1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Possibly -- but not so many are required.

To my knowledge they dont make 1.5GB DIMMs -- the mobo prolly has three DIMM slots with a total capacity of 3GB running at a slower speed or 2GB runnning at a higher speed. In either case, 2GB of memory is enough to ditch the RAID -- if all you're uisng it for is to augment the swap.

The faster xfer rates are expected however I'm disturbed that your HDDs had difficulty keeping up with your optical drives (which are orders-of-magnitude slower) -- PIO/DMA?

Let's keep in mind that this thread is dedicated to the "no expense spared computer" but even then, 3GB is more than enough to eliminate the need for swap -- for the time being.

2. jvwheel

jvwheel Member

It's not a wonder you have this thread to yourself.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Still thinking in the practical world and with not too much expense line. Would it be possible to modify a PCMICA card addaptor with (8 in 1) capabilty to hold multiple Ram or Compact flash chips. So do some hardware alterations and make a hard drive from very fast 4Gb Compact flash or an array of 2GB Ram chips. This you could set up as your primary fast solid state hard disk. Should work, by I know I haven`t discribed this correctly.

4. Praetor

Now now that was hardly required as the premise for this thread was for the most extravagant setup one can concieve :)

Prisoner
    That's a dang good idea ... I completely forgot about solid state drives! :) That would definitely solve your swap. problems :)

5. jvwheel

jvwheel Member

Praetor, Yesterday your response appeared to be more abrupt and harsher than it appears today. I apoligize, my remark wasn't warranted.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I was thinking of a Ram chip array if you like soldering conected to a PCMICA addaptor or USB 2 or what ever. If not so much on the soldering, just buy a external enclosure and use it backwards, plug one end into the desired port of the computer and stack the USB2 or Firewire end with a multi card reader loaded with the fastest, large capacity cards you can aford. I think this would work and reconize as a primary drive.

Some one out there should have some fun, Compact flash are really small, and large capacity for the price.

7. Praetor

Without drifing too far off topic, would CF be incredibly... uh... slow? :)

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well you do have a point on compact flash. See:
    http://www.supermediastore.com/ridhigtransp.html
    This chip is the "fastest CF" and only 6MB/sec. Kind of really slow. SD has a chip that is 10MB/sec.

But with the fastest Hard drive being 500Mb/s that is only 27MB/sec if I can still do math, so not too far and most people do have 133 setups which is only about 16MB/sec. So its geting there, but for the cost really too slow and does defeat the point.

But you could buy this [​IMG]
    which is what I didn't think was out yet. Only $900 for the board which max capacity is 4GB.

The write up was as follows:

9. jvwheel

jvwheel Member

It seems to me that in the late 80s there were daughter boards that were built to carry additional ram through the system bus. There are possibly things of that nature today. A few years ago when RAM was dirt-cheap one could put 5GB on such a board for about $350. Anyway I would like to talk more about system memory, RAM and storage, as well as other configuration issues after I do some research. You guys are extremely well informed and I value your input. I'll see you guys on the "other hardware" forum before I commit to a particular set-up. I have read a lot here and know you guys have a vast knowledge of systems.

Quote:

Let's keep in mind that this thread is dedicated to the "no expense spared computer" but...

Praetor, I agree and I meant the apology. But it seems as I do more research my Computer Upgrade Venture is becoming more of a Dream Machine. Anyway when I'm ready to build I'll start another thread for building a dream machine on a budget. The budget is too embarrassing to mention at this point. You guys have a great evening.

10. Praetor

Awesome idea... i've been considering that kinda thread... justs didnt know how to start it off heehee ... as for the budget -- i know the feeling

11. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well as my budget is usually only free stuff Labs throw out or stuff I find in the street. I can`t think your budget is that laughable.
    Yes I am that guy going though the garbage in front of computer stores in Toronto. Hey thats How I got a couple 2Gb drives and some good ram.
    Also Pawnshops are good for computer stuff. But you do have to love to solder to make the good stuff.

Yes little off topic, but I thought people should know my maddness in this hobby. I think I would like a budget computer thread as well. :p

12. Praetor

LMAO ... get ur arse back to 'loo on Thursdays then! UW Junk sale ... hell you can pick up a nice triple tube theater projector for $150 (which is the most expensive thing in the place by an order of magnitude). Hell you can grab a decent 19" for $1.50+tax heehee

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93097

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! I give my used stuff to the kids at a school near where I live, where I work. I rebuild the old computer parts into a computer with and for the kids. I wouldn't throw parts away if I thought they still worked. However if you're looking to stay on top of the computer technology curve you don't do it by dumpster diving.

14. Praetor

Damn! So.... where do you live????? :)

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Tampa Florida!

16. Praetor

A tad to far for me so I'll stick to my dumpsters heehee ... however more on topic, has anyone ever found a CRT with a d.p. lower than 0.20? :)

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

[bold]has anyone ever found a CRT with a d.p. lower than 0.20?[/bold] No! What size of monitor? This is mine.

has anyone ever found a CRT with a d.p. lower than 0.20?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  18. Praetor

17" or bigger preferably (ideally 19") but it doesnt matter.... if the d.p. is less than 0.20, hell i'd switch to a smaller monitor!

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Praetor

You know that the dot pitch changes with size on CRT's, but I wouldn't trade CRTs 1:1 for the current LCD monitors.

20. Praetor

Arent most LCDs sitting at 0.28-0.31?

Yes but it's not that much of a direct relationship. Dot pitch is still measured (roughly) the same way and still measured using absolute units (i.e., millimetres). Now i could be misinterpreting you ....