1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the ultimate newbie snes station question list...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by hnikkels, Dec 9, 2004.

1. hnikkels

hnikkels Member

subject says it all. i know nothing except that i LOVE snes games. so before u all laugh, please bear with me.

1. is it at all possible to load up snes roms without the use of a modchip and/or disc swapping method?

2. what is this memory card exploit all about?

3. is it possible to use dvd-r instead of cd-r?

4. again, is any of this possible without modding the ps2 via chip/flip-top/swap-disc/etc?

ok, now that everyone has had the chance to laugh. please let me introduce my pitiful situation. i love the old school snes games (most, if not all of them). i have neither ps2 nor snes. i gave up my snes some years ago and now i "share" a ps2 with my nephew, but there is basically no way i am allowed to do any mod-work on the ps2. can anyone help me out? thank u in advance.

also, i did spend over 5 hours combing thru the previous snes station threads and i came up with nothing except more confusion. especially about the mem card exploit topic.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  2. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

1. Yes, you need snes-station and THIS:

[​IMG]
    [bold]No mods needed[/bold]

2.The MC exploit lets you install programs to the memory card.

3.No you cant use dvd-r, only cdr for this.

4.YES Action Replay Max is all you need to do it. No modchip/flip/disc/etc.

lol hnikkels, Snes was great.
    [​IMG]
    You still confused?

3. hnikkels

hnikkels Member

J³, thanks for the extremely fast response! here are a few more follow-up and hopefully final questions that were either unanswered or unclear from ur other posting(s), J³...

1. is the MC exploit even part of the steps needed to run snes station (using AR max)?
    2. do i need a pen drive to load the emulator? if so, is there a minimum/maximum size?
    3. what is the difference between AR max and AR max EVO?
    4. if its not too much to ask, can u please explain what u meant in this posting from
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/124196
    Snes-station + ARMAX for n00bs:
    Create a ROM disc using max creator.
    Put the snes-emu on the pendrive.
    Load ARMAX, bung in the ROM disc and pendrive.
    Run the "max media player".
    Select PLAY...thats all =)
    Simple right?

i see it as: use max creator to make a disc for the ROMs and put the emulator in the pendrive. (is this just copy and paste into the pendrive with windows? what file specifically? the whole snes station directory?)

again, thanks so much for the help. viva snes!

4. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

To answer your Q's hnikkels:
    1. For the ARMAX method I posted the MC exploit is not needed.
    2. You can use armax + pendrive (any size) to load s-s, I havent bothered loading it from a cdr but that should also work I think?
    3. Max Evo comes with a 16MB maxdrive, ARMAX doesnt.
    4.The way you see the guide is correct. Your only confused because you DONT have ARMAX yet =)
    here it is again for the newbs...

[edit]Guide:
    [bold]How to play SNES ROMS on your Ps2 with ARMAX![/bold]

1. Use [bold]nero[/bold] to compile a disc filled with your favourite SNES ROMS.
    2. Once thats done "copy and paste" the COGSWAP.ELF file onto your pendrive...no you dont need to format the drive or anything like that, simply "drag n drop" cogswap onto the drive.
    3. Load the MAX media player and plug the pendrive into the usb port.
    4. Select PLAY to load cogswap then slidecard for your SNES disc and press X...thats all.
    Enjoy playing snes classics on your Ps2.

jonjakjam

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  5. kgray

kgray Member

yes google it

6. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Google WHAT?? LOL did you even bother to read through this thread kgray?

7. 12steps

12steps Member

[bold]Please help I am at the end of my rope![/bold]

I read this thread a couple days ago and thought it would be cool to play the old snes games on my ps2 since I have a ton of roms sitting on my computer and never touch them. I went out and bought the AR max Evo and tried to follow instructions to the T. I can get snes station to load fine, but when it reads the rom disk that I've burned with max media creator, snes station says "No Directories or Roms on CD". I've tried burning every possible way I can think of and have yet to play a snes game on my ps2.

I'm using TDK CDRs with the newest version of max media creator. My roms work fine (I can play them on my pc perfectly). I've even been able to load snes station right off a cd (without the pen drive) and it still didn't see my roms which were sitting right there in the root directory.

I've gone as far as to burn my rom disk using the three different compatabilities that max media creator offers, no luck. I've shortened the file names of my roms before I burned, no luck. I've also burned cds in Nero following the instructions from the walkthrough on the snes station website and guess what, NO DICE!
    All I ever get is the "No Dir or Roms on CD Bull SH**"

I know I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is. Any help with my problem would be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of burning coasters.
    Thanx.

8. woodman2

woodman2 Member

exactly my problem.
    does the version of the PS2 matter?

9. vagabundo

vagabundo Member

Would this work for Genesis roms too?

10. 12steps

12steps Member

I can run Genesis roms using the pgen emulator that comes with AR max no problem. I wish I had the same results with snes station, I remeber enjoying the Super Nintendo games a lot more than the ones for Genesis. My PS2 is a 30001R version, although I don't think it matters. It sure would be nice to have both emulators up and running, 'til then no Mario Kart.

11. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Yes 12steps after doing some tests it would seem that s-s doesn’t recognise discs created with max creator since they are formatted to appear as some kind of audio disc.Only ARMAX and [bold]Pgen[/bold] will recognise these kind of discs.
    If you want to create a [bold]working disc for snes station[/bold] use nero.

follow the guide here
    http://snes-station.gamebase.ca/

12. frankytot

frankytot Member

hi jonjakjam, Ive been reading up on what you've said about snes snation and the ps2 using ARMAX EVO and I've just ordered one. I was wondering, I know you've probably answered this a million times before but how exactly do you load snes roms onto your ps2?

From what I understand you

1. Load SS emu onto key drive
    2. Burn rom disc with nero - simply put roms onto disc and burn (any specific settings?)
    3. Load ARMAX EVO and load Media centre, put in usb key driv, eject cd drive and insert rom disc?

Is this correct?
    Sorry to be repeating similar topics but I just wanted a definitve guide? Also, what is this cogswap on the key drive? I thought it was simply the snesemu.elf file?

I'd really appreciate a reply, sorry for the hassle!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  13. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

You will need to compile the snes-station disc in nero. ARMAX will not recognise a disc compiled with nero so you have to use cogswap to boot it.
    Here are the settings you need to select in nero:
    No multisession!
    Joliet
    ISO level 2
    Mode 2/XA
    ISO 9660
    Allow more than 64 characters for joliot names

Then click on new.
    Now drag the snes emu, system.cnf and install.cnf files into the compilation.
    Create a new folder and rename it to roms (put all your snes roms into this folder and drag it into the compilation).
    Click the burn icon.
    Make sure you select FINALIZE CD, Disc at once and write speed @ 16x before you burn.

Cogswap lets you boot cdr discs.
    So use ARMAX to load up the cogswap.elf then use your slidecard to swap for the snes disc and it WILL boot.

14. frankytot

frankytot Member

Thanks very much, couple more questions (Sorry!)

1 Is there definitely no other way but slidecard method (considering no mod chip)
    2. and which rom extensions work?

thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my newbie questions!

15. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

16. frankytot

frankytot Member

Nice one, just waiting on my stuff now!
    Thanks for you help, hope it goes smoothly for me :p (it never does)

17. BDemm32

BDemm32 Member

Where can we find the File CogSwap.elf for use with the AR Max Evo method

18. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

search for it in google.

19. BDemm32

BDemm32 Member

I searched in google and i came up with stuff about problems and found a Boot.elf is this the same thing?

20. russwhit

russwhit Member

Just a quick one, can you use winhiip to put the emulator and the games on the HD then use HD advance to play all