1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is probably a silly question but .......................

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by worzelll, Jan 12, 2007.

1. worzelll

worzelll Member

I have just used Magic DVD Ripper to convert some DVD files to MPEG2. That took about 15 minutes. I then removed the commercials and converted MPEG2 back to DVD. That took 90 minutes.

So why does it take six times as long to convert MPEG2 to DVD as DVD to MPEG2?

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

DVD format is mpeg2. When you went from DVD to mpeg2, the program simply copied the video stream that already existed.

After editing, the mpeg2 stream was likely re-encoded from start to finish due to the edits, increasing the time. Authoring/editing programs like TMPGEnc Author are considerably faster at this.

3. worzelll

worzelll Member

Many thanks

4. Smurfs7

Smurfs7 Guest

I'm sorry but that is silly......

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  5. Smurfs7

Smurfs7 Guest

I'm sorry but that is silly......

6. zeiram

zeiram Guest

Now why did you do this.Mpeg2 is the dvd format, why reconvert when you only had to reburn it using nero or some such program.

Smurfs7

is there a point to your 2 posts, which i do believe to be in violation of the rules or are you just padding your post count

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@zeiram

I believe the member said ads/commercials were removed. Some programs re-encode the whole reauthored stream while others just stitch together the changes. I'm not familiar with the programs the member used, but my guess is whatever was used did a lot of re-encoding, accounting for the time taken. Editing/authoring programs like TMPGEnc Author minimize the amount of re-encoding needed and are thus quicker.

8. zeiram

zeiram Guest

Magic dvd ripper isnt that great an application.
    To alleviate some of these issues we really need to know all the facts, not just some of them.The member hasnt given you the most saliant ones such as pc stats.Encoding generally is very resource hungry and to limit this effect on time and pc you would have to upgrade your pc with faster chip, more ram.We dont know what he has.Its easy to recommend an application or say

'
    but unless we know all the facts you cant recommend anything.You can surmise but thats about as far as it goes.
    I f i had a choice i would of suggested a dedicated application to re encode like convert x.............

zei