1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

These Memorex DVD+RW's want me to upgrade my firmware! Please advise. :/

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gothor, Dec 5, 2004.

1. gothor

gothor Guest

This is a new one. I bought some 8X Memorex DVD-RW's at K-Mart. I only have a 4X DVD-RW drive, but I've always been able to burn 32x speed CDs on a slower speed CD-R burner without any problem.

Unfortunately, times have changed, because *after* I open the package, I see a little note happily informing me that I need to upgrade my firmware... something I've always been told is extremely risky and voids my warranty.

What a crock!

I went to www.dvdrwservices.com like Memorex said and looked for a firmware upgrade for my "_NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A" drive. I found a firmware upgrade on NEC's site (linked from dvdrwservices.com), but the readme.txt said it would not work for OEM drives found in Dell systems, which I have.

Am I out of luck? I *know* Dell won't be any help on this one. They have better things to do than come up with firmware upgrades, like outsourcing half their tech support to India. My only hope is that someone here encountered the same problem and can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,

(P.S. I tried burning a movie onto one of the discs, just to see, and the result was a stuttering mess. Blarg.)

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I don't think updating the firmware is that big of a risk. True, most times you upgrade, you can't downgrade to previous versions. But I have upgraded the firmware in my Pioneer DVD-106 drive and Pioneer DVR-105 DVD burner, and never had a problem with either. My suggestion would be to try and find some reviews of the firmware upgrade. I don't understand why it wouldn't work for the OEM version of the drive. Its the same damn thing. OEM usually means you get the bare drive, not the box, manual, parts, and all that junk. Its up to you, but if it were me I would, but I would definately do some research on the upgrade version before proceeding. If not, than hopefully you didn't buy a 100 pack of the 8x DVDRs. If so, well, there's always ebay.

3. gothor

gothor Guest

Firmwareupdate ND-1100A - Important Information:

[snip]

-this Update works only with NEC ND-1100A (retail&bulk), not with OEM releases.
    (OEM means part of a full PC package or external USB/FireWire variant of this burner)
    For OEM products contact your dealer, distributior or manufacturer of PC package.
    [e.g. OEM pc packages were Dell, Fujitsu Siemens, HP, Medion, Vobis, Freecom, Storquest]

....so, I dunno. I mean, normally I'd just give it the ol' try, but I'm afraid I'll kill my DVD drive. Stupidy firmware.

Also: I checked out Dell's support page and they *do* have a firmware upgrade -- from April, 2003. And it mentions only 2.4/4x speed. :/

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

have you tried calling Dell and seeing if they have any new firmware updates? If not, then I guess you're SOL. Bummer dude...