1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wierdest Magic 3.1 problem ever!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by JVegas, May 17, 2003.

1. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

A client sent me a V7 with a magic 3.1 he tried to install. He put in the note, "I think I may have bridged something."

Ok.

So I cleaned everything with a wick and installed his Knock off Magic 3.1.

When I boot it the sound is just screwed! That's the best way to discribe it. It tins and is just "f00ked"!

What could this be?
    I have never seen this before. I have installed over 100 Magics and this one has me stumped.

It's not the chip cause I replaced it with anothe real Magic and it's doing the same.

Thanks!

2. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

Then your client caused some kind of damage to the system. People think they are saving themselves money when they try this on their own but really they are costing themselves more, $200 more. I have had customers that want to buy just the chip from me. I'm not into that shit. Go get it somewhere else cause whenever it's not working they are so quick to blame the chip. It's always the installation. Are the weird sounds coming from the drive?

3. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Nope. It through the speakers themselves. This is really pissing me off.

4. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Tell him the situation and let them make their own decision. If he wants his money and chip back then charge him a shop price and call it even. Or see if he doesnt mind crappy sound and send it back to him as is.

5. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

I just told him and he says he has faith I can fix it. I told him I would try again. Any ideas on hy this is happening?

6. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I have never real come across this on a 3.1. It happens some times on a M2 on V.5/6 systems because of the clock wire but not on a 3.1. I will do some research and see what I can turn up.

7. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

I know. This is so strange. This is even worse then the Messiah, the sound is all messed up and very tinny. It doesn't drop out at all. There's no way to discribe it, you would just need to hear it.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

8. acal

acal Member

so you guys install these chips so you know what your talking about. What is a good mod chip that you recommend and where could i go to get it installed.
    thanks
    p.s. i have a v5/6 if that matters

9. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

10. acal

acal Member

hey man thanks a lot ill look into it

11. acal

acal Member

oh yeah and i am looking for a nice dvd burner and do you again have any suggestions
    im looking at an hp300i

12. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

I have both a Pioneer A05 and a Sony DRU and both are great!

13. EviLAnGeL

EviLAnGeL Guest

The tinny sound comes from a bridge somewhere on the MNOP contacts. I know you said you cleaned it but it only has to be the tiniest minutest piece of solder to cause a bridge. Get a really good magnifying glass and take another look for bridges or solder balls. This happened to me the other day and it was so small it took 30 mins of close examining just to find it.

14. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Did the sounds stutter and echo and overlap? That's whats happen to this system. I really check it good.

Thanks!

15. drewid

drewid Member

with the MNOP connections its more a digital noise rather than what type of sounds your describing.. sounds like a random solder ball somewhere.. good luck!! :)

16. EviLAnGeL

EviLAnGeL Guest

Yes it sounded very tinny and echo like, distant and like it was stuttering and breaking up. It was a bridge on the O contact and the leg next to it that was causing my problem. Was a real bastard to find. I guess it doesn't rule out the bridge being somewhere else, but I can only speak from what happened to me.

17. NOFX420

NOFX420 Member

I am having problems with my ps2 system after installing the magic 3 chip and I am looking for someone in canada to install the chip properly... does anyone know of a trusted installer close to or in BC??