1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word Back up on some fourms

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by yzrider22, Nov 22, 2007.

1. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

I was just wondering why on some other fourms they get pissed off if you say you was playing a backup?For example I was on this other site putting my info in for the ban,and i metioned that I play both orignals and backups online,K well i got A pm saying if I ever said I play a backup again I will be banned from there site,I dont get it.I thought the whole purpose of firmware mods was so you can rip your games and not worry about screwing up your investment.

2. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

They get anal because it's actually against the Xbox Live TOS to play a backup (doesn't matter if you own it) online.

3. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

So what your saying is that It's ok to back them up,But don't play them online at all,cause it's against xbox live rules.And if i'm playing them online and it's against xbox rules its against there rules.(site rules)Were I guess i was wroung.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

look, some site are just anal and hypocritical and really have no business even being around. Take the Almighty Xbox-Scene for instance. They have guides by their own mods on how do do certain mods yet if you speak about back ups they go ballistic and ban you.
    Then you can go there and find 25 page threads about bannings where people clearly mention backups, firmware and such?

They want to be modding sites yet they also want to be a site that you should not mention modding on. It is just completely irrational.
    Everyone knows backups are illegal (game owned or not). But in the same respect everyone know what the firmware mod is for. you do not do a firmware mod for ANY other reason but to play backups since that is the ONLY function that it has.

So in closing you should avoid those sites like the plague they are.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

For the most part I agree but as for the highlighted red area, remember around the whole world laws are different and may not apply to everyone.

6. xbubbax

xbubbax Regular member

imho xbox scene is a little weird about their TOS....it seems that once a 72 page ban thread is started, everything is thrown out the window as far as TOS goes...but they are a great site for forum resources....but i smell what your stepping in there stimy

7. steimy

steimy Active member

sorry Oner
    I figured copywrite laws were pretty much standard around the world. Was not aware that in some locations it was leagl for you to make copies of games.

xbubbax, yes, they have a lot of resources but i can get the same thing here or another favorite forum so i really never go there. I stand by the forums that gave me what i know today. And that is good old AD :)

8. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

For archival purposes a copy/backup is not always illegal.

9. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

Ya they are the site im refering to.I was going to send a pm back to the dude that pm ed me, but like someone said they are a great site for resources.so I don't want to be banned.And the way I look at it is maybe they should'nt have a thread about the banning cause anyone that goes to that site makes backups,either there own or downloaded,so you know what kind of replys your gonna get, believe it or not we do play them.I play mine all the time ,in never the originals.3 Kids In no matter how careful you tell them to be it never works.It just freaking erks me when they ask for input about what everyone does, then at the same time ban you.