1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory on burning GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Sep 21, 2004.

1. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Blah!!!geestar20 is right the games out right now for the GC do not have the graphics the new Zelda has and the Resident Evil 4 game.I think once those games comes out then it might make a difference,but right now the GameCube is really not putting anything out that is worth investing in the system.I also seen Nintendo selling the DS system which is the portable system selling for 150 dollars.I don't really get why a portable system is gonna cost more than a actual console system.The graphics on the new portable system are not that much improved from the gameboy advanced,and I think the Sony PSP has got that beat also.I really don't know where Nintendo is gonna end up in the next couple of years,but right now it isn't looking good at all.

2. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I'd love to see microsoft make a hand held. It could have windows and apps, that'd rock.

3. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Yeah, and it could crash five times daily and it could have straps so you could wear it as a backpack.

4. Hogmyster

Hogmyster Member

the microsoft hand held has been out for a long time.. its called any pocketpc you grab ;)

as for the nintendo's graphics sucking... sure they aren't always REALISTIC graphics, but come on.. the gameplay is where it counts and i havent found many PS2 games or Xbox games for that matter that have kept my interest as long as nintendo ones... GTA3 just made me want to puke, i was a hardcore GTA and GTA 2 fan and then they went 3d assness that i really didnt like...

halo 2? fable? too little too late... sony is only still around because they're soo loose on the development kit for the ps2.. they let almost any and every developer get their grubs on it, and it shows.. theres like 9000 games that suck, and a good 200 that are good (yes i'm an anti-PS2 person but i do know some games are good so i'll be generous lol) you dont find that in the gamecube section, they've stuck to the traditional sports, kids, parties, and nintendo 1st party games that are almost a gauranteed good game.

pikmin 2 is a REALLY fun game if you havent played it (dust off your cube, press that pretty little open button and throw in pikmin 2... its not a bad game)

now sony's psp, i don't think will take over the portable gaming scene, for the price of it (estimated at 300$ retail from the start opposed to the 150$ for the DS) you could get a DS with nice fun games for a portable and then you could buy a dvd player that plays dvds/mp3s/vcds and you'd still have a good 50$ chump change to spare. the only thing the psp might be able to stay around for is because it has those multimedia functions i dont think its going to make a big hit in the portable department because those games are really just ps2 games in disguise which i dont think would be good hand helds...

yeah sorry bout the long reply :) please super ted get some good news for us !

5. indienemo

indienemo Guest

a pocketpc is not a handheld console doofus. and i meant made by microsoft not a pocket pc, they are not made by microsoft as the x-box is they are made by electronics companys and have windows installed onto them.

6. Nato9

Nato9 Member

the gamecube chip wasn't meant to be more powerful than the xbox video chip... essentially, in PC terms the xbox is about equal to a geforce 4 (not the mx :p ) and the gamecube is roughly somewhere around the older Radeon 8500 or so?

ArtX had finished the work on the GC chip BEFORE ATi aquired them and put them to work on the new radeon lines... anyway, it doesn't matter. Nintendo basically messed everything up with their tight development policy on the N64, and they sorta changed that with the gamecube.. they're still making progress but they have to rely on their large 1st party game library to sell consoles.

and Sony doesn't actually make very many (any at all?) games themselves, per se.. it's mostly technically 2nd party development. ANYWAY, Nintendo's definitely made some bad judgement calls, but they're learning (albeit slowly, but surely) from their mistakes and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.. they still make a decent chunk of change.

So back to the topic at hand, good luck superted :D

7. Hogmyster

Hogmyster Member

calling me a doofus as you say hand held console... yes... consoles and hand helds ARE not nearly the same

and i was joking about the pocketpc remark, but by your confusing handhelds (such as the gameboy's, gamegears, n-gage, all that fun stuff) with consoles (ps2, jaguar, n64, dreamcast and what have you) you might as well call the pocketpc a handheld.. its operating system is from microsoft which practically makes them just as useful as any other microsoft product. oh did i mention theres also games for them? so there you go, you got yourself a handheld gaming device lol

and THATS why pocketpc is a handheld by microsoft...

oh and microsoft doesnt make any hardware in the xbox either so uhm whats the difference between a pocketpc and the xbox? not a whole hell of a lot except who produces and distributes them...

kthxbye

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  8. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I'll go get my coat, sir.

9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

You guys are funny!!! this topic is amussing :D

10. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Actually the xbox video is basically a Geforce3 ti-500 slightly ramped up. Its not nearly as fast as a Geforce4!!! Its a 233MHz custom chip named XGPU, developed by Microsoft and nVIDIA and it was based on the GF3 Ti core.

11. indienemo

indienemo Guest

...yay! i win :D

12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Good Gracious Hogmyster you didn't like GTA3 or GTA Vice City man.I mean come on the graphics where not all that,but still you can pretty much do anything you want to in the game man.I can't think of any other games that will let you do that besides a couple of others,that are currently out now because of the GTA series such as Driv3r and Getaway.I am gonna say Halo 2 is also a good game,if you play shooting games you will like it.If you are not into shooting games then no,probably not a game for you.I think in the handheld department I could care less to be honest.I don't have a urge to pay for something that is gonna be twice as much as the console that produce the best graphics.The DS is 150 where the GameCube is 100 dollars,why would the DS cost more than the GameCube the graphics definately aren't as good as a GameCube.I am thinking it is just the fact that DS is just a small system,whoopidy doo da.If you like squinting your eyes and looking at old graphics then a handheld system is for you,but if you like graphics go with a hell of lot powerfull console system.I also think Hogmyster that the PS2 is the best and you stated that they let every developer get there hands on it.I am glad they do I can name more games I like on PS2 than any other system out,why I like there games is simple.I can agree with Sony for going with anyone to produce a game,the games they make normally are original,and try not to make sequals to already played games.Nintendo makes there games original,but then make too many sequals wearing them out.The Sony PSP I don't care to have either also,although I do like Sony I don't really care for handheld if the graphics are not there.I think graphics are important to a game system,not how small it is and the fact that you can carry it.I played pikmin and I didn't like it.I think the peeps that made the Mario games that made this,screwed it up in my oppinion.The game gets old too fast,I couldn't stand playing it more than a couple minutes.I don't know to be honest I am losing my interest in the GameCube though,because there is no news or anything about it.It is kinda funny though how the DS doesn't have anywhere near the graphics the PSP does.If I was in a debate between those two handhelds the PSP would be my choice,like I said before why would you buy another gameboy.The DS is just a gameboy with probably a little bit more improvement,not enough to tell the difference o_0 .

13. Hogmyster

Hogmyster Member

yeah but l-burna, you got to remember that the gameboy advance wasnt a huge leap from a gameboy color either.. but it still sold a LOT.. and i mean an ASSLOAD..

as for not liking GTA 3, i dont know.. i just think it got old quick (kinda like pikmin, i said it was good i didnt say it was awesome and replayable ;) ) ... and yeah, i dont think its a terrible thing that sony let the developers get all over the dev kit.. but i just think they should atleast show some standards that aren't 5 bucks ;) weird how BMX XXX on the ps2 didnt have boobies though (atleast thats what i've read, never played it on the ps2)

as far as you winning the argument uhm so microsoft took part in the development of the graphics adapter to the thing, but they didnt develop everything.. thats like john carmack taking credit for developing opengl or directx because he along with others are a major factor in what gets added to directx and opengl...

and do you see microsoft developing the processor for it? no not really. and like i said, the pocketpc isnt much other than other companies hardware running a microsoft operating system.. which isnt that what an xbox is?

and you still lost the arguement when you said "handheld consoles" ...

oh back to l-burna, the halo 2 thing, i liked halo, but i didnt like it enough to buy the sequel.. i've heard good things :) i'm a believer shooters should be left to computers, unless they're those shooters in the arcades then they stay in arcades (you know the ones where they have the cool guns! :) )

i have nothing against sony or microsoft (i dont really like microsoft being in the console market but hey they're not doin too shabby hehe).. i just am an old school console fan :) oh and i dont believe graphics make a gaming system or games.. they help but in the end its how the game is played...

i'm just wondering how the gamecube modchip is going to happen anytime soon :-/ i knew it wouldnt be easy when i first heard the specs on the cubes hardware and then when they released it i KNEW it wasnt ganna be easy.. but damn this is taking forever! :) superted any news?

14. Nato9

Nato9 Member

the xbox chip is a geforce 3 with an extra TMU :p

which is why I said basically like a geforce 4 on a PC. :p

15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah I gotcha Hogmyster I can understand there are peeps that are old school gamers.I agree with you Hogmyster on the gameboy advance,it sold a bunch and why it did I have no clue.I am not a big fan on the handhelds to be honest because of the graphics man,and I still like gameplay.If a game doesn't have smooth and catchy gameplay then I probably don't play it.I believe you on the Nintendo DS although it probably won't be much different.I bet there will be people buying it just for that extra whatever they put in it.If you are into graphics then the PSP.The PSP is definately much more powerfull than the Nintendo handhelds you gotta give it credit for that man.The GTA thing was just playing man.I don't really care if you like it or not I was just messing with you man,because that is a game that I like.I aint gonna force you to play a game you don't like,so play whatever you like ;).I remember seeing the Zelda and Resident Evil 4 game dates to be released,but I forgot when it was.Sorry to change topic,but those games I wouldn't mind playing when they come out.

16. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Personally, I really don't like 3-D graphics, they look too polygony to me plus I have depth perseption issues. I play my GBA more than my Gamecube and PS2 combined. Gamecube took all of my favorite 2-D games and bastardized them into 3-D remakes that are awful in my opinion.

17. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

I'm with you Icemonkey. I'd trade everything for a new 3-D Game that has the same fun gameplay style of just about any of the original nintendos games. In my plethera of years playing console games it feels like the gameplay has been severly comprimised in trade for better graphics. No thanks! (although the marios and zelda's just keep getting better!"

18. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

There can never be a answer to what is better,since everybody has there own oppinion on games they like.The truth is 2D is still around,but pretty much rare to see anymore.The 3D graphics are alright,but judging with Nintendo's way of making them.I haven't played a game that was worth playing that was 3D.I can say a good 2D game that is good for GameCube was Ikaruga.I liked that game and it was 2D pretty much just a jet fighting game.The 2D and 3D issue is always gonna be around I think.I am not sure why there are more 3D games out,but 2D should still be used since it is nice.I still think graphics are good to have,but 2D and 3D can't really be decided by graphics.I have seen some 2D games that have had better graphics than 3D,and then again I have seen 3D have better graphics than some 2D games.I am a graphics person and gameplay person.I like gameplay,but graphics is a must for me.It should come with improvement I think,just my oppinion.If we keep the same graphics all the time,how are we ever gonna learn new techniques that make games.

19. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Not that I wanna ba a complete ass and all, but can we stay on topic?

The topic is "Theory on burning GC"

Update so far:
    Well..finally got the bootcode extracted (both Boot.bin and Bi2.bin)
    Now repack em burn it and try booting it.

20. Hogmyster

Hogmyster Member

i'm confused superted are you telling US to burn it? lol sorry, glad to see you're making some progress on the boot.bin and bi2.bin :)

good luck getting that repacked and burned! :)