1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Race900, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Race900

Race900 Member

I have an issue. I am able to backup my Dvd's with no problems at all, I can play the backup dvd's with no problems. The only problem that I am having is that I now continue to keep getting the message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" whenever I try copying from the DVD (the backup DVD) on to my Hard drive. I get this message every single time. I am using the Plextor 712A dvd burner and I have upgraded to the latest firmware which is 1.05. I am running XP Home and I have downloaded all of the latest updates. I can not figure out for the life of me what is causing this error. I have even tried changing my Plextor to the Primary Master and placed my Samsung 52X as the Primary Slave.. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks .

2. Race900

Race900 Member

I am also getting the message "cannot read from the source file or disc" if I try copying a regular data disc (non DVD) from either CD drive on to my Hard drive. FYI, my harrd drive letter is set up as E, I went into the properties on each CD and DVD rom drive and set changed the default hard drive from C to E based on what others had recommended. I am sure this is an XP setting. Thanks ahead of time for any help.
    Race

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The problem is that DVD must be authenticated.. (it's like for protected PC/CD games). Which software did you use? Clone DVD could be of help...

4. Race900

Race900 Member

Even if this is not the original? I am not trying to rip a dvd, that has already been done. This is the DVD that was ripped and burned already. It will play fine anywhere, the problem is when I try to copy the files off of the dvd (you know the Audio_ts and Video_ts folders. The program that I used was DVD shrink, which is giving me no problems.

5. Race900

Race900 Member

I think I found the problem, it seems to be happening only with certain types of Media. I have the Plextor burner and this does notseem to happen with Verbatim discs, but it does happen more often when I use the Philips discs with this burner. It is not the philips brand, because they work in my HP burner fine. The problem is certain types of Media with the Plextor burner. Different media for different Drive manufacturers, I guess. I hope this helps someone else that may be having the same issue.