1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the so-called "Fantastic Battery" to unbrick PSP

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by essereli, Jul 17, 2007.

1. essereli

essereli Member

i am not sure if anyone in this forum have heard about that, in HK and China, people have mentioned it, but many doubt the possiblity.....

following is my real experience, maybe it helps to figure out what is happening out there....

last weekend i spent some times on thread forwarded from a friend on how to flash to 3.40OE then tried to flash my PSP, but failed......ended up with a brick.....

then i have to spent more time to find out way to save it....answer is: only the "hard" way, bring it to Sony customer service, or find a workshop to get the flash chip out and flash it....it will cost some money for sure......

i am working somewhere in China, i ask my local colleague for advices where to find that kind of workshop, then when i called for a quote, they told me it can be done in 15 mins. so i went there and give it a shot!

the girl in the shop asked me about the syndrome, making sure it was bricked due to flashing. then she took out my battery, MS and UMD, then she put in a battery-like stuff in the slot, about double the thickness of a normal battery, then plug in the power supply, then push the power button.....blink! it is up!

after around 10mins, it is back to the menu, then another gal works on it to get it to 3.40.....

some people on forum states that PSP itself might have a mechanism to trigger a boot which by-pass the flash and load software from MS and "reset" the flash chip to factory setting, i.e. unbrick the PSP which has flash chip corrupted

following is a link i can find from a China forum with a video

bbs.levelup.cn/showtree.aspx?postid=6294027

2. RiPPERD

RiPPERD Guest

i belive its called a "JIG BATTERY"

dont think there is a workin copy of it yet but have seen lots of vidz on youtube

3. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Technically, it's possible. Psp bricks when the boot program inside the flash memory is corrupted. So that big battery is just a external flash containing everything psp needs to boot up, (and maybe some sort of 'recovery menu' to transfer over the flash0 files). There are 3 pins in the batter that's said be be connected to the internal flash. If what you said is true, then that's definitely the "jigkick" battery.

But please understand our skepticism. This thing has been rumored years ago, and proven false many times. So unless I see it in person (not some shaky video) or read it in on a reputable site, I'll remain skepical...

4. essereli

essereli Member

well, understand most people's skepticism, actually before this happens to me, i doubt that as well, but now i realize one thing: as long as it is possible in theory, it will happen somedays - when it is feasible in terms of money....

i paid RMB100 (~USD13) for that, if the gadget cost USD1000, they can break even with just 77 operations, during that 15-20 mins when i was there, they were closing 2 deals on new PSP, both flashed, do the maths how many they sell in a month.....since profit margin on selling hardware itself is tiny, doing that kind of operation is a pretty good business.....

if you want to see it in person, come to china, bring a bricked PSP and get ready to pay for the magic moment.....

5. staxx

staxx Regular member

Yes this is true as he stated...more and more occurances are popping up and im sure a lot of this stuff is available out in china/japan...Check this video, starting firmware is displayed as 3.50, ending is displayed as 2.71... http://pimpware.org/

6. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

I'm about to start investing in bricked psp's, I have bought 2 psp's that ere bricked for 10$ eah, and one with a broken lcd for 20$. If this stuff is true, I might buy some more!

7. essereli

essereli Member

whao! just $10 for a bricked PSP? in HK there are people buying bricked PSP for something up to USD100.....i think those people are going to resell those as if they are new....it always happens

8. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

yup, I'm buying more too.

9. staxx

staxx Regular member

where are you getting them that cheap?

10. RiPPERD

RiPPERD Guest

ebay...

local advestising paper / mag...

google.xx.xx search for bricked psps for sale lol

11. staxx

staxx Regular member

Thats what i do, the ones i've seen are all $50 and up tho. (average is usually $70 that i find) I want his source to get them for $10-$20 :p

12. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

I get them from dumb kids on http://www.craigslist.com And people in my neighboorhood. I've got about 6 psp's, thos two on my page I got and replaced the motherboards.

13. staxx

staxx Regular member

damn, lucky you lolol most people in my area that sell them are too greedy.