1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermal Grease question?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rob13, Apr 24, 2007.

1. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Hi, I've got a Intel P4 550 3.40ghz 800mhz 1mb socket 775 CPU on the way and just need to know if I need to just Place a
    or need to put a
    Can someone please help... much appreciated...

thanks, Rob

2. rob13

rob13 Regular member

REVISED:

Hi, I've got a Intel P4 550 3.40ghz 800mhz 1mb socket 775 CPU on the way and just need to know if I need to just Place a Dab in the Center of the CPU or need to put a Thin layer over the whole top? Can someone please help... much appreciated...

thanks, Rob

3. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

You should place a dab in the middle,not too much and not too little, because when you will place the heat sink and press it,it will spread all over the surface and cover it.But if you cover the whole surface with thermal grease and then place the heat sink,some excess thermal grease will get out and get everywhere around and that's not good.

Vincent.

4. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Okay thanks, what's the differnece between a Heatspeaded CPU and a CPU that's not?

5. trickyto

trickyto Member

Put a tiny dab in the middle of the cpu, then spread it evenly across the whole surface of the CPU.

The easiest way is to use a plastic bag over your finger to spread it. It only needs to be a tiny amount of thermal paste, and spread very thinly, but thick enough to not see any metal.

Use as little as possible, it only needs to fill the microscopic ridges between the metal surface of the CPU and the heatsink.

I don't know what you mean about a heatspreaded CPU sorry :(

6. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Do you have do the same thing for AMD Prcoessors or is it just the same as Intels?

7. trickyto

trickyto Member

Yes it's the same for all processors.

To be honest, both methods will work. I always spread it though and have never had any problem.

Just be careful to use very little and not let it get anywhere except on the top of the CPU.

8. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

About the heat-spreaded cpu and the non one,i think you might get an idea if you use google to make a search,i just had a look but it sounds too technical for me that i got lost myself.Google is your friend,know how to use it and you'll see how much it can answer all your questions:)

Vincent.