1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SCex Connection

Discussion in 'PS2' started by nabila, Oct 10, 2003.

1. nabila

nabila Member

I tried everything on my ps2 after the messiah 2 pro installation. It doesnt work. I saw in a post before that if the scex connection receives too much heat during soldering it could get damaged. And there was also this thing about it being possible to solder a new one. I got this damaged ps2 from a friend from which i'm willing to take the scex out. Is this possible, can i desolder and solder this? Need some pro help. Please..........

2. Woodys

Woodys Member

Yes it's possible to remove the SCEX components and fit them into your PS2.
    The black component is a 100kohm resistor and the brown one is a capacitor, I can't remember the value of.
    Get yourself some tweezers and heat each end of the component to remove it from one board. To install it clean up the solder pads and apply some solder and a bit of flux then again heat each end to solder it into place.
    The easiest way to install the SCEX point on the messiah 2 is to make a solder bridge between the 2 components and insert your wire that goes to the modchip.
    You say nothing on your PS2 works so as well as installing the new SCEX point i would double check all my other connections.____X_X_X_X_X_[small]UK Modchip Installation Service

http://www.woodys-modchips.co.uk[/small]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  3. nabila

nabila Member

Thanx a bunch, that helps a lot. But actually the power on the ps2 comes on, and there's just no video on the screen, i checked the wires over and over and the soldering related to them. And i read somewhere that the SCEx causes the video problem. Anyway any other tips on the situation would be really helpful, from anyone..........

4. Woodys

Woodys Member

If your getting a black screen the first thing i would check would be for solder bridges on the BIOS chip.
    If you have damaged the SCEX connection your PS2 will still boot up. The SCEX only controls PS1 games not video output.
    Also check all the internal fuses, check that none of them have blown.

5. djc11369

djc11369 Member

Actually I had a problem with the scex connection where the resistor had lifted enough to break the connection. It gives a black screen, does not boot, but the power does come on and the dvd tray still opens and closes. By the way the resistor is a 104kohm +/-5%, 1/16 watt. I ordered a replacement (lost the original) through digi-key, 102kohm +/-1% as they didn't carry 104k but it still falls in the range, just in case you need to know for future reference. If you have a multimeter do a resistance check to make sure you have continuity.