1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the riaa

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by jrock, Jul 27, 2003.

1. jrock

jrock Guest

can anyone please explain to me how the riaa is tracking down what we download on file sharing applications. i dont understand the whole process..i've been scared to share any files since this whole thing about people being sued..and is there a way around it..thanks

2. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I think the riaa just uses specail software to view the ip address of which files are being transfered. A way to protect yourself would be to use a program called peer guardian which blocks the riaa from peeking in on you. It's still not at all garanteed to protect you but it's better than nothing.

3. pacmoney

pacmoney Member

From my understanding it is a bit less technical than that. Most of your high speed internet service providers such as RoadRunner are owned by large media conclomerates such as AOL Time-Warner. They already have your IP logs from their internet service. RIAA can also strong arm university networks by theatening to sue and IP logs are usually turned over.

4. IMRANmel

IMRANmel Regular member

ok fine so u worried but i mean look at the big picture ere
    theres more than 7 million people out there doing exactly wat u do
    unless u download copius amounts u dont really have much to worry about
    the p2p world is still active
    chill

5. GOFREEDOM

GOFREEDOM Member

What would you mean by cs amounts? I mean, i have downloaded an amount of files numbering in the low hundreds (IE: 100,200,300). I was just wondering what the approximate number of downloaded files would set off a red flag to all those people scanning the p2p networks.

6. IMRANmel

IMRANmel Regular member

well i certainly don't know the number before they come loooking for you
    but i mean if u are always constantly downloadin downloadin downloadin
    then i mean u (logically) have a greater chance of being caught than som1 who uses it in moderation thats all

7. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Simple, they search for files, download them from all the sources they find, if its a copyright breaching file, the have the ip addresses, simple from there!