1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about buying a 360, i have some questions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by MadDemon, Apr 29, 2007.

1. MadDemon

MadDemon Guest

Hello, im thinking about buying the xbox premium, but i havent bought it yet it cuz i read some time ago that the xbox scratches the disks, it overheats, and theres some lag on live, i think i read somewhere that the "scratching disk" problem was fixed but im not sure, maybe u guys can tell me if they really fixed it, theres also some rumors that the xbox will have the 65nm chip, when is that going to happen? and does live have any lag at all? thx

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

lag on live all depends on your internet connection or the host's connection, the console itself doesn't cause lag, 360 is a very powerful machine. second, i have never even heard of it scratching discs, and i am pretty sure all the over heating issues have solved, i am sure there is some happening, but the only systems i here of the 3 red lights bullshit is the older hitachis, but you should be good to purchase one now. especially with the release of the elite version.

3. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

I had a premium from launch and now an elite. The problem systems stem from user malfunction. Stuffing your 360 in a cabinet and letting it cook with a reciever and cable box on for a few hours is just stupid.

4. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

I have the premium one with the hitachi 47DJ drive and the manufacturing date is November 2005.It plays fine without scratching my discs and never get any problem,the only thing i do is i put it in a well ventilated area.You should never move the console while it's playing,that's what can cause your discs to scratch.

Vincent.

5. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

are you takin the mick or what?????????

i can assure you mate you couldn't be more wrong if someone paid you to be.

the main problem is crappy solder inside the box that after heating and cooling (ie; swelling and contracting) alot starts to crack.
    to claim that that is "user malfunction" is absolute madness and just shows that you have no clue what your on about.

6. killalot

killalot Active member

He might be wrong saying its user malfunction but its valid point Stuffing your 360 in a cabinet and letting it cook with a receiver and cable box on for a few hours any thing electrical generates heat my DVD player after a wile always use to skip wile watching a DVD use to pee me of one day I put my hand on it the f-in thing was red hot so I moved it and took the satellite box off it now plays fine so it’s a good point not necessary the reason why they Fu—up

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

A little extreme, don't you think? And I must say... 99% of the members here will agree with TY that stuffing the 360 into a small space with no ventilation will lead to an early grave for it. Doing so just amplifies the affect of the heating and cooling to the mobo.

So yes, like you said, the heating and cooling is the problem, and YES, stuffing the 360 into a non ventilated is also a problem. And by doing so that makes it an "user error". The board is designed bad, but your comment towards TY is irrational.

8. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

MS has incorporated small rubber pads around the lens to stop the disc from hitting it.

Right now the 360 is using a 90nm (I believe) chip. Switching to the 65nm is suppose to lower production costs and also help reduce some of the heat the 360 produces.

As for lag, this is due to the users internet connection, not the 360.

9. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

10. killalot

killalot Active member

That’s the problem this day and age they say its good to talk but no F- listens and gives constructive criticism just has a pop if some one makes maybe a missed judged opinion
    Only glad the majority of people on here do give constructive help

11. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

what is taking a mick?

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

13. mufaa

mufaa Regular member

Yea, read that. People are going to be soo pissed. Why cldn't have MS delayed the launch of Elite and packed it with the smaller GPU? Why such a rush? Now all those who bought new premiums and Elites are booted again.

MS is screwing people. But can't blame em. Money rules this world.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  14. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

ok ok ...i can see that i'm gonna have to justify myself a bit here.

not sure where to start so i will just list my problems with burnasty,s post as i see them

1 "The problem systems stem from user malfunction"

a) since when did poor build qaulity become user malfunctin?

b) to tell all the people here that have handed over there hard earned cash (£370 uk sterling) for a launch console just for it to die a few months later (that inculdes me) that it is there own fault is nothing short of a slap in the face to us all in imo

c) where did he even get this from? i honestly don't even think bill gates has tried to claim this one yet. anybody who has done the slightest bit of research on the problems with xbox consoles would know what the problem was. m$ even put there hands up to it and are repairing launch consoles (up to a certain mfn date) for free, warrenty or not.now would they be doing that if was even slightly down to user error??
    i think not.

d)if he had started with 'in my opinion' or 'i think' or even 'i heard somewhere' then it would have been fine but to put acrcoss bad info like that as plain facts is just wrong. lets say that maddemon (who asked in the first place) reads that post and decides to just buy a used console so he has a bit more money for games and maybe that streering wheel he has had his eye on, so he buys a console believeing that so long as he keeps it away from his other electrical stuff it will be just fine.well i don't think he is gonna be to pleased when a few weeks later it is dead on its butt do you?

ok now......

2) "Stuffing your 360 in a cabinet and letting it cook with a reciever and cable box on for a few hours is just stupid"

a) i don't know a single person who "stuffed" there 360 anywhere. but i don't see how you can call people stupid for placing a tv games console beside there tv eqiupment.just wherelse are they supposed to put the thing, in fact i beleive this was the very least people should have been able to do with it. you can't call microsofts inabilty to build a decent console stupidity by those who bought one.

b) i don,t like being called "stupid" by someone who clearly doesn't understand the problem.

now having said all that i promise it was not my intention to wind any body up (which i seem to have done) and i am sorry for that. next time i will try to count to 10 before i respond ok.

now to defend my own post

"i can assure you mate you couldn't be more wrong if someone paid you to be"

yep.......that's still about right.

"the main problem is crappy solder inside the box that after heating and cooling (ie; swelling and contracting) alot starts to crack.
    to claim that that is "user malfunction" is absolute madness"

i honestly don't know what else to call it!

"and just shows that you have no clue what your on about"

if he had the faintest idea what he was taking about then he would not be blaming all the broken boxes on the people who bought them because he would now what the real problem was. if he already knew that it was down to bad solder then why not say so.

so with all that said im afriad i dont see what is "irrational" or "extreme" about it

the only thing i see here that i would call irrational is people trying to defend someone for posting rubbish.

so guys ,i stand my post 100%

by best to you all

15. killalot

killalot Active member

Yes the lad was wrong, ill informed, worded it wrong, but it was a good point about not letting it get too hot unnecessary might extend the life of it abit longer before it goes tits up we all know its down to poor cheap shite solder doesn’t mean to have a pop at someone just because his views are wrong that’s why we are all here to learn of other people and share our opinion’s in a friendly manner, Not your talking rubbish, are you taking the Mick, and your posting rubbish …LOL… bye…

16. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

I didn't try to insult you. I said the action was stupid not the person. I had a launch 360 until the elite came out and never had issues with either, nor have any of my friends that got their launch 360's. My componants sit on a glass stand free of an enclosure with open ventilation. If you go to other forums where people discuss 360's a bit more you will see that a large percentage of users did infact put their systems in closed cabinets that had little to no air circulation. That is where my statement came from. I am sorry you had a faulty system. I never attacked you though.

17. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

i felt insulted by your coments as i personally wouldn't dream of puting my 360 inside a cabinet (although i would be more worried about what the heat coming from the console would do to my other eqiupment rather than the other way round. mine sites 15 inches away from anything that would obstruct airflow or that generates heat) but that didn't stop the dreading 3 rings of doom killing it a month ago (less than 300 hours of play time so thats more than a pound per hour)so i then had to buy a replacment which i'm still stinging from abit so to then be told that it was my user error when we all now what is really at fault and the fact that it didn't really answer maddemons question who i felt didn't know about the bad solder (why else would be askin') was a bit more than i could take.

like i said m8 i will try and count to 10 next time.

now i'm sure if we both agree to more usefull in futer posts
    then im sure we can all play nice ...........sound good to you m8?