1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There is NOTHING else to try!

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by aaron2004, Nov 19, 2004.

1. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

Hi, I have a LITE-ON DVD ±R/±RW Burner, and I want to backup my games but i have tried everything that i could try...Something just is not working...I am using Memorex DVD+R's and I use swap discs and went to http://www.swapmagicfix.com and even tried to find a cdloader/dvdloader and there are none for driv3r! Driv3r backup and ALL backups i have made so far have been giving me trouble...when i put in the swap disc and swap it with the backup it gives me a red border...I mean i know i am a newbie at this stuff but i am really starting to lose patience...why..please someone help what am i doing wrong

2. Smorgan77

Smorgan77 Member

What version is your PS2? The older consoles (I don't know exactly which ones) don't have the ability to read DVD+R media. Try sticking in a DVD movie that you have burned to DVD+R media, if you can, and that will let you know if that is the reason. In that case, just find quality DVD-R media, and burn at 1x if possible.

3. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

it is a [bold]version 9[/bold] and i only used that type of dvd's and i havent had that much luck so far:(

4. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

I just can not figure it out...the movie works...games dont

5. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

I just can not figure it out...the movie works...games dont

6. DJfist

DJfist Guest

haha! You remind me of me when I first started this four months ago. First of all, use DVD-R not +R. +R won't work on certain PS2s and yours is probably one of them. Second of all, what burning program are you using? I've gotten the best results with Alchol 120 and Dvd decrypter in that order. Last but not least toss those memorex dvds. They're junk. If you live in the states, and you sound like you do, you should use Maxell DVD-R exclusively. I do and I haven't made one coaster yet. If you live in the UK, Ritek is supposed to be the best. Good Media goes a long way my man. I had to find that out the hard way. You follow my advice and you'll be burnin' like a pro. Good luck
    p.s. I have the same DVD writer that you do

7. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

lol well i finally figured out how to do it..but the stupid dvd backup game skips like a mofo...i didnt know how to use my flip top..ugh and now i FINALLY have it working, but it skips so i should just buy a good dvd-r(Maxell) and i will be in good shape, right?

8. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

well see i have trusted memorex for a long time now because their cd-r's are the best i have ever had

9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I've never had much luck with Maxell personally. I'd recommend Verbatim. If they're skipping + or - R isn't an issue it's more likely a media quality or burn speed problem. Try burning at 1x and see if your problem goes away. Note that +R's minimum burn speed is 2.4x though.

10. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

1.Memorex
    2.Maxell
    3.Verbatim

in that order is the way im trying lol maxell sounds good

11. DJfist

DJfist Guest

I hate to mention this part of my personal trials but when I reached the point where you are now: games play but they skip, I listened to every "expert" claim that my games were skipping because I wasn't using "Brand X" dvds. All due respect Icemonkey. Anyway after wasting tons of loot on different brands..they still skipped. I had to face the obvious and realize that my PS2 was on the outs. Now granted it worked fine with the originals, but the backups skipped. Some worse than others but they all did it. I bit the bullet and bought a brand new PS2. Guess what? They all worked fine. I gave my old PS2 to my little cousin. He just told me last week, as a matter of fact, that it died altogether. I'm not saying that this is definately the solution but its something to think about. However, if you think about it too long you're not gonna be able to buy the current model any more. You'll have to try your luck with the slim model which may or may not play backups depending on who you talk to. Bottom line is if they still skip with maxells you're ps2 is probably going bad.
    p.s. I have the same burner that you do and I always burn at max speed. 52 backups to date and they all work fine. I'm not claiming that the speed issue is irrelevent, I'm saying it was never a factor for me.

12. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Backups skipping are the result of either:
    1. Poor media being used.
    or
    2. A laser alignment issue.

Burn at a slow speed, stick with quality media ie Verbatim and you cant really go wrong =)
    If games still skip or freeze, your laser may need adjusting.

Heres a guide on how to fix this annoying problem:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars/1

13. viper900

viper900 Member

Will the game work if you burn at 4x? My DVD-Rs only burn at 4x...

14. Smorgan77

Smorgan77 Member

Well I have about 8 or 9 games burned to Memorex +R that play perfectly, with no skipping whatsoever. Then I switched to TDK DVD-R 2x media, burned the THird Age (which had audio skipping when I burned to memorex DVD+R at 2.3x) from the same exact image file, and it is perfect now. So it's either 1 of 3 things:

1) quality difference between Memorex media and TDK

2) difference between +R and -R media

3) My laser is out of alignment and just happens to play every other Memorex +R game fine, and now just happens to line up better with the TDK -R media for that game (this scenario seems unlikely to me, but I know nothing about the PS2 laser).

At this point I'm just going to keep the stuff I have on Mem +R media that works, but burn all future discs to either TDK or Verbatim DVD-R media at as slow as possible.

15. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

Ok, I think I still have not found the correct media to use to burn my games on..jeeeeez the maxell skip too! thank god i only got 3 of those

16. aaron2004

aaron2004 Guest

and also..i have a flip top cover mod...could this be the problem? would a soldering chip solve this problem?

17. Smorgan77

Smorgan77 Member

If this is the case, I'll just use the flip top til it dies, and buy a pre-mod.

18. cazer

cazer Regular member

aaron2004, its been sometime since ive been here but nothings changed. i have a fliptop and the only time i get a coaster is when i skrew up. they will tell you its the disk or the way you back it up or the program. well they are right and they are wrong. its all up to your ps2. i found that ine reads -r and +r of dvdrs ranging from the so called good ones to the cheap ones. so for me i us dvd decrypter for both read and write and use the cheap disks. but that does not work for my friend who was the same ps2 as i do. so all i call say is to keep looking for the right setup that works for you. its all about trail and error. try new and old programs to read and burn with and differt disks tell you find a combo that works with your ps2. what works for one person may not work for another. good luck