and properly restored(in the last 2 days).
    BUT REMEMBER! Do that, ONLY if your 360 have 3RLs AND is out of the guarantee... in this case, what do you have to loose? This method is cheap, easy to do, and does not modify permanently your console, you can undo that anytime. Many people are having success with the method it is worth a try.

The memories of the xbox 360 kinda sucks, it needs a "foot" to continue working. The "foot" is an eraser, you will need to cut it in 4 little pieces( 0.3 to 0.4 cm high. They should cover all the memory - a little bit more of ****of the memory... 0.4 cm TOPS, ok? Many are using 0.35 cm) and a glue baton to fix the eraser.
    img95.imageshack.us/img95/295/mod3603zp5.jpg
    img100.imageshack.us/img100/1799/mod3604ki3.jpg

The memories in the back of the mother-board:
    img92.imageshack.us/img92/6935/mod3602cy0.jpg

The eraser with glue(MINIMAL glue, ok?):

img225.imageshack.us/img225/4861/mod3605ob4.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The original text, came from here: forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t591894.html
    Here's a "copy and paste" of the report, from the "Chiaroscuro" guy itself:

Hello All!

I am Chiaroscuro on the brazilian boards (and MrChiaroscuro in XboxLive) and the original poster of this mod.

Sorry that the previous explanations were only in Portuguese and the tutorial is not in English yet. I was planning to post here a proper translation, but was quite busy in the last days. I should have foresee that when I posted it at www.portalxbox.com people would started spreeding the news fast. Some forums members there got excited with the solution and start to post it here and all aroung.

I will try to provide a proper translation today.

But some quick remarks:
    - Yes, it works. It sounds silly but it is effective. More than 37 Xbox 360 have been reported as fixed(so far, in 2 days), and 4 by myself. I do not clain that it is the solution for all Xbox 360 0102 errors, but it looks like that a vast range of problems can be fixed by this easy solution.
    - The main idea is to introduce a small (enphasys on small) pressure over the memory chips that are mounted in the inferior side of the motherboard, to keep them as much tight with the motherboard as possible, preventing some contact errors. Do not bend your motherboard.
    - Rubber (cutted from normal plastic eraser) was choosed because it is a cheap non-thermal conductive material and easy to mold. You can use any material which can be mold and cut, as long as it does not deform over time with temperature and applies a soft pressure over the chips.
    - The memories on the 360 I opened up run very cold, they do not warm up (only a little). The GPU and CPU on other hand, get really hot. For that reason I do not think it will be a problem to put rubber foots/pads on it. The clue used is from the stick type, very little, just to keep the pads attached to the memories when putting the motherboard back in the inner shell. It is very strange to me that some people are reporting that normally their 360 memories are hot. Anyway you can cut a small hole in the pad (I think it will still work) with you are worried with temperature. However do not make the pads smaller than the memories. In fact they should be a little bigger, 0.1 cm bigger to each side. The reason for that is that the pressure should be applied mostly in the edges of the memories, otherwise it will not work. A smaller or displaced pad will not work.
    - And if your 360 have 3RLs and is out of the guarantee, what do you have to loose? This method is cheap, easy to do, and does not modify permanently your console, you can undo that anytime. Many people are having success with the method it is worth a try.
    - My 360 is running for more than 4 months with this mod. I opened several times (last time this weekend) to be sure that nothing was wrong with the pads, specially becuase they are made of rubber. Everything was fine, nothing to be worried about.

Full translation coming shortly. I will try to answer as many questions as possible. This information can be fully spreed, as long as it gives credit to me, eheh(my ego appreciates it, eheh).

Sorry for any speeling errors. English is not my native language and I am in a hurry now.

Chears,
    MrChiaroscuro
    ============================================================================= Just a warning: I would not use copper sinks or similars in substitute of the rubber, becuase they not only temperature conductive, but also electrical conductive. Since the space between the motherboard and the inner metalic shell is very thin (0.4 cm) and the inner shell itself is not plain, the pads can be eventually fell out of place, and in such case a lot more damage from electrical contact will be done than using rubber. Cut the rubber in perfect retangules 0.3 to 0.4 cm high. They should cover all the memory (a little bit more of ****of the memory) because the pressure should be applied mainly at the edges of the memories, a smaller pad would not be enough.

At the first time you try the method, it is perfectly normal that it still gaves the 3RLs. Wait for a few minutes (5-10 minutes) with the 360 turned on (even with errors). Turn it off and on again. Now the 3RLs should be gone. In most of the times it is necessary this waiting on the 3RLs because the memories are not in the correct place yer. The heat generated when you keep the 360 on will put the memories in the right place. From then you do not need to do that anymore, just in the first try after the mod. No, I am not impling that. What I am saying is that the problem is not exactly related to the board flexing, it is related to how the board expands while warming up/cooling down which affects the memories joints. I believe the joints becomes weaker or crack. We are not saying a big crack, but small displacements can cause the contact to loose.

In my experience it does not work if the pressure is not applied in the edge of the memories, so the pad must cover its boarders (may work with a hole in the middle of the pad as well). Cuts must be perfect because if you use one too "high" the others will loose contact between the memories and the shell. It does not work if you put pressure directly in the motherboard, it must be over the memories, so the problem is memory joint related.

I use to say that you should keep the console on for a few minutes after the mod, even if it display errors (just this first try) because I have seem cases (mostly of them) that it does not work immediatly. The warming up of the motherboard is important in this first step. It could be because it bends the motherboard to the right position and the pads them keep it in that position, but I believe it is because somehow it pushes the memories joints to the right position. It is not like melting the joint, but the heat provided by the motherboard together to the pressure applied to the weak joints somehow works. I repeat: the pressure must be exactly over the edges of the memories, specially the ones at the side of the GPU.

I also not saying the this heat comes from the memories. I believe the most of the generated heat comes from the GPU. It may warm up the memories joints, which are bellow the memories, not above like the rubber pads. This heat is not enough to melt anything, but somehow affects the weakened joints (flexing the board during warming up/cooling down weaks the joints, after sometime the heat start to affect the joints and giving 3RLs, the pressure counterbalance any effect from the heat).

Keep in mind that English is not my native language and sometimes I may find difficult to express my ideas in the right english terms.
    Original report, from Brazil:
    forum.jogos.uol.com.br/viewtopic.php?t=1141727

Well the survey results shows 4 not working against 37 working. But:
    - The 4 negative results users did not post anything in the thread, so they could be fakes, since anyone who could not perform the method succesfully would have post to get more information or at least cry about it (but we can not be sure).
    - Of course the same can be said about the positive results (we can not be sure) but very known users have been posting positive results, and usually they are very vocal about it. Another thing is that the survey can only register one vote per user, when many users have reported to successful fix more than one console (one from a relative or friend).

I suggest to you to try again, but to make better pads (look at the ones I have made in the photos). Maybe you will not be able to fix your console but there is a big chance that the pads are just the wrong ****or in the wrong position over the memories.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Blogjones

Blogjones Member

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

so your saying to glue erasers to the ram on the motherboard?

4. paul91

paul91 Regular member

^^ lol yeh thats what i got out of it :D

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

lol i really dont see that as working...