1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is a real puzzler! DVD Won't play - READ ON FRIENDS

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sluweeze, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sluweeze

sluweeze Guest

Okay people, this forum has always saved me in the past so here is the problem. I have backed up about 20 DVD's and they all play fine on my "POS" Cyberhome DVD player. Then I tried to backup season 4 of The Simpsons. The backup copy works on my other "POS" Go-Video DVD player, but it doesn't work on the Cyberhome player. WHAT MAKES THIS DIFFERENT from the normal 'MY BACKUP WON'T PLAY' post is this: The Simpsons backup was made with the exact same programs (DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor) as all my other backups. THE MEDIA IS THE SAME (HP DVD+R 8x) THE BURNER IS THE SAME, EVERYTHING IS THE SAME. But The Simpsons backup won't play on the Cyberhome machine. I even backed up the tricky 'Resident Evil Apocalypse' in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY with the same media. I know the burn is succesful because it plays on the 'Go-Video' player. What is so different about The Simpsons DVD that good ol 'cyber-home' won't read it?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Do you have any RWs to experiment with? It could be the particular disc you burned it on. Not all the discs in the pack are going to work 100%. If you can spare an extra disc, try it again and see if your results are different. Also want to mention that your Cyberhome isn't exactly on the reliable side.
    Good luck.

3. sergiofar

sergiofar Guest

Just as a note it has been my experience that you are better off burning +R media with a booktype of DVD ROM, you have better success at playing on stand alone players. If your burner supports bitsetting (you can research the topic) then I recomend you do it as +R's have higher compatibility issues with stand alone players than do -R's. If your stand alone dvd player says "no disc" than i bet this is the problem, hope it helps and good luck.

4. sluweeze

sluweeze Guest

I don't have any RW's but I was thinking the same thing because nothing sucks as much as wasting all your good discs. I have tried it with 3 different discs so I am pretty sure that the media is good. I didn't know about the DVD+R compatiblity thing. I am going to reaserch the 'bitsetting' thing. I'll let you know how it turns out (fingers crossed) Thanks for the imput.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

My son;s DVD player is a cyberhome player they got from their grandparents. Some of the DVD's I back up work on it and some dont. Its a cheaper player and can get real touchy as my son's have found out. So more then likly its just a DVD that cyberhome just wont read.

6. sluweeze

sluweeze Guest

Yeah I kind of figured, I am just waiting for income tax return season to drop kick the little sucker. I guess touchy is the right word. What else can you expect for $30?