1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There should be a media FAQ

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by prpl_haZe, Mar 3, 2005.

1. prpl_haZe

prpl_haZe Member

I need a crash course in what descriptors are used to identify different DVD media. I've seen media codes, and long numerical strings out of Nero which identify the media, and I've seen words like G04, and G05 used along with the usual 8X rated DVD+R, or 16X rated DVR-R (or any combination of those factors).

How the hell is someone supposed to know what they are buying if the brand, type, and speed rating don't mean anything?

I was about to buy these discs:
    http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-r-media-branded1.html

But then I read a few folks bad experiences with meritline switching up media and I cannot figure out if I order those what I will be getting.

I thought it was as "simple" as ordering
    [Ritek Ridata G04 DVD-R 4X speed rated] media, but I guess it isn't, so what else can I do to be sure I'm buying the right thing without getting a PHD in DVD media???

Thanks y'all
    -haZe

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Stick to brand name media and be very wary of unbranded media with no markings on the surface to identify the maker unless you buy from a really reputable dealer. People have reported buying what they believed to be Taiyo Yuden which turned out to be very suspect. Meritline is an iffy dealer. I like Newegg, and Supermediastore is also reputable. Right now, you can buy 100-pack of Fuji 8X DVD+R (make sure they are Made in Japan) from Best Buy for $40. And those are reported to be Taiyo Yuden. Otherwise, stick to BRANDED (that means with markings on the face too to identify the maker) like Fuji, Ridata, TDK, Sony, Maxell, etc. until you get a handle on who makes what for whom. It' still trial and error because dealers are changing manufacturers left and right. BTW, if you're not in any hurry, you should be able to pick up Ritek Ridatas for under 30 cents a piece when they go on sale at Newegg.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo haze, that's why I buy the majority of my media at local stores when they are on sale. Staple's currently have the sony +1x-8x media on sale:$20 for spindles of 50. I have used the japanese and taiwanese +1x-8x and both performed at 100%,the ones made in japan are made by taiyo yuden,coded yuden000-t02. Just look at those wrappers. Be cautious on the sony 1-4x and 4x.Some of these are made in austria.

Maxell's are among my favorites, They use very fine manufacturers among all their media. Mfgs like ty/hitachi/maxell/ritek-g04/and ricohjpn. Very safe brand no matter which format or spindle/pack size you get.

Or you can stick with genuine ty's,but there are fakes out there.

4. prpl_haZe

prpl_haZe Member

Thanks guys, that does help. I just wanted to get something reliable, but these DVD-R Verbatims I started with seem to work just fine. I didnt have to buy them though.

I'll check out NewEgg and look for the Ritek Ridatas, and wait for the sale, but feel free to link me to the product page so Im sure it's the right one.

Alternatively, I can live with a recommendation to head to Staples, that's surely convenient.
    Later fellas.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Staple's have the sony +/- 1x-8x on sale: spindle of 25 for $9.94. Look for the ones made in japan,they should be better. I haven't had a single problem with the +1x-8x made in taiwan,still pretty good. Later

6. btitus

btitus Regular member

Office Depot has a sale on Maxell's: 25 pk spindle for 9.99