1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking about switching to AMD, need suggestions

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by dragnandy, Feb 2, 2008.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

at first, i was planning on getting a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L with 3.0ghz intel core 2 duo, but now im seeing that AMD is alot cheaper. does AMD have just as good cpu's as intel? i know there are long discussions about which is better, but whats really the difference? besides the motherboard and such.

and if im going to convert to AMD, which cpu with be equivalent to the intel core 2 duo 3.0ghz? browsing newegg, i caught my eye on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz, which is like 70USD cheaper than a 3.0ghz intel. i know that AMD is cheaper than intel, but i didnt know it was that cheap.

then i checked out its motherboard, and those seem cheaper, too. and i need suggestions about what is a good AMD motherboard, but im unsure if im going to overclock.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

The Intel CPUs are way ahead of AMD cpus. The architecture of Intel's are far superior to AMD's, and therefore Intel has products that perform faster.

To answer your question, the 6400+ is about the equivalent, but know that an Intel C2D would beat it in almost every bench test.

3. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

and if you want to save money, get Intel, lower power usage and faster

4. mangpepe

mangpepe Regular member

If you want pure speed, then go with the Intel without any doubt. If you want value, go with the AMD. if you would like amd. there is one that match the core 2 processors of Intel's architecture. The Phenom x4 9600 its 20% more cheaper than Intel's core 2 cpu's. but i said if you're trying to look by the speed choose intel, way better than AMD's latest CPU's.

5. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i guess ill stick to intels then. thanks.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The E2100 series are also fantastic CPUs on a budget. They outpace the midrange Athlon X2s stock and overclock like nothing else out there...

8. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

well comparing with an athlon x2 and C2D, in 3.0ghz the athlon is like 160 USD, while the intel is like 230. which is 70 USD difference. youd you guys still suggest to get intel?

also, will theese processor's prices go down in a few months? i dont plan on getting this thing built till like may or june. will video cards also go down? (i planned to get an HD 3870)

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Dude are you even reading what I posted? The E8400 is 213 not 230.

Anyway if you're going to be building in May then buy in May. This is not a good time to build a computer anyway, you want to wait till at least mid-march. Who knows, with the new Quad Cores coming out the Prices might fall for the E8400.

Anyway since it's just short supply that is keeping prices down, when those problems get sorted out you are looking at a E8400 at 189 dollars.

As for me, well I can't wait for the Q9450!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, the Athlons have been out a while, the newest Core 2 Duos are still rare as rocking horse poop, so expect elevated prices.
    The HD3870 may potentially drop in price, but probably not by a great deal. After all, it's an upper-midrange product, not a trendsetter, so when something new comes out, it's price won't suddenly plummet.

11. cybrspwn

cybrspwn Member

well a q6600 is all u need and there around $250-$300 atm and its four cores 2.6ghz fsb of 1066. remember games don't use cpu that much its now all about the ram and graphics card because its used to load textures and stuff and AMD's don't shut down when they heat up so they just slow ur pc down dramatically and keep on heating up unlike Intel thats all i can remember 4 now i forgot the rest if there was anything else

btw i don't think i hav good puncuation

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think you've got that the wrong way round. AMDs shut down at a certain temperature, whereas Intel CPUs used to drop their speed massively to counter the increased temps. Not sure if they still do it though.

13. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

hey i was wondering, at newegg, how come the price of the q6600 and the q6700 are so different? like twice as much.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's faster and aimed at a more enthusiast market. It's like a half extreme edition CPU.

Also it comes with a glitter lamp, an INTEL glitter lamp. That makes the extra 250 totally worth it.

15. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

if i chose a q6600, how much can i overclock it too if i have a 520 watt psu and 3gb ram?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

On what motherboard and cooling?

I'm getting mine in soon so I can give you first hand experience.

17. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L or R not sure yet.
    Freezer 7 Pro fan
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Cool, that's the exact same stuff I have.

If you want to wait and see what I get with the same parts you are welcome to. I plan on trying to hit 3.6Ghz, but 3.0-3.2Ghz should be easy.

To get to 3.6Ghz I'm going to lap my heatsink for better cooling.

19. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

oh sweet. i was surprised that it would be overclocked to 3.0ghz. cool! please get back when you try to OC it and see how far you get. thanks!

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Alright, just to let you know I have the GA-P35-DS3R, which does overclock better than the l version.

I paid for it today so I'm expecting it by Friday-ish.