1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Read my post again. It's there simply cuz I dont wanna get involved in a ATi/nVidia pissing contest.

Oh and if you look at Tom's reviews carefully, you might notice a bias AGAINST ATi. I agree with this bias but its still unprofessional and since then I dont put any faith in their reviews anymore (heck i dont even read them anymore).

Cheers.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I 'm not into the ATI/Nvida debate either since I use both freely or rather the one that is currenty the best "bang for the buck." Sometimes it's Nvida and sometimes its ATI. I've been reading Tomshardware reviews since 96 and I remember a time when Voodoos were top dog until Nvidia brought them down. when you stated [bold]you noticed a bias AGAINST ATi.[/bold] I assume you meant the reverse and a bias against Nvidia? Only a few short years ago it was thought that they had a bias in favor of Nvidia. Both make good cards and if someone browsing the forum was swayed to buy one or the other of their quality units, it would still be a good recommendation and a safe buy.

3. Praetor

Well thats the same as a bias AGAINST ati :)

Yeah with their review of the GF6800 i noticed a slight (very subtle but present) bias AGAINST ATi and in FAVOR OF nVidia ... naturally this might be expected since they were reviewing the new nVidia Flagship card but still -- its unprofessional to do so... also, the Aquamark benchmarks were "flawed" (in both the nVidia and ATI benchmarks) -- look at the values on the axes -- both reviews have the same flaw -- what are the odds of that; either it was a (supposedly) highly unlikely error or they didnt put much effort into making either review. My two cents :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The current reviews seem to favor ATI against Nvidia but the cards are so damn close in quality that their difference is largely irrelevant. I have more Nvidia cards in my old hardware archive than I do ATI's, but I'm fickle that way and likely to shift at any moment toward the current leader. Just ask my old Voodoo 2000 and 3000 sitting in the same box.

5. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

i am so pissed about video cards...i got the ati 9800 pro all in wonder...and when i got it, it cost like $500 dollers, it was more then 1/4 of my computer cost and now its down to like 300 or something

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There are only two types of product what is on the drawing board and what you buy is obsolete. It's still a good card so enjoy it.

7. Praetor

LOL if you follow hardware trends you'll realize that its prolly best to buy 2 or 3 cards from the absolute best (i.e., midrange cards) and every so often, make the big leap when certain opportunities present themselves (for this you have to also have a feel for the gaming industry)

:)

For instance some of the major landmarks were: TNT, TNT2, GeForce256, GeForce3, GeForce6800 or equivalently, Rage128, Radeon, Radeon9800, X800. Aside fromt those "landmarks" its prolly better (financially) to buy a card or two from the top :)

8. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

the one i got wasnt at the top...it was close..top 5 i would say...but its still really good...just the price has gone down quite a bit...same as the cpu...but i expected that..i got the athlon 64 3200+ right when it came out(i had waited like 5 months for it to come out)

9. Praetor

Hehe I bought the Matrox Mystique 4MB, TNT2, GeForce2MX, GeForce4Ti4400, traded (for free) to my GeForce4Ti4600 and seriously considered buying a GFX5700 but i didnt so i can now trade in for a 6800U-EE which should last me prolly 2 generations of games.

10. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

hey Praetor never think anything in a computer will last....by the end of the year, everyones comp whos is great now...we will old, and slow..lol

i would go back and forth all night, but i gotta sleep too..lol
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD athlon 64 3200+
    ATI 9800 pro all in wonder
    Memorex dual x format
    ps2 v10, Magic V 5K6[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2004
  11. Praetor

I didnt say it would last forever but that i would expect it to last 2 generations which is hardly unreasonable considering my current system, while not top of the line is certainly not obsolete. :)

12. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

2 generations mmight be pushing it a little, but hey who knows?

13. Praetor

It might be but for the amount im gonna spend on the 6800U-EE it will be fine (lets not forget the GF4Ti series has been good for 3 generations of games).

14. erichm

erichm Guest

I am a fairweather fan when it comes to video cards. When I bought my geforce 3 it crushed ati's best at the time. When Ati intoduced the 9700 pro I quickly changed my opinion of them.

I can't wait until we actually see some games that punish the new generation of cards. Does anyone know when Doom 3 and Half life 2 are being released?

15. Praetor

Doom3 = "this year"
    Haflife2 = who gives crap? :)P can you tell i hate hatelife? ;-) )

16. erichm

erichm Guest

Ha Ha,

Yes, I am quite disappointed as well

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm not upgrading until I can get a mobo that supports PCI Express and DDR2, hopefully from Abit.

Once I can, I'd like to slap in a pair of Hitachi's new 300GB 10,000 rpm SATA hard drives using the Matrix RAID Intel's going to use in it's Grantsdale chipset - part of the drives run RAID 0 and the other part are RAID 1 for security. Melikes the idea :)

http://www.dvhardware.net/article2193.html

It'll also get a PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 PSU, a dual layer 8X DVD burner, and the best ATI card at the time. I'll wrap it all up in anything but a fugly Xaser case, probably something from Coolermaster or Lian-Li.

This may sound more "real world" than "dream" but with my current budget it definitely qualifies as a dream :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  18. Praetor

Hehe back on topic ... add this cooler -- more effective than the 'classic' Lightspeed AC cooler because you can use any case with this.
    http://www.vapochill.com/main/page.asp?sideid=402
    Just check out the unit! :p
    [​IMG]

Why them .. Hitachi makes 400GB drives too :p
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  19. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

10,000 rpm vs. 7,200 rpm!

I'm obsessive/compulsive about hard drive space so 300GB (half the matrix RAID) would be more than enough for me :)

20. Praetor

LOL i recall saying
    I recall when i said "xxx GB is more than enough for me" or even when i said "xxx is a silly amount of hdd space" -- im looking into NAS now :p