1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This new big thing (PSX on PSP) general questions/concerns

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Oblivious, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Oblivious

Oblivious Member

Well after a nasty comp failure, I come back to then net after being completely shut off. Now I find that I can run custom 3.03 (#?) firmware to play PSX ISO's on my PSP? I'm overjoyed but overwhelmed. I want to get into doing this,but I'm confused. I can find loads of technicial info but there's a few *general* things I'd like cleared up if I may?

First, What is the chronology of the release numbers, and what is the latest one as of now? I see A and B, and also some 3.02 thrown in there and all have cries of them being the latest and greatest depending on what site I look at.

Second, I see something called 'Popstation' is needed to *convert* your own ISO images to a compatable format. So then, do I need to extract them with another program first, or can this porgram take them from disc for me, too?

Third, I hear both that I need a PS3 and that I don't, and something about needing 'Hot Shots'files? Can this be cleared up? (NOT asking for where to get anything, just a technicial question)

Also I hear one release of the firmware can support ISO compression. So, then, is this compression handled from the firmware, from this 'popstation', or from something else entirely?

And finally - and perhaps most importantly, is, I have a 1.5 using devhook to run 2.71 on the side. What happens to that? Do I have to give up 1.5's virtues, or can the 3.0X custom firmware be emulated like I have it now?

Thanks for any clarification, and sorry if anything here can't be asked/dicussed, I'm not sure on that either.

2. rsrepp

rsrepp Regular member

Ok basically the new firmware is 3.03 OE-B. It is able to run psp games as EBOOTs. In order to get these EBOOTs you use popstation. Popstation converts your psx iso's into eboots. This new firmware combines both 3.03 and 1.50 so you get all the homebrew goodness as well.