1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of buying a new computer..

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Alfx, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Alfx

Alfx Member

I bought my computer like a year and a half ago(a bit more than that).

I am totally unable to play any of the new games.(unless I play in 600X400, with all the lowest settings..and still getting 17fps.)

If I spent about 1000$ on a computer, would it be able to play new games in medium/high?

Im really sick of playing games in lowest quality.

2. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

Read up on the system requirements for the games you want to play. Note the most demanding game. Check out computers in your price range and that will tell you what games you can play on what you can afford.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Many new systems have integrated graphics which is about as bad as it gets. If you purchase another computer be certain that it has a dedicated graphics solution.

Your best bet would be to find a reputable builder and give them your specs so that they can build it to meet your needs. Even better, build it yourself. There will be a learning curve to jump, but once you've built a system you will never go back to store bought rigs and you will be your own warranty service.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Build your own computer. If you buy a computer from a big box retailer, it will have a crap graphics card and a crap PSU. When you will upgrade the graphics card, you will have to upgrade the PSU so it ends up costing a lot more.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In short, not just any old unit, it has to be a good one. Typically prebuilt units use very poor quality parts. This also goes for Ibuypower, Cyberpower and the seeming "gamer" brands. Overall, if you can build a PC yourself you'll fare much better.

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

so yes build your own computer

btw do you need help?

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The OP never posted again, I think this thread is pretty much dead.

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Dell Inspiron 530
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Service Pack 1- I know that most everyone is down on Vista For gaming Puropses ! I'm not too thrilled with the idea of it myself ! But I'm Thinking of Getting the above mentioned Desktop Configuration to replace My aging Emachines W2040 Xp Box ! I like Xp fine ! I use my computer for web surfing , Emailing , Chatting , Online ordering . Playing Tumblebug and Backing up my DVD collection with a little Photo-shopping thrown in the mix ! I've Added a 500gb slave Drive to my W2040 1GB of memory &2 Dvd Burners A BenQ and a NEC -3500 . I also had to replace the motherboard & PSU a while back as they went Kaphlooey !!!!!!! So My Repair/computer tech tells me that my Restore disc /for the W2040 is no longer usable do To The Motherboard being replaced not being The Emachines Replacement ! So Should my C Drive Die I would have to buy a new copy of Windows XP or Perhaps XP pro ? I'm Toying with the idea of Just Buying a New Copy of windows Xp/Xp-Pro? and a Bigger new Hard drive ( Current one is only 40Gb )and Just doing a Clean Install and going on from their ! Also The dell has a Sata drive atleast for the HDD so The DVD Burner is probably Sata as well which means that I'll have to replace my Dvd burners in the new Dell as my Nec & Benq Are'nt Sata Drives !!! Or Put them both in Usb Enclosures and Have them as externals ? I also would'nt be able to Transfer My 500Gb seagate to the new dell as it isn't a Sata Drive either But that's a minor issue ! Okay Now that I've bored you to tears anY recommendations ? Thanks And Good day !!!

9. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol, great help but, like abuzar1 said the OP dissapeared...this thread is officially dead! RIP

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rather than dust off this old thread - post this in the official PC building thread.