1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The slower the better? - DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Brentwood, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Brentwood

Brentwood Guest

I recently purchased a DVD Player and the conversation went like this:

Me: "Will this DVD Player play backup copies?"
    Salesman " Yes it will if you use good quality DVD Media"
    ME: "What constitutes "good quality DVD Media"?
    Salesman: "Well... any well known brand but make sure they are burnt at a slow speed"

Comments on this claim would be appreciated.

Also

I cant see where I have any control over the burn speed on DVD Shrink. The only options are - Maximum & 16X.

Is there something in DVD Shrink that would enable me to burn at a slower speed? unless of course concensus tells me that it doesnt make any difference.

2. Illusenia

Illusenia Member

The salesman is partially right.
    Only got the use good media part right. That would be Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

Speed? Well burning at 8x should be fine - but some players can be picky so you may need to take the speed done a notch.

Do you have a blank in the burner when you get those speeds?

Do you have a drive to read from and one to burn too?
    Using the same drive to read & write can on some burners give you limited burn options.

Keep the firmware on the burner up to date too.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

As Illusenia said, make sure you have a blank disc in drive when you want to set the burn speed in Shrink.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

What is shrink autoburnig with, Imgburn,Nero,decrypter?

Are u sure this is where u change it
    [​IMG]
    Speed does make a difference, u shouldn't burn higher than 12x or 8x depending on the media.

What are ur speed options when burning manually ?

If ur only option is 16x or max then id suggest u burn manually.

Also whats ur whole method for copying?

what is the make,model and firmware of ur burner?

5. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I don't actually agree with the salesman. I have been using cheaper media (Fry's Electronics brand called GQ) with excellent success. I have had no luck with TDK, JVC and Verbatim. I have a Panasonic 5 disc dvd changer, a Sony 5 disc dvd changer and a Sony 400 disc dvd changer and have had no problems reading the GQ brand burning at maximum speed. I also have 2 Pioneer dvd burners in my computer that have no problems with this brand. I've been using them for about 7 years (cd and dvd). You need to start out with a brand name dvd player like Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc. Make sure if the player only reads the (+) or the (-) formats, you use the format of the discs that your player reads. If the player reads both (+ & -), you can use either. These blank dvd's are available at Fry's Electronics or outpost.com for about $18.00 for a spindle of 100.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@orion250

Yeah I had a stack of those GQs from fry's in Houston. I think they coded out as Ritek 03 +Rs. Not bad media especially for the price.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Ritek has been a decent brand, though they had some trouble with their dyes a while back. They were never rated as high as TY and MCC. TDK, that could be TDK, TY or possibly another manufacturer. Verbatims best is made by TY and MCC. Sony's best is made by TY and Sony. TY sells under their own name as well. So, a person could buy TDK, Sony, Verbatim, and TY and possibly have the same media with only different labels. Buy good brands, but check and see what company manufactured each batch. Talking brands the way companies sell different manufactured items doesn't give much in the way of what's actually being used. If familiar with a brand and some of the manufacturers a person can tell what they're getting, but those brands may not always be available off the shelf. For instance +R Sony made in Japan is more than likely TY. The Taiwan product is Sony. Both are good. Verbs are mostly good, especially with the made in Japan. Ricohjpn is a good media and used to manufacture for Verbatim. Those were made in Taiwan. Most of the major brands with MIJ will be good. However when buying made in Taiwan, India and other locations, beware.

I was helping a member recently and their problem was media. They were using name brands. The Memorex was something like Daxon and the Imation was CMC. Those disks would either cause problems or not work at all with an NEC burner. By switching to Sony +R by Sony, the problems were solved. You see this type thing happening all the time.

As for burn speeds the likelihood of errors increase with speed. Some equipment and media will burn faster and more reliably than others. Burning a few disks at different speeds will let you know what will work on a particular system. Speed capability can vary with media as well, so keep that in mind. I burn at 6X and know that I could burn much faster. But why push my luck when it only takes a few minutes more at the lower speed. If in a hurry, burn as fast as you can. If you get errors, then slow down. How fast you burn is your business. I suggest the lower speed because it's proven more reliable.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If you have the burn speed set in DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn, whichever your version of Shrink supports, the burn speed will be grayed out.

[​IMG]

Here is what the burn settings look like in ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is what the burn speed setting looks like in Shrink when set for controling the burn speed in Nero.

[​IMG]