1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory on burning GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Sep 21, 2004.

1. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Hey cut me some slack here!
    I'm working on a program that will read the image backwards.
    Seem that no program that allready out there can do that.
    Does anyone know if the sourcecode for GCTool is out there somewhere?
    I wanna see what they did to make it read a GC image

2. Jackass57

Jackass57 Guest

So you guys are saying I couldn't just put a GCN disk into my pc's dvd\cd burner's 8mm slot and use alcohol 120% to copy to harddrive? I mean, I have heard of the phantasy star online trick, and copying a GCN gamedisk to a pc harddrive thru the gamecube being attached to the comp, but I wonder if there's an easier way...?

Would these work for backups:

http://dvd-supply.com/mini-dvd-r-8cm-3in-1-4gb.html ?

Also, if anybody wants to sell their own GameCube, email me ( lordtigger2k@yahoo.com ), since i need one for any of this to actually be useful to me, of course...

email me with any other info u have... thanks a lot

3. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

No you can't read it in your PC dvd-drive or burner.

What I'm trying to do is create a program that will read an image backwards (so from the last to the first byte instead of first to last) and while it's reading it has to burn the bytes directly to a mini dvd-r.

But programming reverse reading sucks.
    SO that means I have no luck so far.

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I was thinking it wouldn't be that hard to do,but I don't know.I think all you do is reverse the code is all.If you have a dissasembler and a compiler for C/C++ that could work right.Although I also heard GameCube programming is on a different angle.It is not the same is what I heard.

5. kamaswami

kamaswami Member

can the pso exploit give you the bytes fast enough to burn them? i know when i rip games they fail 4 times out of 5. also even the ones that don't fail won't run but... that's not the topic.

also, you're reversing the bytes but is there anything to say that you shouldn't do a bitwise reversal? cause i would think if its truly reading in reverse that each bit would be on the disc in reverse order. but i dunno maybe the bits are in the same order in the bytes but the byte order on the disc is reversed.

reading that last paragraph it sounds confusing but i'm pretty sure at least superted will know what i'm getting at.

also, i haven't done much low level c/c++ programming but i have done some stuff with reading image files byte by byte so.... maybe i could help with something i dunno.

a little more programming never hurt, unless you count my grades.

6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

If this is true then why not build a burning program to emulate first before burning.It would make sense to actually play the files,before reading them making a better burn statistics.I don't think it is a bad idea to program anything for the gamecube,but if the intentions are there then it is possible.

7. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Does anyone know if the source is out there for the reliable NGC disc server?

That's a tool to rip, right?
    Cause if the source is out there, maybe I can something with that.

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey SuperTed see if you can decompile it first,that will give you the code to program it.The source code for programs normally comes from decompiling programs,and with this in mind you can then recompile it with more files.I think you would benefit from a dissasembler and a reassembler for C/C++ to be honest man.If you can,see if you can make a GC coding environment so you can continue alright man.Then you can find the source code from certain apps.I am also looking at a way to build a coders cable for the GC which was used for dreamcast,hopefully this will give access to the internal drive in the GC.

9. Mr69ways

Mr69ways Guest

Good question. Also does anyone know if there is a source available for PSOLoad

10. virall

virall Member

Well, I donno if this has been said but the GC reads the discs backwards o.o the discs are written backwards, it's going to take skill and talent to create a program to do what you are speaking... I'd give you... 1,000 dollars just cuz you did it o.o

11. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

Not much skill just reverse the 1's and 0's before you burn it.
    Oh Didn't I recall a while back someone had made a cable to connect the GC to their computer and they could access the Disc with a Linx OS? I seam to remember this like a while ago. almost 1 year or more. and I remember is cause the guy made a little gamecube Icon for the drive. but if you wanted any luck at gettign that barcode that would be where you would look. if you get that GC hooked up as a drive in Linx you most likely could read that barcode and port that over to windows in some way and start creating ISO's that you could burn. but you still have to reverse the data before you make it a ISO. If all this is done I doubt a modchip would be needed. well maybe one to send a false signal to the GC Opitical drive laser to tell the firmware the media is okay.

12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hmmm...so somebody has already made this cable right.I was wondering where did you find this information at man.I haven't seen anybody make a cable to access the gamecube yet.Anyways sounds logical,does sound like it would give access to grab the images from the GC end.The byte reading is in reverse like you said,but as for changing the 1's and 0's how would you go about that.I am learning as I go also,do you just take the end number which is 1 and put it in front of the code or something like that or 0 and put that in front of one of the codes.I have no clue how to go about reversing the bytes,could you possibly give a little more info on this.It would definately be appreciated not just from me,but from others looking at this as well.

13. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

What about this Linux thing?
    Does that make it possible to read the disc?
    cause if so, It wouldn't be to hard to make a one on one backup.
    Using something like a Network drive (in this case my dvd burner) the destenation drive.

There are several Linux burning progs that allow to make an image on the HD (the image will be read backward) and then burn it.

14. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

Thats kind of what I was thinking SuperTed. I'll see if I can find this guy and get some more info on that cable I think for some reason this project took a wrong turn some where. most likely because the guy had to use Linux to get into it. And you have to make all you own stuff on linux and not as much help. Or maybe he was getting pretty close and nintendo droped a intent to sue on him. I know alot of people are scared to do much on the GC scene because Nintendo has a good amount of law suits they are winning. But I can understand why there sales are alot less than the PS2 and the Xbox. And they don't like have other Items to make money of off. So even a 1% or less loss is expensive to nintendo. like the xbox and PS2 I then they loose any where from 1% to 3% due to pirates. Xbox might be more because how easy it is to hack.

15. Clete2

Clete2 Member

Nintendo loses the least out of anything due to piracy (mind you everything meaning computer software, it doesn't include food ;). I'll pirate your food! Hah, sure...), it just makes sense. There is hardly a way to load games, but there is. It's harder to find the games online than it is Xbox (quick check of a torrent site tells me this, not that I downloaded anything illegal). PC games' piracy is rampant. It's too easy, but I don't want them to make it harder, because I back up my games.

16. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Interestingly enough, I think Nintendo has lost more to piracy than any other game system producer today. Gamecube sales would probably be much higher if there were a way to make a working, bootable game disc backup.

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think it can't be done at the moment,because nobody that I have heard from has the barcode.That code is still blocking us from having a bootdisc right.It would still have to be pressed also,which can't be done with the tools we have as of now.It would have to come from a big company,and then Nintendo would turn around and sue them for doing it.That is what I think will happen if a boot disc was made.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  18. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

If that is true though using Linux and that cable that is mentioned,and gain access to the Cube in a different way rather than PSO & BBA method.I wonder why the person you mentioned stop Bizquick.I am also wondering the same thing like SuperTed.That person could have passed that down to another person to look at if the Linux was too much for em.The cable though,that is definately something to look at.

19. udlras

udlras Guest

So the problem with strieght game cube to dvd copying is that you cannot read the disc in a pc? Well i have a OPTORITE COMBO DC4801 [CD-ROM drive] (sorry for font but i got it from Belarc advisor). It recognises the disc as an unknown format but will not let me burn it. If there is a program that lets you burn on the fly without checking the data maybe this would work?

20. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

what? your DVD-Rom drive can read it?
    I tried several dvd-rom drives, but none could read them.
    Try using different software.
    Like BlindRead/Write.
    Don't forget to Uncheck the Data (or Jitter) correction.

If it works, let me know.

Although I find it hard to believe.