1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think I need to change brands, advice please (UK)!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by richks, Feb 15, 2005.

1. richks

richks Member

Hi,

I live in the UK. I have a Pioneer 107D and I've been using Ritek printable x4 DVD+Rs that I get from dvdandmedia.co.uk The first batch I had from them were great, worked 100%, no missburns and all readable in all my devices. I back up my movies, XBox and PS2 stuff, as well as shunting big old files to DVD as plain data, to be read in PCs. I bought another batch from the same source and, well, so far I've had about 4 "power calibration" errors from the first 30 disk. My friend has had a similar faiure rate from her half of the delivery (using the TEAC something-or-other burner that came with her DELL PC).

Needless to say I'm not too keen to buy the same stuff again and I keep hearing about the pitfalls of dodgy media etc.

I only buy DVD+Rs because they were thought of to be "better" some time back when I first looked into this whole thing. There appears to be more choice of DVD-R media, should I stick doggedly to +s or does it not make that much odds for what I do?

Where can I buy decent media for a good price in the UK? Spindle, preferably inkjet printable but really not that important (I still have a bunch of these Riteks which are printable and don't print disks that often, but it's nice to have some around if they're not much more expensive). I want to be able to buy cheapish 50 spindles with low postage. I can buy 100 spindles, but that'll mean a lot of them sitting around for ages, not a disaster but my flat's kinda a mess already.

Any advice/URLs appreciated!

Cheers,

Rich

2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

3. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Yeah, I've been down the cheap and occasionally dodgy Ritek road myself.

Peace of mind does not come cheap, if you want excellent burns every time, no question, buy Taiyo Yuden. I get mine from these guys in the UK

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Show_me_all_the_DVD_R.html

Packs of 100, 60p a disk inkjet printable, 50p plain.

And remember, with TY you,ll probably still be able to play the disks you burn today in five years time.

4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

TY do not neccessary = perfect burns
    I know quite a few ppl who have been burnt and ended up with media, sold as TY, with fake TY codes. Make sure you buy from someone you trust, and if it sounds too good to be true it probably is

5. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I've bought 100's of TYs from the url above, all genuine, not one coaster, and the KProbe tests are always extremely impressive.

Even the rip-off merchants must think TY's are the best if it's their MID codes the use for their fakes.

But, as Deadcat says, the genuine article is not cheap.

6. p5yco

p5yco Guest

yeah,been using verbatims for ages now and have yet to have any problems with them.

7. richks

richks Member

So basically you are saying that there's no reason to stick with DVD+Rs above DVD-Rs? Just get a good brand and it'll all be OK?

Sounds good to me.

8. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

I'm with safc_66,
    I had been using ritek ridisc and various other ritek discs but they were so unpredictable,Been using anv 8X dvd-r for about three months now,Not a coaster.

9. ricster

ricster Regular member

I've bought TY's from SVP (blankdiscshop.co.uk) too. They burn fine...as did almost 100% of my old Ritek G04's. The only reason I decided to change was that I wanted to store some precious photos and video footage and figured this was the best option.

10. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

All the Ridisc's i've used previously, the 4X & 8X-r's were fine when they had the Ritek G04/5 code, it's just since they changed to the MCC code that they've became unusable for me, crapped out big style at 6X, failure margin became enormous. Try the ANV's if you want, Rich, i'm sure you won't be disappointed. Oh, and personally, i find -R's to be more compatible than +R's.

Dene

11. Gringle

Gringle Guest

I don't live to far away from this place, [about ten miles away] It has a good sales counter, always busy, and I've had no problems whatsoever with the quality.
    http://www.rambox.co.uk/

regards gringle

12. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Hi, i have a big problem have just bought 100 printable Taiyo Yuden dvd-r of svp.co.uk (the blank disc shop) and on my first 3 burns 2 just failed and the other worked but stuttered every 2 seconds.
    WHATS HAPPENING i spend £60 on 100 dvd-rs and on the first 3 they DONT WORK! HELP! WHY IS THIS!

13. ricster

ricster Regular member

When you say 'failed', does that mean the burn process aborted or that the disk just wouldn't play ?

14. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Swenyb, I've burned 100's of -R TY's from SVP, never a coaster yet, so I'm keen to see if they've suddenly gone bad......

Have you checked the MID code on the disks, and is it TYG02?

What are you burning to them?

Have you successfully burned this data to another brand of DVDR on your setup since you experienced the TY problem?

What hardware and software are you using to burn the disks, and at what speed?

Did burning at reduced speed improve matters?

Sorry to quiz you like this, but I rely on these disks myself.

15. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

The only code i can see reads GG000102
    I am burning a dvd movie (Hellboy) and have successfully burned it to a non-printable dvd
    i burned it at 1x on all 3 different times i tried burning the first using dvd shrink the second dvd decrpter followed by clone dvd and finally dvd xpress hope this helps and what happened was on dvd shrink the dvd burned succesfully but then stuttered all the way through and the other 2 clone dvd and dvd xpress stopped burning and said that there was an error with the media

16. ricster

ricster Regular member

I think that's the batch code. Are you reading that off the disc itself ? You need to run a blank through something like DVD Identifier to find the media code.

17. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Hmmm, you should not have any content related problems with that title, and since you have successfully burned the files to another brand of media, this does sound worrying.

You say that you burned at 1x, the slowest a lot of modern burners will allow for 8X media is 2.4x, what model of burner are you using? perhaps this is a firmware issue.

You could try DVD decrypter then Shrink to files and then burn with the latest version of Nero. I have actually used this route with Hellboy myself, on what should be identical TY's bought from SVP.

18. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

ive allready began the refund with svp, but considering i took the exact same actions to burn the disc as i did with the successfull burn i cant really see what the problem is, im going to give svps verbatims a go

19. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Also my dvd writer is a liteon SOHC-5232KX and i havent found any firmware updates for it

20. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Swenyb, the Liteon SOHC-5232KX is listed as an external USB Combo drive, so it should not be able to write to DVD-R at all, just to CD media, although it will read all flavours of DVD.

As you say that you have had a successful non-TY DVD-R burn. I suspect you may have got the model number wrong, on the other hand, if you have somehow persuaded this drive to burn to DVD (is this possible?), it may explain your lack of success with the TY's.