1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory about P2P Avi's

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by bubba1278, Mar 27, 2007.

1. bubba1278

bubba1278 Member

Since I've yet to find a solution to my previous query's about incomplete AVI conversion, I've come up with a theory that I hope someone can debunk.
    Certain P2P AVI's have been processed such that it is impossible to encode the complete movie for DVD burning. I have used every software that I can get my hands on to encode my AVI's for burning to DVD so I can view them in my home theater. I've watched these AVI movies with no interruption on my PC, but after conversion with AVI2DVD The ends of the films are missing. I've set the program on all possible settings and to no avail.
    Can anyone attest to successfully placing a P2P AVI on a DVD? If so I'll continue my quest. If not then I'll have been a fool for trying this long....

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Thousands of people do this every day.. I use dvd::author, for windows you need convertxtodvd.. in the AD software repository somewhere, or google for it.

Some avi uploads have the end titles cut for size reasons. Make sure you set the final target size for your media capacity.

3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

p2p filesharing has been bad for not having the whole movie or the wrong movie titled, you would be better off going to torrents,also i guess you get what you pay for or what you don't right?

4. bubba1278

bubba1278 Member

I am using Torrents. The files are fine, just having problems while encoding.
    And agreed, That's why it's only frustration and not honest anger.

BUBBA

5. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

i highly doubt you tried every encoder on the market, probably more like every FREE encoder on the market. step one is loose avi2dvd and use pro software like tmpgenc xpress and tmpgenc author. i tried ususing avi2dvd once after using the pro setup for years and it was terrible. incompatability issues out the ass!

6. bubba1278

bubba1278 Member

You got me on the "freeware". I would be more than happy to purchase quality software. Just a little short right now is all. Thanks for the tip though.

7. DJackhole

DJackhole Member

Well I don't use P2P but I have dl avi's and put them on DVD with no problems. This can also be done with all freeware progs if need be.

These progs are all freeware that can be used for what you want to do:

avisynth
    besweet
    hcenc
    aften
    muxman/ifoedit/rejig
    guidvdauthor

8. bubba1278

bubba1278 Member

Thanks, I had a feeling that there was a completely no-cost way to accomplish this task. Apparently AVI2DVD just refuses to encode an entire AVI File. I've tried using it on about 6-7 films and get the same result (missing 10-15 minutes of end). I'll be gearing up with these suggestions. Thanks again, I'll re-post once successful.

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Asked if ever put a sucessful torrent avi on dvd.. Yes, literally hundreds of times..

All LOTR, Leon , and many many others.

My first step to backing up a dvd is to make an avi out of the main feature, then make a mpg from that, while dropping any protection, then building a new dvd structure.

There is probably nothing wrong with 90% of the uploaded avi's, it's more likely shoddy software or something wrong with your method.

My program list is (linux)

acid:rip
    avidemux (using mplayer with a custom psl droplist, does something similar to fix-vts/vob-blanker)
    dvdauthor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  10. bubba1278

bubba1278 Member

Backing up my physical dvd collection has not been an issue. It's the AVI's I've downloaded from the web (via remote from my other PC of course) I can watch them just fine on my PC, but cannot get any of them to encode completely to burn onto a DVD, the entire encoding process goes off without a hitch i.e. no errors or interruptions. When I play back the newly encoded video file the last 10-15 minutes are missing. Basically the system I'm using either fails to create the total amount of vts files, or creates them all but leaves out the endings.
    A hypothetical sessions goes as follows:
    1. Download let's say "Happy Feet" via web.
    2. Watch movie on PC, no issues, great flick
    3. Load said file into AVI2DVD using hcenc encoder
    4. Process completes. vts files created.
    5. Click to play vts files and find that the end of the film is missing.
    I've been exploring cost free solutions, only to find that my only possible solution is to spend 30-40 bucks on something like convertx2dvd.
    I would hate to purchase a program only to find that the results are the same.