1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking about updating

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by ZenDuo, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ZenDuo

ZenDuo Guest

i've been away from the psp thing for awhile. i have two phat psp's with 3.40 oe-a. my main one has a custom theme installed. i also use irshell on it. mainly for the usbhost, and nethost functions. i have not yet set up a gigstick. i have a battery set aside as well as a 1 gig stick. after some reading on the forum i'm not sure if the 1 gig stick is compatible for use. the 2nd psp is the wifes and does not have any custom themes. hers is mainly used for a few homebrews a couple of iso's and watching movies. i'm not concerned with updating hers. the main reason i want to update mine is because i'm running across a few of the newer games that don't function on 3.40 oe-a

my main questions are these

1. is a 1 gig stick acceptable to make as a gigstick?
    2. what is the simplest way to update my 3.40oe-a to the latest cfw?(not looking for the how too's just if i should do it with the gigstick after i create it or a different way.)
    3. is the newest irshell compatible with the newest cfw?
    4. with the custom themes installed is there any precautions i should take before updating?
    5. i know alot of people still run 3.40oe-a, with that in mind is updating worth it?

i welcome advise about this. if you think there is something i should be aware of that i didn't think to ask please let me know.

thanks
    ZenDuo

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

first off, i think it's awesome that you and your wife have psp's, let alone custom firmware psp's.

1. a 1gig is fine. anything withing 128mb to 2gig is fine.

2. the simplest way to get to the latest custom firmware is with the universal unbricker v3. it put you straight to 3.71 m33-2. you can find instructions HERE. you will also need the 1.50 kernel patch v2 found HERE

3. as far as i know, iRshell is working on 3.71 m33-2.

4. yes, switch your theme to original. also, you'll need to get the themes remade for 3.71 m33 firmware.

5. it is worth updating because the game compatability has gone up, for psp and psx games.

because you have a separate battery and memory stick set aside, you should keep the universal unbricker on them. in the event a brick happens, you'll be able to get back with no problems. also, it works with the new psp slim.

3. ZenDuo

ZenDuo Guest

thanks man. i got pandora up and running and now have 3.71 m33-2 on my psp. i'm off to find the newest ir shell and a theme for my psp.

thanks again.
    zenduo

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

no probs. don't forget the 1.50 kernel patch. you'll need it for some homebrews.

go to dl.qj.net. you should be able to find the latest iRshell there, and other homebrews for the psp.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You can install PTF themes in the /PSP/THEME folder. Then just enable them in THEME settings on the XMB.

If your going to flash a theme to flash0 then flashing and backing up flash0 themes for 3.71 M33-2 are different from 3.40 OE-A.

HERE is the proper way to backup your flash0 files. You will also have to follow these steps when installing a custom theme for 3.71 M33. Make sure it is 3.71 M33 compatible.

HERE is the newest version of IR Shell.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  6. ZenDuo

ZenDuo Guest

i got irshell up and running. i'll play around with the settings later. on 3.40 oe-a i had a really sweet tranformers theme with custom icons, sounds, and fonts. i'm hoping to find an equal. creating a THEMES folder seems alot easier than changing the flash 0
    files. on 3.40 oe-a i had to clear out some stuff to have the custom themes. does a person have to do the same with the new cfw or does it have plenty of room in the flash 0?