1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The summary of CD-R brands - READ BEFORE ASKING!

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by cd-rw.org, Nov 22, 2002.

1. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Ok,today i've received the verbs i ordered and they are indeed from Japan,to be more exact,it's verbatim cd-r extra protection surface.I ordered them from Shanghai,where i am actually,got an online seller(some kind of local ebay called taobao).I'm aware that lots of stuffs are fakes here but if you look well you can get some pretty good deals on genuine stuffs too,like the time i found a shop which was the only place to have verbatim DVD+R 8X from Japan(Taiyo Yuden-genuine with the right inner hub coding)and i got myself 15 packs of 50,which i did well because now it's nowhere to be found.

Here's a link to that online seller,i myself can't understand chinese but i got it translated by google translate and also i have my wife who helps me in the ordering process like asking informations to the seller before buying.

Vincent.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  2. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I don't see Verb CDR extra protection surface discs on either Meritline or Supermediastore nor do I see them in a few local stores I checked. Must be for another part of the world. And as to the Verb MIJ DVD media I'd say you were really blessed to find it!!

3. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Yeah,i think so too mostly when it concerns Verbatim made by Taiyo Yuden.Because from some other posts here in AD it has been mentioned that UK does get the TY Verb DVDs time to time and not the US.And also i've read it here that the TY Verb cdr extra protection surface does exist in some parts of Europe too.So sad that it's not available worlwide because i know there are some good folks always looking for top notch medias.

But hey,if you intend to drop in Shanghai one day,do let me know,if i'm still around i can order some for you online or show you some good places where you can get very good medias:)

Vincent.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Hey.. Doc TY

I have been getting really good lasting results from Gigatain cd-r

They even read in my old dodgy samsung xbox drives.. made in India, but hell.. we can't all afford top notch media.

5. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Hmmm?I think you have mistaken me for DocTY,but i do know him and his knowledge is really much higher than mine when it concerns medias,burners and a lot of stuffs i guess,i've learned so much from him.But if you say that you're having luck with a particular media which plays flawlessly on your dodgy drive,then i guess you can stick with that brand.There's noone here saying that we MUST use any particular media,we just advise what's the best but it's the user who's the only one to decide what to use:)

Have a nice day!

Vincent.

6. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi fellas, checked out the posts in this forum. it's true there are varying results w/media. could be anything suggested here from burners and compatability to maybe even the pc's or dos.

that being said, there's a sale on sony cd-r's starting sunday at staples. 100 pk. $15.99. but newegg has ritek on sale for the same, lil more or less. free shipping.

i've had no problems w/sony dvd-r's but never used their cd's. they seem to have mixed results here. again could b many factors.

from some of your experiences would the ritek b a better buy, especially for the same price?

i've used only hp for cd's so far. mostly into video. the hp's have been good.

i get the best bang 4 the buck though. so these sony and ritek got my attention.

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I personally like the Sony CD-Rs better than the Ritek. I think you would be fine with them

8. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

thnx zo. i figured since i've used their dvd-r's how bad can their cd's be. doesn't always have to follow that way. but it's sony.

i've had no problems w/maxell dvd-r's 16x either. i would take a chance 1 day on their cd's. pro-disc seems to throw out both.

is ritek a good catch these days nyway? was posted here as 1 of the recommended manufacturers. just curious.

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

10. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

this site reputable like newegg? are the ones shown here more or less same good quality? have, shiny, inkjet, etc...

i'm leaning towards the sony nyway. don't mind trying new media so i could have more selection.

just like the ripping proggies.

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yes newegg.com is a great place to buy anything PC related. my first choice is supermedistore.com then meritline.com and newegg

12. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

good enough 4 me. my luxury problem at this point is whether to walk over to staples n snatch the sony. or order from newgg and snatch those ritek.

13. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I'm sure you will be happy with either brand

you could have the Sony NOW though compare to having to wait for the Ritek

14. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Yes I've used Sony CDR's & they are very good.

15. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

thnx fellas. they're gonna cost about the same also. staples'll will have them sunday on sale. newegg right now. i'll probably give my cc a break.

16. sleepybr

sleepybr Member

I'm a bit worried on the topic. I use tdk's a lot. How do they rate out on quality and time before losing data. Which gold dvd's should I use to keep quality on certain dvd videos?

17. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Thanks[/quote] Sony, Memorex & Verbatim all sell very reliable CD media. Personally, I like Maxell but that is a personal preference. If all of the CDs that you've been burning end up skipping I'd look elsewhere for the problem. What speed are you burning them at? I always burn my CDs as slow as my burner will allow (usually from 8x-16x) depending on which burner I'm using.
    You also need to make sure that your firmware up to date. This is crucial in producing the "perfect" burn. I have also found that my BenQ burners, while doing an awesome job with DVDs, simply don't produce results as good as my Pioneer and Litey when burning CDs . . .

Victor[/quote]

hi catfreak. i've had no problems burning sony cd-r on my 2 samsung burners. my pioneer dvr 112d v.1.24 however has issues w/them. mostly coasters. sometimes a full burn. i've been through the pioneer 112d burner problems thread, and still don't know if there's a certain brand that they work better with, or they simply have issues w/cds altogether. can you recommend a brand, if any, that they'll do fine with? otherwise i'm stuck w/a brand new burner that i could only burn dvds with, and well at that. still i'm po that it might always have issues w/cds period. greatly will appreciate any help here. thnx.

18. sleepybr

sleepybr Member

I have 2 pioneers, and a samsung/toshiba. Both pioneers handle the dvd's. So far no skipping at all, but I just wanted to ask as of the quality of tdk's.

19. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi sleepybr. as far as tdk's i haven't used them yet. i think 1 of the posts here suggested they were ok. cds that is. dvds has a different forum, and i'm sure you'll get better suggestions there as to quality dvds.

20. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I bought a 30 pack of TDK CDR's 3 months ago. They were burned as audiodiscs & several discs skipped & paused during playback (after the 60 minute point on my home syatem, the truck stereo as well as a portable player. I'll never buy TDK CDR's again after this bas experience with them. The first discs were burned at 16x. Other burns of 8 & 4x showed the same problems. Hopefully your results are better...