1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ephone73, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ephone73

ephone73 Member

I get the Maddog external 16X 7 in 1 dvd writer. However, it only burn CD-R but not DVD-R even after I flash with the latest 1.f3 firmware for that device. The model is: MD-16XDVD9A2. So I return it and get exchanged for another one. I thought they are the same. However, when I get home, I found out that it is a little bit different. The replaced one is not even recognized by the system. I use windows XP professional SP2.

I check device manager and find the model is really: MD-06XDVD8A2. I call maddog and they told me they are almost the same except the rewrite speed is different. But my laptop just does not recognize it. However, my IBM T-42 does recognized all other USB device.

There is a yellow exclamation mark besides its maddog label under DVD/CD-ROM drives as: M@D DNG MD-06XDVD8A2 USB Device and I think the computer listed it also as USB mass storage device.

when I right click the property, it gives me: This device cannot start. (Code 10).

Please help. What could be wrong???

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-r for advanced users*

3. flip218

You try unistalling the drive, reboot and let your O/S reinstall it?

And your said the drive works w/ your IBM T-42?

4. ephone73

ephone73 Member

I did try to uninstall it and reinstall it from device manager. It does not work. It seems that the system thinks it is a USB storage. Moreover, It does not work on my IBM T-42 (I flash the previous DVD writer to the latest firmware using this T-42. Since it does not work, I return it and replace with the same model (I thought it is the same, however, still a little bit different as I have described above))

However, this dvd writer can be recognized on my dell desktop (I have not done anything related to this dvd writer or previous dvd writer on my desktop). My Laptop (IBM T-42) uses Windows XP Pro. My Desktop (DELL) uses Windows 2000 Pro.

Does the update of firmware have anything to do with it?

Please help. Thanks.

5. ephone73

ephone73 Member

By the way, though the previous DVD writer does not work (I mean does not burn dvd-r, only burn cd-r, My T-42 still recognizes it. However, this time, my T-42 does not recognize the replaced dvd writer any more. By the way, I thought for Windows 2000 or windows XP Pro, there is no need to install USB driver for this types of plug-and-play device. Please help. Thanks.

6. flip218

If the drive works in your desktop then it's not the drives. It's your lappys.

Bad drivers somewhere.

7. ephone73

ephone73 Member

However, all my other external USB devices work perfectly. (I mean other external harddrives which use USB 2.0 too, USB memories) So if the USB port is not good, how could there is no problem with other USB devices??? Please advise.