1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The thing to pick..

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Dav3, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Dav3

Dav3 Member

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I prefir the Ritek discs that have a giant arrow on the surface and are branded RiDATA ... I also would rather use the RICOHJPN (R01) produced discs as opposed to the Ritek (R03) produced discs ...

3. Dav3

Dav3 Member

why them, they arnt as highly rated at TY is, aslo dont you have to choose the A quaity, and how do you know if it is

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

My understanding is that the More expensive Ritek are probably the branded ones. THat the branded riteks are Grade A media which is going out under riteks name . The others are most likely Riteks that did'nt meet the quality curve to be Grade A Genuine Ritek and were sold off to some third party who depending on their honesty will either sell them as 2nd or 3rd tier media (lower quality ) or Try to pass them offas grade A at a good price. I have'nt had too much expierience with Ritek in the DVD media arena as I confess that so far I have only Used Ritek DVD-RW and found them acceptable . However if I were to buy Ritek media of any DVD format - I would only buy the branded ones . But being that SAMSCLUB has verbatims -& taiwan Fuji's at reassonable prices now & best buy /compusa /officedepot/Staples ect . seem to put quality DVDR media on sale almost every week for prices that are comparable or lower than branded riteks online I have'nt bought any yet. Althought Newegg.com Does put them on sale somewhat regularly so perhaps given a great deal I may buy them sometime . I am not knocking Riteks it's great media from what I've read just trying to help- hope this clears things up DAV3- peace

5. Dav3

Dav3 Member

thanks, ill stick to getting TY and nothing elce i suppose it seems tricky lol to get other stuff

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

TY is a safe bet ! You can often get Taiyo Yuden media on the cheap by Buying Fuji DVD media . ButBe sure That you pick Fuji Media (DVD+R /DVD-R ) that is made in japan ! It will say so on the package usually on the spindle label right near the upc/barcode symbol . Bestbuy seems to put fuji media on sale nearly every other week . The thing is that they usually have the JAPANESE made FUJI's = TAIYO YUDENS mixed in with the TAIWAN made FUJI's so you may have to dig a little bit. The Packaging is the same so look close. Fuji has switched their OEM - The mfr. that made their DVD media from Taiyo YUDEN/Japan to a Taiwan MFR. I don't think that the Taiwan disc are bad just not the quality of the TY disc. I have bought some white surface inkjet printable fuji's that are taiwan made but have yet to try them - I bought for $ 10.00 @SAMSCLUB of the closeout rack. They Code out as Prodisc FO1's but I have'nt actually used them yet. You can probably get by extremely well with most branded media as many do .but if forced to chose TaiYo Yuden is not a bad choice to make- good luck good burning & good day- peace

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  7. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Yes, if you're going the Ritek route, their own brand "Ridata" (not Ridisc), is guaranteed "A" grade. I've always had good results with these, although not in the same league as TY. One thing to watch for is that the +R Ridatas are sometimes downrated in burner firnware (especially NECs), the 8x R03s only burning at 4x.

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Higgsbsun- thanx for the info as it is pertaining to me as I have two NEC's and I'm sure some other afterdawners have Nec's too so it will be helpful to them as well. -peace